• Double Deck Passenger Cars

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

by Diverging Route

sery2831 wrote:Saw the 4 cars behind BET today, I didnt get to see if they had electric doors or not. But the trend tells me they are going to be more old colony cars :-(
This morning while inbound on the 306 I could see S-1016-915-914-913-912-N out in front of BET, and 991-918-917-916 on the north side. It's interesting that the set in front had 1016 in the "pushing" position, i.e. with the F-end nosed up against 915. And no control car was mated to the set.

by Robert Paniagua

991? There's no such unit as 991 unless you mixed it up with 911 or 901.

by sery2831

He ment 919 which would be the highest number K car we have now.

by Diverging Route

Robert Paniagua wrote:991? There's no such unit as 991 unless you mixed it up with 911 or 901.
My pal SERY is absolutely correct. If you add "1" to 918 you get 919. Sorry if my fingers typed out-of-order so early in the morning.

BET's yards are filling fast with Kcars!

Let's get some flatties over to the North Side, OK MBCR? We could use a few 7-car sets in rush hour.

by CRail

Diverging Route wrote:Let's get some flatties over to the North Side, OK MBCR? We could use a few 7-car sets in rush hour.
Wait, you want MBCR to do something for the north side? All of the 33 Kcars will most likely be here and on the south side before the north sees anything more as far as equipment, although from what i understand, more german cars are showing up on the north side.

by railfan101

CRail wrote:
Diverging Route wrote:Let's get some flatties over to the North Side, OK MBCR? We could use a few 7-car sets in rush hour.
Wait, you want MBCR to do something for the north side? All of the 33 Kcars will most likely be here and on the south side before the north sees anything more as far as equipment, although from what i understand, more german cars are showing up on the north side.

I have the pleasure of commuting daily on both the North and South side. I can't believe the difference in the two sides. It is as if the south side is royalty and the north are the peasants. I don't understand why the north can't get some K cars or at least more 200's.

by Red Wing

This week I've ridden a couple of 7 car trains on 308 this morning and 333 last night. I was lucky and took 331 so I don't know how 333 was today. (Lowell line trains)

by railfan101

Red Wing wrote:This week I've ridden a couple of 7 car trains on 308 this morning and 333 last night. I was lucky and took 331 so I don't know how 333 was today. (Lowell line trains)

I believe these 7 car trains are for the weekend holiday polar express trains

by sery2831

There is only ONE 7 car train on the north side currently, and it has 2 german cars. I have not seen it yet, but I have seen it on the daily consist report.
And yes it's for the Polar Express charters...

by CRail

you would think they would put nice cars on the polar express. (200's, yes john i called them nice cars. in the publics eye... they are) :wink:

by Diverging Route

CRail wrote:you would think they would put nice cars on the polar express. (200's, yes john i called them nice cars. in the publics eye... they are) :wink:
This member of the "public" much prefers to ride in the MBB car with its 2x2 seating... I call it "first class."

Or, if I'm on the South Side, I go for one of the singles (upper level of course) in the Kcar.

by Ron Newman

What is the 'polar express' ?

by CRail

The commuter rail does special trips for christmas where they decorate a train and read stories and such.

by Robert Paniagua

However, to add to his message, they don't go all the way to Canada, they probably go to New Hampshire and back, unless they go somewhere else.

by sery2831

The Polar Express trains are private charters, and MBCR only provides the equipment and crew. The people who charter the trains decorate and do everything else. There is one this Sunday on the Western Route...