• CSX Activity in New England

• Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.
Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.

Moderator: MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

by MBTA1016

Mbta fan wrote:
CSX Conductor wrote:I do know that the covered hoppers started coming to Bird while I was owning the job as conductor, around 2004/2005. The cars carried copper granules supposedly. I honestly am surprised if the same cars have been there so long as usually customers are charged demurrage charges when they don't release cars by a certain amount of time.
I went by there today, and there was a covered hopper with gatx markings and only one wisconsion central hopper. The gatx hopper was facing Norwood the other hopper was behind it so someone was there recently

The same two cars are still there nothing has moved at all, as of 5 today. Does csx even serve the shingle factory anymore, or can I expect these two cars to move someday?
  by Tracer

Mbta fan wrote:
Mbta fan wrote:
CSX Conductor wrote:I do know that the covered hoppers started coming to Bird while I was owning the job as conductor, around 2004/2005. The cars carried copper granules supposedly. I honestly am surprised if the same cars have been there so long as usually customers are charged demurrage charges when they don't release cars by a certain amount of time.
I went by there today, and there was a covered hopper with gatx markings and only one wisconsion central hopper. The gatx hopper was facing Norwood the other hopper was behind it so someone was there recently

The same two cars are still there nothing has moved at all, as of 5 today. Does csx even serve the shingle factory anymore, or can I expect these two cars to move someday?
Are you sure? I drive by there a few times a week and I could swear there have been different cars in and out of there.
  by MBTA1016

I live about a minute from the plant and everytime I've gone by it's been the same cars. If they move I wouldnt really know, I would like to see for myself csx switch them out.
  by stevedan

this is my first post on this forum. I've been an observer for quite a few years now yet never joined in until now.

anyways, I passed through the Walpole area a couple of days ago (I spent my childhood around there). I was surprised to see a string of Cryo-Trans Reefers in the Walpole yard. In the past ten years, I don't think I've ever seen these cars pass through this area. Does anybody know what business along the line they're for? Maybe some of those vacant buildings have finally been leased out (hopefully) and there is new traffic.

thanks
  by MBTA1016

stevedan wrote:this is my first post on this forum. I've been an observer for quite a few years now yet never joined in until now.

anyways, I passed through the Walpole area a couple of days ago (I spent my childhood around there). I was surprised to see a string of Cryo-Trans Reefers in the Walpole yard. In the past ten years, I don't think I've ever seen these cars pass through this area. Does anybody know what business along the line they're for? Maybe some of those vacant buildings have finally been leased out (hopefully) and there is new traffic.

thanks

Welcome to the forum stevedan, it's nice to see Walpole yard having cars stored there. It's almost always empty when I go by
  by Jedijk88

The reason the cars haven't moved is because Bird's production has been on a layoff the last several weeks. They don't use material when they aren't making shingles.
  by MBTA1016

Jedijk88 wrote:The reason the cars haven't moved is because Bird's production has been on a layoff the last several weeks. They don't use material when they aren't making shingles.

Ok thanks that might also explain the lack of 18 wheelers going past my house the last couple of weeks.
  by BostonUrbEx

Framnghm/Worc due to a disabled CSX freight train, shuttle buses will replace regular train service for the remainder of the evening between Natick and Worcester Stations. We apologize for the inconvenience. 10/25/2011 11:49 PM

Framnghm/Worc P539 11:25 PM experiencing over 60 min delays due to a disabled train derailed freight train at framingham bus service will be provided in both directions fro natick to worcester10/25/2011 11:45 PM
  by CSX Conductor

As for the Cryx cars at Walpole, those cars are going to/coming from the old Stop & Shop warehouse in Readville. Loads for Readville are dropped at Walpole by B725 and taken east to Readville by B735 on it's return from Franklin/Milford. Empties from Readville are dropped at Walpole by B735 enroute to Franklin and picked up by B732 or B725 which takes them to Framingham on their way North.
  by boatsmate

BostonUrbEx wrote:Framnghm/Worc due to a disabled CSX freight train, shuttle buses will replace regular train service for the remainder of the evening between Natick and Worcester Stations. We apologize for the inconvenience. 10/25/2011 11:49 PM

Framnghm/Worc P539 11:25 PM experiencing over 60 min delays due to a disabled train derailed freight train at framingham bus service will be provided in both directions fro natick to worcester10/25/2011 11:45 PM

Not disabled train but a derailment of a loco. framingham fire and police reporting an engine off the tracks but upright. surposed to be the third engine, waiting for equipment to come from boston.
  by atsf sp

What engine hit the ground?
  by MBTA1016

atsf sp wrote:What engine hit the ground?

I would like to know the same and if any cars also hit the ground
  by boatsmate

don't have an engine number, I was at work and was listening to framingham pd and fire. also could only hear the na dispatcher, wierd because i am \only down the street from the yard when at work. did not have the yard freq with me for the scanner. it was only one engine no cars although the inital reports to the scanner buffs was a rail car. confirmed that it was an engine through Framingham pd
  by F-line to Dudley via Park

frrc wrote:Here's some news, caused a traffic jam downtown...

http://framingham.patch.com/articles/up ... s-downtown
Ouch...right on the grade crossing.

That ought to make for a fun community meeting next time they hold one about the grade crossing elimination options. State's undertaking a year-long MetroWest Development study to rank the infrastructure and redevelopment projects in those towns by priority for future budget allocations. Route 126/135 grade crossing mitigation in Framingham and the Ashland crossings are near top of the list, and they've been holding open forums last few months to let themselves get screamed at by the locals.