Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

by Backshophoss

The P-40's at Beech Grove most likely on shop trucks or defective trucks due to the need to replace defective trucks on the P-42's
Amtrak may have gotten the wrong instructions from GE on truck maintaince,and is now replacing the trucks (entire P-40/42 fleet in service).

Top Deck is like a valve job on a car,injectors.valves,camshaft,and the heads get inspected,repaired/replaced as needed,
new gaskets/seals are installed as well.
  by fl9m2004

Any gp40-2's around this week
  by runningwithscalpels

Yeah, I see one every morning when I'm getting coffee in Branford crossing the bridge over Route 1. Not around to babysit the tracks during the day, but as a rule of thumb I tend to see them more often than the P40s.
  by fl9m2004

Both 1640-1644 had p40's 838-836
  by NHAirLine

They sort of cycle in and out. Mostly P40's for a while, mostly Geep's for a while... unless it just depends on the times I see them which could be the case. And holy crap, they're overhauling those things? The Geeps were built in 1972, IIRC.

CDOT is really screwing themselves by going to EMUs with the need for straight high-level platforms, which are going to be a lot tougher if they ever extend to Westerly. They should go to loco-hauled Electric. Amtrak should have some toasters available soon... Get some 125mph cars somewhere and they could almost run a toaster flat out until it was time to slam on the brakes for the next station!

Those things are pigs for SPG. They are sized for 6-8 car trains, like MBTA, not the dinky little 4-car things we see. CDOT should look into DMU's, as they are a heck of a lot more efficient, and a lot quieter. Those turbocharged Geeps absolutely scream during acceleration.
  by fl9m2004

They may scream while revving up but they don't smoke like those ugly p40's
I personally like riding behind these engines really good sounds of engine while its in both push and pull mode
  by NHAirLine

What did Amtrak do to those poor P40's? Other Dash-8-40B derivatives don't seem to have nearly as bad of a smoking issue.
  by lirr42

You mean what did ConnDOT not do to those poor P40's to make them smoke like that! (i.e. treat them kindly and maintain them well)
  by NHAirLine

Well, yes, they should have cleaned up Amtrak's mess with those. But Amtrak still made the mess...
  by lirr42

I think they were in poor shape out of the box, but they have gotten worse since (other than painting over the logos ConnDOT did not and is not doing much to keep them running).
  by NHAirLine

True. They seem like a band-aid to add more service and get to electrification.
  by F-line to Dudley via Park

MBTA's putting some/most/(all?) of its GP40MC's up for sale when its new MPI HSP-46 order comes in. And since those just came out of a full top-deck overhaul and HEP rehab program last year they're in arguably the best shape they've ever been in as passenger power. They simply don't want them because they're fleet outliers on what will be a majority HSP-46 + F40PH-2C/F40PHM-2C fleet and parts are getting more scarce. So CDOT could be playing this correctly rebuilding its Geeps while running the P40's into the ground like their time on this planet is short. Secondhand purchases with more maint commonality to their mainstays might be more economical than bothering to give the less-than-stellar first generation Gennie crud a midlife overhaul.
  by NH2060

NHAirLine wrote:CDOT is really screwing themselves by going to EMUs with the need for straight high-level platforms, which are going to be a lot tougher if they ever extend to Westerly.
How so? The catenary is there, high levels are going up on track 1 soon, and at some point higher frequencies will justify electric power. Plus with EMUs dwell/slow down/start up times at stations can be reduced, etc. which will no doubt please Amtrak. And when the time comes to extend service to Westerly the station will need to be ADA accessible per federal requirements so new high levels will have to put in somewhere at the station anyway on way or another. The Syosset LIRR station is also on a curve and no problems there with spotting trains on the platform. It's New London and Mystic that will be the more difficult ones to deal with as they have some of the sharpest curves and (as I said earlier) they'll have to be ADA compliant if they're going to get commuter service that could see significant boarding numbers.
They should go to loco-hauled Electric. Amtrak should have some toasters available soon... Get some 125mph cars somewhere and they could almost run a toaster flat out until it was time to slam on the brakes for the next station!
Other than the Amfleets- of which there are no cars to spare for commuter runs- and the Acela coaches there's no other 125mph rated coaching stock to snag at the moment. And until the Amfleet III order is placed no one is building anything remotely close at the moment. And besides 125mph is just too fast for SLE operations anyways. And that's not even because of the extensive curvature of the route. The distance betweens stations makes it moot. Better to have equipment that can accelerate/decelerate faster (such the M8s)
They are sized for 6-8 car trains, like MBTA, not the dinky little 4-car things we see.
I don't recall ever seeing either the Geeps or the P40s push/pull more than 5 cars per engine. I remember in the summer of 2000 seeing a number of SLE trains with such a consist. There are photos of a Yale Regatta special which has 2 Geeps and 7 SPV coaches. And the 2011 Sailfest fireworks special had 2 Geeps bracketing 8 Mafersas. So it sure sounds like those engines can only haul so much on their own. Though for NHHS, at least in the near term, 5 cars just might be more than enough per train even in the AM and PM peak. And if ridership levels warrant longer trains, whose to say 2 engines couldn't be used then?
lirr42 wrote:I think they were in poor shape out of the box, but they have gotten worse since (other than painting over the logos ConnDOT did not and is not doing much to keep them running).
Well they were essentially work train engines by that time. Maybe a stint or two on the Auto Train, but other than that they were never meant to be commuter locos to begin with.[/quote]
I personally like riding behind these engines really good sounds of engine while its in both push and pull mode
Agreed. I always loved hearing them push a train out of the station. Gave me quite a thrill when I was younger :-D
  by DutchRailnut

The smoking is nothing but bad/old injectors, but CDOT employs filter changers, not diesel mechanics.
Those P40's have plenty of life in them, if you maintain them, and that includes both parts and paint.
  by DutchRailnut

after HEP a MNCR Genesis only delivers 2500 hp for traction.