• Fired for running through a banner...

• General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.
General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.

Moderator: thebigc

by blippo

You'd be good management material.

by Otto Vondrak

I don't want to pressure anyone here, but let's not gang up on the original poster... I think we've said our peace. Can we move on to something else more productive?

-otto-

by thebigc

Otto,

The point everyone else is trying to make is that there's no future in being a rat. And trying to create a diversion after you've screwed up, by ratting on everyone and anyone, is an ineffective tactic. At the terminal I currently work out of, we've just went through this scenario. It cost a bunch of us some money but the individual is being terminated anyhow.

by jz441

I remember about 8-9 years ago, a new hire in his late 20's or early 30's just marked up and was working the switchman's extra board... This guy could not stop bitching about how much down time we had, people reading news paper on the engine, playing domino's at the lobby... etc.
Now, us who have been around for a while, know how things flow on the railroad... There are busy times when you work through without going to lunch, and there are slow times when most jobs are at the crew lobby, doing whatever...
This guy just couldn't sit still, even though we reminded him that he is getting paid.
Unfortunately, that wasn't good enough for him, so this "switchman" wrote a very detailed letter to the corporate office, blowing everyone in, including the local managers...

As you can imagine, this switchman with "high standards" doesn't work here any more... It didn't take long after that for him to get fired.

by Grump

Hmmmm....
The guys rats everyone else out for breaking rules.
Yet, he can't take the heat when he violates rules....

Total hypocrite.

by ExCRHog

When it comes to squealers, what goes around comes around. People who can't control their trains (engineers AND conductors) get other people hurt or killed.

by Amtrak700

I worked w/ guys like this when i was in freight service, they didnt have too many friends, being a rat on the RR you may as well just go home & find a new job, nice guy you are to dime out your brothers, glad you were never my conductor, I would have left you at the switch bro. Then you could have turned me in. You would be great management material.

by Gadfly

Amtrak700 wrote:I worked w/ guys like this when i was in freight service, they didnt have too many friends, being a rat on the RR you may as well just go home & find a new job, nice guy you are to dime out your brothers, glad you were never my conductor, I would have left you at the switch bro. Then you could have turned me in. You would be great management material.
Rats and suck-ups either get fired, hurt---------------or promoted! :( They aren't much good for anything else! And it is often the newbies that do it trying to make brownie points with the bosses; they think it will advance their career. Often they get shunned and get the silent treatment from the brothers!

Gadfly

by CSX Conductor

Amtrak700 wrote:I would have left you at the switch bro.
LOL, that actually happened about 3 or 4 years ago in Westboro. Engineer was almost expired and Utility Man was putsing around. They left him out there as to not outlaw on the main and the utility (with 20+years on the railroad) snitched on him the next morning. The only trouble the engineer got in was speeding (50MPH with a lite engine), but he was always a hot runner. :(

by Amtrak700

Kinda funny about 10 years ago ML-433 (Fram-Selk) was my regular job on Sunday nights, we had a cdr trainee that was brain dead, he wanted to hand out in the old trailer at W'boro, we told him we were hookin 3 tracks, and goin, he neglected to come out when we made the last double, so we left him. He later returned to Selkirk on a freight train. Most of the B&A guys ran hot, and there was nothin wrong with that, at least when it was Conrail!!

by jz441

CSX Conductor wrote: The only trouble the engineer got in was speeding (50MPH with a lite engine), but he was always a hot runner. :(
What's the max speed for a light engine on CSX? For us is 70 mph.

by Burner

jz441 wrote:
CSX Conductor wrote: The only trouble the engineer got in was speeding (50MPH with a lite engine), but he was always a hot runner. :(
What's the max speed for a light engine on CSX? For us is 70 mph.
Unless the dynos arent enough to control the speed :) Then its 45...

UP Rules

by frank502

HermitNS

When I worked freight (CSX)no one liked rats. Rats are generally not popular in union environments. Bosses don't even really like rats.

There are times when supervision would rather "not know" about something. But when some rat brings this something to their attention...they have to act. So now, the boss has no use for this person because they caused him to have to deal with an issue he would have rather left alone or not known about.

I've seen this first hand when I was at CSX. It concerned an incident that took place between New Castle PA & Willard OH. No one was injured & no equipment was damaged/derailed. Things were handled off the radio & a major rules violation was covered up. Then someone told a roadforman of this incident in a room full of people. Now the roadforman HAD to act on this & a MOW guy got major time off.

I'm glad you don't work with me. I don't like rats either.

If you get back...stop dimeing out your coworkers & worry about yourself.

Getting in trouble at work on the RR is easy but there is no reason to be a snitch.

by LCJ

Beat that dead horse! Beat it!

by peorge

"Yea, I know, regardless of what I say, we were at fault for the accident BY THE RULES. "

you say you were in charge of the flight deck on a carrier (air boss?). then you better then anyone should know how important the rules are. break the rules and people die. i am a signal maintainer (very new) and know how important the rules are for all of us so just take accountability for your actions and dont keep fighting the company because you will not win. if i were in trouble with the rr i would not post about it on the forums, i would just shut my mouth and hope for the best. in my opion it sounds more like your attitude then the violation that got you out of service. i was in the navy for a long time and they play the same way as you already know. just try and learn from all of these guys and you will be better off, dont fight because you are to new to the rr to have any chance.
you scare me, whats next if they put you back in service? one of use craft guys have an EC1 and you just blow it off and run us down?

good luck, peorge