• Finger Lakes Railway (FGLK) Discussion

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

by lvrr325

There's a huge difference between engines which simply have different radiator sections and the differences between a cab unit and a road switcher. To be technically correct the F's probably should be referred to as an F10-2 or some other designation to account for the horsepower and electrical upgrades.
  by ScotCP356

For those who didn't know, CSX Q640-04 has the GMTX 3303 in NYC paint scheme, with the letters Finger Lakes Railway on the side. The train made it to Syracuse but I don't know if they drop the engine off at Dewitt Yard for Y11X to head west to Solvay.

-Scott
  by CP4743

The GMTX 3303 went to Selkirk on Q640. It arrived there around noon on 12-7. Power went to the service area where it sat for the rest of Sunday. Unit was facing WB and trailing on the Q640 power.

John
  by lvrr325

300? It's been roaming CSX for a full month. CSX is going to owe Finger Lakes an engine for six months to make up all those horsepower hours.
  by BR&P

Has it been working around the system, or just sitting in engine terminals waiting for someone to decide to move it along?
  by Matt Langworthy

Would CSX owe horsepower hours if the engine isn't used? Or would they just owe a per diem for an idle piece of equipment?
  by terms-d

BR&P wrote:Has it been working around the system, or just sitting in engine terminals waiting for someone to decide to move it along?
Hasn't been used by CSX as power. It did sit in Cumberland, MD for 2 weeks for air issues.
  by scharnhorst

Can an operation like FGLK sue a mismanaged half ass run operation like CSX for such a long delay in deliveries of equipment and or rolling stock? There has to be some sort of Fine out there that the FRA could slap on them.
  by BR&P

scharnhorst wrote:Can an operation like FGLK sue a mismanaged half ass run operation like CSX for such a long delay in deliveries of equipment and or rolling stock? There has to be some sort of Fine out there that the FRA could slap on them.
The FRA does not enforce service standards, they are concerned with safety regulations. And since FGLK relies on CSX for a very significant portion of their traffic, a lawsuit for something of that sort would be starting the type of "contest" that nobody wins.

If memory serves me, when CSX bought their first B-23's from Conrail, the units worked their way all around the CR system for quite a while before they were finally delivered to FGLK.
  by RailBus63

scharnhorst wrote:Can an operation like FGLK sue a mismanaged half ass run operation like CSX for such a long delay in deliveries of equipment and or rolling stock? There has to be some sort of Fine out there that the FRA could slap on them.
FGLK would likely have a bigger issue with the leasing company not providing the agreed-upon unit at the designated time, if that is what happened. If I'm receiving a shipment, I could care less how it gets to me as long as it shows up on time and in one piece.
  by lvrr325

"CSX hasn't been using the unit" ... sure, just like they weren't using the NYS&W SD60s enroute that I personally saw one go screaming by with only one CSX unit ahead of it and smoke visible out the stack.

I saw that when in Kentucky it was waiting for some kind of inspection. Must be a great engine if it's hardly out of the shop and they have to go fix stuff.

Does anyone know what the heritage is on it, or do we need to wait for it to show up someplace where the serial or frame number can be checked?
  by BR&P

lvrr325 wrote:. Must be a great engine if it's hardly out of the shop and they have to go fix stuff.
Is that referring to this FGLK unit, or the NYSW unit you saw? Where are we hearing something has to be fixed? I just assumed (yeah....I know.... :wink: ) it was just part of the PLAN that it had to go to Selkirk and come back west.
  by lvrr325

I'm not even going to dignify this one by quoting stuff from just a few posts up the page plus info from the link I posted, just read the page again, it's getting tiring when people can't even follow the discussion through six or eight posts.