• Finger Lakes Railway (FGLK) Discussion

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

by ScotCP356

Well CSX has did it again! They put the GMTX 3301 on CSX Q385 (Selkirk-Russell KY). The train is now out of the state and guess what..... the GMTX 3301 IS STILL ON! This tell me that CSX doesn't has the brain at all to deliver that thing to the Finger Lakes Railway. Geez, I would've let the NS to deliver the unit instead of CSX! smh!

-Scott
  by sd80mac

Apparently "History dont repeat" doesnt apply to CSX... a lot of ping pong of cars and DIT locomotives after Day One...
  by lvrr325

Could be they're getting a few horsepower hours out of it. Has happened before.

FWIW, these SD38-2s may be de-turboed SD40-2's, I've done some searching but so far no leads as to heritage on these engines.
  by terms-d

lvrr325 wrote:Could be they're getting a few horsepower hours out of it. Has happened before.

FWIW, these SD38-2s may be de-turboed SD40-2's, I've done some searching but so far no leads as to heritage on these engines.
Billing issues have been the culprit on this one -- hopefully it'll be on FGLK property by the end of the week. It's been dead & drained since it left Paducah.

3303 is indeed a de-turboed SD40-2, previously FURX 8130 per the blue card. No idea on 3301's heritage.
  by lvrr325

Ahh, FURX 8130 ex-BN 8130, built 6/80. I wonder how well it was refurbished?
  by ScotCP356

Per TO: Sunday's run of CSX Q378 has the GMTX 3301. Q378 is Willard to Buffalo mix freight, runs daily. So will it be this time around when CSX finally drops the unit off?

-Scott
  by RailBus63

3301 is sitting as the last unit in a consist on the siding next to the Wegmans in East Syracuse this morning.
  by nessman

Small write-up and pictures about Martisco Station and the CNYRHS.

http://www.syracuse.com/living/index.ss ... ation.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Marcellus, N.Y. -- A couple miles north of Marcellus the Martisco Station Railway Museum gives a look back at railroading's past. The building is a former New York Central Railroad station built in 1870 and is maintained by the Central New York Chapter of the National Railway Historical Society.
  by XC Tower

Thinking of making a road trip to check out the Finger Lakes Railway this month. Any tips and suggestions as to where and when I should travel to?
Thank you for any help.

XC
  by lvrr325

Depends what you want to see, but the best bet is to start in Geneva. Look things over on the maps, plan your routes. You can chase most of their trains depending on traffic levels, you can't get every single shot there is, but generally every other one is possible.

With no leaves out, it might be possible right now to get a unique shot looking across the valley from Rt. 174 instead of the usual Martisco Station shot.
  by Clif

Heads Up,

Finger Lakes Railway 3304, headed northbound on CSX Nashville to Louisville mainline, 11:50am 18 Apr. The engine is in Finger Lakes Railway paint.
  by ScotCP356

Clif wrote:Heads Up,

Finger Lakes Railway 3304, headed northbound on CSX Nashville to Louisville mainline, 11:50am 18 Apr. The engine is in Finger Lakes Railway paint.

I thought it was GMTX 3300 that FGLK leased not 3304? And does anybody know the latest on it's location??

-Scott