• CR on the Southern Secondary

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

by bigblue5277

OportRailfan wrote:I thought I saw SA-31 coming over RIVER draw ~4PM yesterday, while I was heading south on Rt 9/35 in Sayreville. Looked like the Erie-Lackawanna heritage unit leading, with 2 CSX motors behind it and about 20 cars. Can't confirm though, someone else will have to.
That's the OI-16 you saw.
  by OportRailfan

bigblue5277 wrote:
OportRailfan wrote:I thought I saw SA-31 coming over RIVER draw ~4PM yesterday, while I was heading south on Rt 9/35 in Sayreville. Looked like the Erie-Lackawanna heritage unit leading, with 2 CSX motors behind it and about 20 cars. Can't confirm though, someone else will have to.
That's the OI-16 you saw.
Roger, thanks.
  by BigDell

....and the Clayton action is still hot on FB. More and more photos... more and more speculation...
  by BigDell

Pics are from FB. Not sure if I should mention the photographer since it's from a closed group, but he's been going there, shooting and posting:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
  by pumpers

So do these comments looking from Mt. Misery Rd mean the track sweeper is down that far south already? THere are 2 Mt. Misery Rds on my google map, but in any case that would be around MP 77 (Mt Misery - Pasadena Rd) or MP 78 (Mt. Misery Rd). 11 or 12 miles from Lakehurst and only 1 or 2 more to the sand pit. Wow. Jim S
  by NYSW2300

pumpers wrote:So do these comments looking from Mt. Misery Rd mean the track sweeper is down that far south already? THere are 2 Mt. Misery Rds on my google map, but in any case that would be around MP 77 (Mt Misery - Pasadena Rd) or MP 78 (Mt. Misery Rd). 11 or 12 miles from Lakehurst and only 1 or 2 more to the sand pit. Wow. Jim S
The Ballast regulator has not yet made it to Wranglebrook Rd which would be the first crossing after Lakehurst The pictures at Mt Misery Rd are just to show the conditions of the track.
  by luminous53

The train is heading into South Amboy now, long train, didn't get a car count, one tank towards the rear. The train snuck up on me before I can get a good shot on the Amboy secondary. Going to try catch it in Redbank

Update. Looks like 12 cars one CSX 4412

Update again. Pulling onto the main line now running early
  by luminous53

2:54 on the coast line on the move
  by NJT4149

Clear of the Southern Secondary 3:29 PM
Through Farmingdale at 6:30 PM
  by southern sec. kid

Saw the brush Cutter/ Track broom at Lacey Road Rt. 530 this morning. Don't know if it made it any further than there today as I couldn't stick around for long. Would have snapped a few photos but I showed up with a dead phone!
  by NJT4149

SA31 out early again; permission to open Church at 2:11 PM
Through Farmingdale a short time ago with CSX 4412 and 12 Woodhavens, time was around 6 PM
Last edited by NJT4149 on Thu May 12, 2016 9:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
  by johnnyloco

Which direction through Farmingdale and what time?
  by R&DB

John,
SA31 arrived in Farmingdale in a southwesterly direction (railroad west) at about 5PM. The crew usually stops there for dinner 30-60 minutes and then proceeds to Lakewood (Woodhaven Lumber).

Question for all the Southern Secondary watchers:
The last two trains each had a single locomotive but were each over 800 feet long. Does this mean the run-around is now being done in Lakehurst instead of the 800 foot South Lakewood location?
  by bigblue5277

This was discussed 1 to 2 years back on this thread when the trains became longer. The crew can split the train in two just north of Cross St. They run around the first half of the train, then bring the second half of the train south of Cross St. and run around the second half. This can all be done with a single locomotive. So unless we get an eyewitness of a train in Lakehurst my thinking is they are managing just fine with the run around track in Lakewood.
  by johnnyloco

R&DB wrote:John,
SA31 arrived in Farmingdale in a southwesterly direction (railroad west) at about 5PM. The crew usually stops there for dinner 30-60 minutes and then proceeds to Lakewood (Woodhaven Lumber).

Question for all the Southern Secondary watchers:
The last two trains each had a single locomotive but were each over 800 feet long. Does this mean the run-around is now being done in Lakehurst instead of the 800 foot South Lakewood location?
Thanks.