• Downeast Scenic Railroad (DSRX) Discussion - 2005-2010

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

by Otto Vondrak

Hi Leverett... thanks for the update... keep us posted when you can! We have interested parties here...

-otto-
  by jrheavymetal

I noticed that the Green Mountain Ralroadcame up here, an I have been taking photos and retracing the exact route that the cog train took. I know there are many train buffs here, and I'm hopingmy video will brng attntion to this little railroad and that the photos I shot will help preserve its memory. Here is a link to the slide show retracing the route the train took...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VYwuwNRBaQo

I also hope to find and discover other stories on here about other small train lines, in the New England area.
  by MEC407

To the delight of many locals (and to the chagrin of a few), the Downeast Scenic Railroad is now operating trains over a 3-mile stretch of track that they have finished rehabilitating.

Article in the Bangor Daily News:
ELLSWORTH, Maine — Downtown-area residents of the largest municipality in Hancock County were treated this weekend to a sound that has not been heard here for many years.

While people were outside Saturday walking on the downtown sidewalks of Main Street, hanging their laundry on clotheslines or mowing their lawns, the distinctive call came soaring through the air. A train locomotive repeatedly sounded its horn, signaling the approach of rail service coming back to coastal eastern Maine.

“It has been [nearly] 25 years since a locomotive has run on that line,” Gary Briggs, vice president of Downeast Rail Heritage Preservation Trust, said Monday. “It was a very exciting day for us.”
Read the rest at: http://www.bangordailynews.com/detail/114260.html

I wish I could have been there to see and hear the old 54 chugging and burbling and tooting its Nathan horn. What a lovely sight and sound that hasn't been seen or heard in Ellsworth for a very long time.
  by bml1149

Hello,
As most of you have seen, we ran our first work train to Ellsworth August 1. We had our caboose, flat car and locomotive and had the train made up so as to shove it to Ellsworth and have the locomotive lead on the return trip. We were very happy with how well the train handled and how well the track felt. The next project we plan to do is the rebuild of Lincoln Street crossing. After that, Davis Street is next. Work continues on MEC coach 155. The windows are framed in and much interior wood has been replaced. We got some of the seats back from the upholstry shop, but the frames need to be cleaned and painted before they can be put back. Stay tuned....
Leverett Fernald
  by b&m 1566

I was on Mt. Desert Island August 1st to the 8th; were there any other runs besides that one?
Are there any plans to remove the "EXEMPT" signs at the crossings or are they staying?
  by thebigham

Great news!!! Thanks.
  by bml1149

Hello,
We will most likely be making a run Saturday to move materials for the upcoming crossing project. I don't know the specific time, but probably between 11 and 1. To answer your question about the "exempt" signs, we are in the process of having them removed between Washington Junction and Ellsworth Falls. The remainder of the line will stay "exempt" for now.
Leverett Fernald
  by calaisbranch

Leverett,

Just last night, I remembered reading your "heads up" of the possible run to Lincoln Street this Saturday. So, my oldest boy and I took a chance this morning and headed into Ellsworth at about 11:30. There were a lot of people working at WJ and 54 was indeed hooked up to a flatcar and the caboose. However, it wasn't running as of yet. We went and got some drinks to handle the heat and mosied around the Junction area until about 1:30. What would have been our last drive by turned out having us find the new rail truck at the crossing of Washington Junction Road. Knowing what that usually means, we looked toward the yard and saw the lashup with 54 heading for the crossing! We hung around the nearest parking lot to watch the train go through the crossing with flaggers. An idiot in a car nearly ran over one of the ground guys. From there, we went back into town to bag a couple pics near High Street and Allen's Blueberry.
Lot's of guys on the train, and many locals coming out to see what they were hearing. In thirty years of coming to and living in the area,this was my first time seeing a train on the line. Pretty sweet, and that 54 has one nice horn!
  by jonnhrr

Heard from a contact up there that their 2nd engine a Davenport switcher has arrived and was unloaded Saturday.

Saturday there was also a work train that unloaded rail and ties for the Lincoln St. crossing work.

Jon
  by GP40MC1118

Anyone know the heritage of the Davenport?

Dave
  by Benjamin Maggi

I am building a 1/8 scale model of this style of Davenport to run on 7.25" gauge track. The Catskill Mountain Railroad in NY has one as well. I would love to hear more details about this one as well.
  by jwhite07

Leverett/others--

Any more recent doings? I'll be up on "the auld sod" Thanksgiving weekend and would like to see what's progressed since my last visit in August.