• CSX Charlotte Runner

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

by nessman

Looks like they plan on using the Charlotte Runner in to Russell Station until 2015 where they plan to demolish it and haul debris out via rail or truck - but they have limited options to truck debris out due to the residential nature of the area:

http://www.democratandchronicle.com/art ... 302060024/
  by alsorailfan

Rather a bit late but today was my first chance to try and caption the pictures. Was on my way to do some errands that day but never got to it! Due to work, family commitments and so on, this was the only real train chasing I've done the past few months. Never got to go down to Lakeville for my Alco fix!
Focusing was a challenge due to being a very dark day. Hope you can overlook that!
Chris

https://picasaweb.google.com/1123575824 ... bTatdyj2AE
  by charlie6017

Great job grabbing those shots! ;-)

Charlie
  by alsorailfan

Thanks! (Clicked on those smilies but not showing up???)
  by Benjamin Maggi

How many loads a week does the box manufacturer usually receive? I wonder if it will be enough for CSX to keep the line open.
  by BR&P

Now just picture all that in the 1960's, with 2, 3 or even 4 RS-1's for power and a wooden caboose bringing up the rear! :-D

(I'm sure it was even better than that in about 1940 with steam power!)
  by roadster

Nice shots. Being Sunday, this must have been and extra, as the regular local is off on Sunday. Just to update some of your terminology. The "hook stick" is a Brake stick, CSX terminology. The brakemen, is actually the conductor, and a trainee (Yellow hat). Yes, plenty of people to smile and wave at you when I used to do this job. Mostly waved with 1 finger tho. Seems to be alot of amputees around Rochester, and they all seemed to be missing the same fingers. The box shop always used to get about 2-3 cars about 3 x a week. From what I've been told the regular local still goes up there 3 x a week at night. Seeing an extra job called means more traffic is coming and they needed to make room. Probably at Kodak and did the Box shop since they were going down there. Looks like a string of hoppers was already in Charlotte's West Yard, So they wanted to bring it all back to Goodman St.. I did be willing to bet there will be an empty hopper train going West outa Goodman st. today or tomorrow. As far as continuing to service the Box shop. CSX continued to service Birdseye in Fulton with about the same traffic, for the last 2 years before Birdseye closed down. And that was 11 miles of track between Radisson yard Baldwinnsville (Budwieser) and Fulton for 1 customer. I tend to think they'll continue to service them as long as Kodak is seeing service. The West yard which is seen and utilized in these photos is still used as a runaround point for lengthy hopper trains coming out of Kodak. It is a safer and easier move than running around more than 25 cars at the siding by Kodak.
  by BR&P

"It is a safer and easier move than running around more than 25 cars at the siding by Kodak."

Maybe safer, since you have stated the runaround tracks at Kodak are in bad shape. But easier to take the train all the way to Charlotte and all the way back up again? YGTBSM! CSX seems to have no idea of the cost of actual ton-miles vs. sold ton-miles. Yeah, I know, they're making money. It just seems they might be able to make MORE money if they cut down on running cars all over the system when it's avoidable.
  by sd80mac

BR&P wrote:"It is a safer and easier move than running around more than 25 cars at the siding by Kodak."

Maybe safer, since you have stated the runaround tracks at Kodak are in bad shape. But easier to take the train all the way to Charlotte and all the way back up again? YGTBSM! CSX seems to have no idea of the cost of actual ton-miles vs. sold ton-miles. Yeah, I know, they're making money. It just seems they might be able to make MORE money if they cut down on running cars all over the system when it's avoidable.
maybe they need some actions to write off the taxes??? :)
  by roadster

You need to consider the time involved, and safety is a prime issue. That extra 8 miles doesn't coast that much and operationally can be cheaper. If a conductor were injured or cars derailed how much more funds would be lost. The runaround move at Kodak using both sidings, requires the conductor to pull the train south, block Ridgeway ave. back onto the 2nd cut, pull that out. Stop restore derails, realign switches for the main, then walk 1/2 mile or more on uneven surfaces, at night, not exactly the best neighborhood, still blocking Ridgeway, and engines idling the entire time. That extra 8 miles run to safely runaround a large train, alot less walking in a much safer location and no streets blocked for excessively lengthy times, particularly when there is a customer that sees service regularly makes alot more sense. 1 customer is not going to make or break CSX, neither is just 8 miles of track. It's not all about the direct dollars. CSX quickly took the Northern portion of the B'ville sub O/S as soon as Birdseye shutdown. But there were no operational reasons to go further. Unlike the Charlotte Branch. As long as Kodak gets unit coal trains and there's a need to run around trains over a certain length. I'd expect the West yard to stay open. That coal train is big money and the cost of empty miles to return the train/car to the loading point is considered with the cost of loaded miles.
  by BR&P

You would not necessarily be blocking Ridgeway unless you had close to 50 cars, or more. How many does the siding hold, maybe 25? Or a bit less with today's cars. So anything up to that amount you put on the main and run around through the siding. Derails are not an issue. I presume derails are only on the north (downhill) ends anyway, right?

If you have, say 40, you put your 25 on the main (or whatever it will hold), 15 on the siding, run around through the Old Way (I'm making the assumption they would put both tracks into usable shape.) When you double the 15 onto the main you should still be clear Ridgeway, and your conductor has the 6-foot on the west side for somewhat reasonable walking conditions.

Having to switch Folding Box does make Charlotte a bit more attractive, although it would not be impossible to leave the cars from Kodak at Ridge Road. Can't recall the amount of grade at the box shop - will the cars roll by? (Or are you not allowed to do that?)

Over time things change, and the basic ground rules today are much different and more restrictive than years ago, and a smaller crew as well. But I would give a lot of money to be a mouse in the corner of the room when some TM tried to tell a crew 40 years ago they HAD to go to Charlotte instead of running around at Kodak. The explosion would have been heard for miles! :-D
  by alsorailfan

Probably should have clarified that I captioned it Sunday but the actual pictures were taken Nov. 28th. Took me that long to get around it I know! It takes a while to cullout a lot of those pictures to something a bit manageable. Thanks Roadster for the termiology as I had no clue. I should have known better than to say brakemen but it was easier than saying conductor and in this case, trainee. (will go back and try to fix it later) Also that day it seems to be an even split between the boxcars / coveres hoppers and the empty coal hoppers.
  by roadster

Problem is if the siding only fits 25. It goes to figure that only 25 will fit on the main next to the siding. Since at the end of the siding at the North end is Ridge rd.. Yes, alot has changed in those 40 years. Injuries are a BIG concern. Case in point is the cab in the pic. taking the Conductor and trainee to the headend. Less walking, less chances of turning an ankle on an errant stone. Even in '04 I usually had to walk to the headend when I was working as a conductor. 40 years ago, wasn't there a crew stationed at Charlotte? and the Hojack in service? I have no idea how this type of service may have been operated back then. I used to question some of their operational practices. But I gave up, and just do what I'm told. Less headaches in the long run. But as I said, with what I've seen of their practices. expect the Charlotte branch to stay open, including the West yard. It's working for their idea of operational planning.
  by BR&P

That's what I was saying - if you can fit 25 in the siding and 25 on the main, run around through the Old Way. I can't remember how many fit between Ridgeway Ave and the south end of the siding but you could come close to putting 50 cars together without blocking Ridgeway, I think it would fit even more.

If the cab drives the conductor from the rear to the head end, how do you walk a brake test? And they do that so you don't turn an ankle on the ballast? That's simply beyond my ability to comprehend.
  by roadster

Welcome to my world.