Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

by Clean Cab

That may be true, but an EMD sounds so much better!!
  by runningwithscalpels

Clean Cab wrote:That may be true, but an EMD sounds so much better!!
You mean like this? =P http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QJHgO94bMAE
  by DutchRailnut

Yes John sound is so important for performance, kind og like a Mustang GT with Automatic transmission ;-)
  by Clean Cab

It may have had an automatic transmission, but it could blow your 6 cylander Mustang away!!
  by DutchRailnut

nope, ask Sean Farrel ;-)
  by Jeff Smith

DutchRailnut wrote:Yes John sound is so important for performance, kind og like a Mustang GT with Automatic transmission ;-)
I'm sorry John, but a Mustang Automatic qualifies as a crime against humanity.

And Dutch, not everyone got to serve in the Royal Dutch Navy for her Majesty Queen Trixie.

Me? I just did a burn out in a 99 Malibu with 250k with front wheel drive. Granted, the pavement was slightly wet and it was on a grade, but still ;-)
  by Clean Cab

This thread has been hijacked by car nuts!!!
  by Tadman

Hey some of us just like machines, be it trains or cars (or in my case, mechanical wristwatches - I spend time on that forum, too).

So the question arises - does Dutch drive a V6 Mustang?

If you live in a major metro area, automatic is acceptible. Try driving stick in city traffic, you'll want to jump in front of a fast train. When I moved back from BNSF territory to CTA territory a few years ago, I traded my 5-spd manual for a 5-spd auto. Way easier to chase trains, too...

Back to topic, If SLE has 12 locomotives and 4 are necessary, why don't they sell the 6 geeps? Those would be ideal for a shortline or regional and bring big money if de-turbo'd.
  by kitn1mcc

i think they plan to hold onto them for springfield line
  by Jeff Smith

And if they got off their ass, they could run them to New Milford as shuttles connecting to shuttles. Or to Torrington or Bristol as shuttles to shuttles. Instead of spending money on #buswayboondoggle.
  by shadyjay

Looks like overhauls for the GP40-2Hs and the P40s are in the cards:

http://www.biznet.ct.gov/scp_search/Bid ... ?CID=29619" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Summary: Overhaul of P40 and Top Deck Overhaul of GP40 Locomotives for the Connecticut Department of Transportation
So if this is the case, most likely these locomotives will be around for awhile and will be destined for NHHS service (after enough M-8s come online and platforms are upgraded to convert SLE over to "all electric". And most likely we'll see yet more "McGinnis"-inspired paint. The NH lives on.....
  by F-line to Dudley via Park

That was always the plan. Rehab them before the 2016 start of NHHS service. Although they were originally expecting them to be in storage for a few years, figuring the M8's would have taken over all SLE service much sooner. At the rate that order's going these locos may need to be put briskly through the overhaul program to be ready in time for their new assignment.

I'm wondering if 14 SLE locos is going to be enough for NHHS when contingencies for spares and shop time factor into the planned starter schedule. They might be interested in acquiring a few more...be it NJ Transit's 4 ex-ACES P40's or some of the MBTA's GP40MC's that'll be re-sold in 2015.
  by shadyjay

There's still some 14 or so unrebuilt P40s sitting on Amtrak. Not sure how far gone they are, but always a possibility.
  by NH2060

It's about time! I remember riding behind the Geeps to school back in 2006 and feeling infuriated of the train frequently being delayed.

Btw what exactly does a "top deck" overhaul involve? Seeing as the Geeps were fully rebuilt in the mid 90s is this yet another full rebuild?