• Finger Lakes Railway (FGLK) Discussion - 2013

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

by scharnhorst

CPSD40-2 wrote:Haven't seen them myself, but I hear there are, or were earlier in the week, two CEFX units in Geneva on FGLK's property?
these two units were in the Yard in Solvay on April 28th maybe these are the ones in question?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
  by terms-d

Does anyone know what there going to be used for??? A guy in Geneva told me they might be used in Himrod but im hoping they put them on the victor train...itd be cool to see big power in Manchester yard again
  by terms-d

CPSD40-2 wrote:Haven't seen them myself, but I hear there are, or were earlier in the week, two CEFX units in Geneva on FGLK's property?
does anyone have any photos of them in geneva yard???
  by lvrr325

CEFX 3126, ex-SP 9006/7480, SD45 rebuilt to SD40-2M; a Google search shows it was previously on lease to the NYS&W.

Not sure what Finger Lakes would want them for, they have more than enough power right now and so far as I know did not want 6-axle power. For a while there used SD40-2's were super cheap to buy, they could have bought plenty. They'd be overkill on a run to Victor and I'm sure could not handle the curve to service the insulator plant regardless.
  by scharnhorst

It is only a roamer and it's been kicking around sents last summer and I had heard it from someone on Finger Lakes and from a few other people as well that there was talk of leasing 2 GP38-2's. This fairy tail was started by one of the engineers in Geneva telling story's at Lake City Hobby I heard it there and from a vary skeptical Auburn crew as well.

I would suspect that if there was or were any CEFX units to appear in Geneva they most likely came up on Norfolk Southern stayed the night and left in the morning??
  by lvrr325

Just throwing it out there, perhaps the NYS&W folks outlawed in Solvay and that's where they had to tie it down, resulting in the above photo. I certainly can't think of any logical reason beyond that, although as we well know railroads and logic are often mutually exclusive.
  by Awol

You mean these two in Geneva? Hear they were here for some sort of contract work, repaint maybe?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
  by joha107

Finger Lakes is leasing them to use on GS-2, heard about this back in February but was hoping it wasn't true.
  by Mike Stellpflug

nessman wrote:
Mike Stellpflug wrote:From ERN:

http://www.easternrailroadnews.com/2013 ... six-axles/
ERN is a subscription website. I hit their stupid paywall when clicking on the link. More reason to hate this hobby. Ya know because everything is such a "secret".

So be a pal and tell us what it says.
Sorry about that.
I don't have a paid subscription, but apparently I have access to the news.
It won't let me copy and paste the story either....grrrrrr.

Basically, it says they are leasing the units to try out on the Geneva to Solvay trains.

Mike
  by nessman

How lame - paid subscription to read essentially what are press-releases that you can quickly Google-search for free?

I thought Kevin Burkholder folded ERN some years ago because no one was subscribing?
  by poppyl

Bout dropped my teeth when I read the "Himrod and six axle" rumor. Besides the condition of the roadbed in either direction, there isn't enough traffic to warrant that kind of power, even on the upgrade climb from Watkins Glen.

Poppyl
  by Awol

poppyl wrote:Bout dropped my teeth when I read the "Himrod and six axle" rumor. Besides the condition of the roadbed in either direction, there isn't enough traffic to warrant that kind of power, even on the upgrade climb from Watkins Glen.

Poppyl

I 'bout spit out my liquor reading that you 'bout dropped your teeth... Thank-you for the laugh