• East kansas

• Discussion about the Union Pacific operations past and present. Official site can be found here: UPRR.COM.
Discussion about the Union Pacific operations past and present. Official site can be found here: UPRR.COM.

Moderator: GOLDEN-ARM

by Tadman

Folks, I just moved to Lawrence, KS, and know nothing about the local UP operations - if anybody wants to comment, I'd appreciate it because I hate knowing nothing about the trains. From photos on the web, it seems there used to be SLSF and CRIP run-thrus or track rights, but lately all I see is armor yellow and bandit SP units. Also, was this line once called "Kansas Pacific"?

Finally, some of my Don Ball books are my best ref here, seeing pics of turbines howl thru my new home town is amazing - too bad all we see is the same GE/EMD show I saw on NS in South Bend.

by John_Perkowski

Mr Tadman,

Welcome to the western edge of the KC Metro ;).

The historic Union Pacific you speak of is in fact the Kansas Pacific. It was absorbed into the system before the Harriman era. In the days of districts and divisions, the Kansas Division belonged to the Eastern District. Division points were Armstrong Yard (KC KS), Salina, and The "traditional" division points were Salina, Sharon Springs, and Denver, with the 4th subdivision splitting off at Menoken and going up to Nebraska.

Someone who has a recent ETT can give you the current division point mix.

There is also the ex-Rock Island which wends its way out of Kansas City. It was taken over by SP in the 80s, which brought it into UPs fold in the merger.

Hit me in PM, mebbe we can hook up over Labor Day weekend and I can introduce you to Kansas City railroading!

John Perkowski