• CSX Activity in New England

• Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.
Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.

Moderator: MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

by CSX Conductor

Beacon Park closing is a poor excuse for not hiring. The only T&E effected by Beacon Park closing will be the yard crews because the road guys would just work outta Worcester. If Bubba treated us better none of us would be leaving for passenger service.
  by pharmerphil54

Actually there is a rumor or a concern that all the van jobs will be based at Dewitt yard and that Worcester will just be an away terminal only.
  by railman616

Actually the Northern Mid Atlantic agreement spells it out as the Vans will be home terminal at Dewitt. CSX only wants single ended Pools so moving the freight pool to Selkirk is part of the plan. The Electronic bid system for the engineers works best with single ended pools and the conductors will be on the system in a couple of years. Once Worcester is done and the by-pass at Selkirk is done the Van pools will be moved. Will it work? Who knows but that is what the Network group wants not the transportation dept.
  by CSX Conductor

Dewitt to Worcester rumored again, lol. Someday they'll try it and see that it's not possible, especially if they never put the end track back. Best of luck boys, hang in there. And if anyone's looking to get out, we're hiring A/C's again in New Haven.
  by roberttosh

Just out of curiousity, what does a typical CSX Engineer make a year? Im assuming it's different for local jobs vs overnight road jobs. Any info would be appreciated; thanks.
  by CSX Conductor

roberttosh wrote:Just out of curiousity, what does a typical CSX Engineer make a year? Im assuming it's different for local jobs vs overnight road jobs. Any info would be appreciated; thanks.
Yard and local jobs are hourly rate. The road jobs are paid by the trip, some with overtime depending on the length of the trip vs the mileage. For example Worcester to Selkirk paid 156{iirc}miles which means you'd start overtime at about 9 hours while Boston to Selkirk was paid 196 with overtime not starting until 11 hours 53 minutes on duty. As for being away from home terminal, the company used to have you for free in the hotel for 16 hours and then you'd be paid hourly straight time up to 8 hours. Of course, some things have changed since I left, but this might help a little.
  by Tim Mullins

There is a small yard next to the 495 overpass and near the Mass. Turnpike...I think Westboro...Does anyone know the exit to take to get there?
  by QB 52.32

You'd take the Rt. 9 exit off I-495, one exit north of the I-90/I-495 interchange. The yard is on Walkup Drive in Westborough.
  by CSX Conductor

nuub wrote:Alas, if it only wasn't such a severe cut in pay......
Agreed, but it's like taking a small step backwards and taking two steps forward.
  by MBTA1016

Tracer wrote:FYI on the east walpole branch. They recently tore out the grade crossing on the spur that crosses pleasant st. I don't think it was that long ago this spur was receiving lumber cars. They are supposedly reopening the asphalt plant which is next to this spur, not sure if they would need any product via rail.

Haven't seen a tank car at the (vose?) siding at end of the line in about 2 years, hopefully they havent given up on rail service.
Just to update what's going on in east Walpole with the industrial track. As noted above with that grade crossing, it's paved over but u can still feel a bump when driving over it. I have seen wisconsin central cars at the certainteed plant but never anything at Vose
  by MBTA1016

CSX Conductor wrote:
Tracer wrote:Anyone know when/how often CSX goes to the Wrentham/East Walpole branch in Norwood?

Thanks in advance
Just this morning I actually spoke with an engineer out of Readville that I used to work with. He said that Bird/Certainteed is starting to get more cars soon. I'm not sure how often they will be serviced but Deangelis Railroad Contractors is working on beefing up the siding. B732 used to service East Walpole 3 days a week enroute to Foxboro, but now that B732 runs out of Framingham I believe it's B735 that does East Walpole. Unfortunately they'll probably get out there as it's beginning to get dark as they don't start at Readville until about 400pm.
Csx conductor do u know what days and what time the local is serving the industrial track
  by CSX Conductor

I spoke with a former co-worker out of Readville a few eeks ago and he said that Hollingsworth Vose is not getting cars on their siding anymore. Instead shipments are sent to Beacon Park's flexi-flow and then trucked to East Walpole to Hollingsworth/Vose's plant.
  by MBTA1016

CSX Conductor wrote:I spoke with a former co-worker out of Readville a few eeks ago and he said that Hollingsworth Vose is not getting cars on their siding anymore. Instead shipments are sent to Beacon Park's flexi-flow and then trucked to East Walpole to Hollingsworth/Vose's plant.
Ok thanks csx conductor. By the way do u know anything about the wisconsin central hoppers that have been sitting at certainteed for a couple of months. They haven't moved as of Friday.
  by CSX Conductor

I do know that the covered hoppers started coming to Bird while I was owning the job as conductor, around 2004/2005. The cars carried copper granules supposedly. I honestly am surprised if the same cars have been there so long as usually customers are charged demurrage charges when they don't release cars by a certain amount of time.
  by MBTA1016

CSX Conductor wrote:I do know that the covered hoppers started coming to Bird while I was owning the job as conductor, around 2004/2005. The cars carried copper granules supposedly. I honestly am surprised if the same cars have been there so long as usually customers are charged demurrage charges when they don't release cars by a certain amount of time.
I went by there today, and there was a covered hopper with gatx markings and only one wisconsion central hopper. The gatx hopper was facing Norwood the other hopper was behind it so someone was there recently