Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

by MNR's #1 Conductor

FL9AC wrote:well, the cab cars have toilets on board, so... :wink:
Find me a cab car that doesn't stink!!! That "ICHABOD CRANE", #6121, which has been on the Danbury "Mini-Bomb" since I been on my assignment before the Danbury Branch "Bustitution", was a reeker the last time I worked it :-D
  by DutchRailnut

Like a LIRR conductor once said: "even pig sty's are clean and odor free till you put the pigs in "
  by tun

My first ride on a Bomb was on 6131. Nice to know it was an Ex WOH cab car.
  by Darien Red Sox

FL9AC wrote:well, the cab cars have toilets on board, so... :wink:
I am used to riding in the first car every day and most of the time it if fine. Is this smell still left over from when it was operated by NJT, I have herd that there bathroom cars smell relay bad?
  by FL9AC

I am used to riding in the first car every day and most of the time it if fine. Is this smell still left over from when it was operated by NJT, I have herd that there bathroom cars smell relay bad?
No, it's just the fact that the bathroom cars aren't the most pleasant of cars to ride in. Between servicing intervals they tend to get ripe. With the WOH cars fully rebuilt with completely different bathrooms installed, I highly doubt the smell is "lingering" from their NJT service :wink: .
  by Port Jervis

FL9AC wrote:
No, it's just the fact that the bathroom cars aren't the most pleasant of cars to ride in. Between servicing intervals they tend to get ripe. With the WOH cars fully rebuilt with completely different bathrooms installed, I highly doubt the smell is "lingering" from their NJT service :wink: .
The worst smelling bathrooms have to be on the LIRR's C-3's. I find NJT's cars to be the least smelliest cars in the area.
  by Train2009

At Tarrytown Station on Saturday I saw the Ex of Hudson Comet Cab Car on Train #8843 Hudson line Express to Poughkeepsie Train and #8741 Croton Harmon Express Train. But I could't tell what numbers they were because it was getting dark outside.
  by M1 9147

What's so funny is last Sunday, while at Manitou, I don't what train # it was, but had 6125 as the cab car (Ex 5175). I took a picture of it back in 2001 while laid up in Hoboken in the old stripe/logo/ditch light placement, etc. Then I took the picture of it last Sunday, and you can still see the remninces of where the old ditch light was, and the old 2 tone M was in front. Never less not forget it had the K5LA horn, and strobe light on top (based on NJT pool service standards). I was there 6/14/01 at Hoboken, and had a vivid memory of the MN Comet II WOH consists, and this was when the few Shoreliner I coaches were transferred over as an add on of the WOH Comet II, and they were called Comet IIS (S for Shoreliner), and like MN does here, NJT mixed up the MN Comet IIS, Comet IIB, and Comet IIA's. (Comet IIA was the Arrow shell cars built as coaches).
  by CNJGeep

IA, not IIA.
  by M1 9147

Yea I stand corrected! IIA is the Bombardier's, and IA is the GE Arrow!
  by M1 9147

Little blurry, but that is 6131 (ex 5178)!
  by M1 9147

And just to give you guys the 5175 aka 6125 from 6/14/01 to just a couple of weeks ago:

6/14/01 at Hoboken:

And 11/15/09 at Manitou:

Look closely at the second image, and you can see the scars of where the ditch lights used to be, and the old location of the 2 tone M's.
  by R36 Combine Coach

Looks odd at first. A train of Shoreliner and then at front is a Comet II. At least you can still ride or catch a Comet II cab, since all the NJT Comet II cabs were rebuilt into Comet IIMs.