• CR on the Southern Secondary

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

by NJT4149

Clear Farmingdale at 8:43 PM
  by Tanker1497

Rumor has it work to start on Claytons 13 miles of track Monday 4/25/2016
Track sweeper to clear off dirt for tie inspection. Then replacement ties.
Lets see if this comes true?
  by Tanker1497

Equipment show ,RCC rail broom.
Need to size photo to post.
  by NJRAILNUT

Tanker1497 wrote:Rumor has it work to start on Claytons 13 miles of track Monday 4/25/2016
Track sweeper to clear off dirt for tie inspection. Then replacement ties.
Lets see if this comes true?
Tanker1497 wrote:Equipment show ,RCC rail broom.
Need to size photo to post.
This is very interesting. Would love to see any pictures.

Anybody hear anything more about this? We all know to not get our hopes up at this point but there may be something to this....
  by Tanker1497

Wish I could post picture I will when I get home if someone else
doesn't first. I thought it was facing the wrong direction broom was RR east.
That's not going to work when they get to Heritage Minerals the track last time
I looked was several feet below sand that has blown over the years.
  by Hawaiitiki

I've been following the NJ and NY Metro forums on RR.net for about a decade now. This, along with the Lackawanna Cutoff, CMSL Cape May service, Northern Branch, Passaic-Bergen DMU, etc..., is one of the few true Loch Ness Monsters of RR.net.

Would be great to see some actual track work that isn't just building empty signals and fixing grade crossings in the middle of the pine barrens miles away from active railway. Like Nessy, we should hold our breath until we see something tangible.
  by Tanker1497

Rail broom Tuesday morning in lakehurst
  by luminous53

Could it be facing that way to clear north to Lakewood to reactivate the Lakhurst turnaround. Either way they need to reinstall a rail to the north or shovel a lot of sand to the south. 2016 and a lot of action on the southern.
  by Tanker1497

luminous53 wrote:Could it be facing that way to clear north to Lakewood to reactivate the Lakhurst turnaround. Either way they need to reinstall a rail to the north or shovel a lot of sand to the south. 2016 and a lot of action on the southern.
From the videos I could find online they seen to run them backwards due to the dirt and dust kicked up? I'll keep an eye on the progress and post.
  by NJRAILNUT

Hawaiitiki wrote:I've been following the NJ and NY Metro forums on RR.net for about a decade now. This, along with the Lackawanna Cutoff, CMSL Cape May service, Northern Branch, Passaic-Bergen DMU, etc..., is one of the few true Loch Ness Monsters of RR.net.
100% agreed. But....
Tanker1497 wrote:Rail broom Tuesday morning in lakehurst

That pic is the most encouraging thing I've seen on this end of the line since I joined this forum.
  by BigDell

There has been a lot of discussion in the Central Railroad of New Jersey group on Facebook about this. A lot of photos of the equipment from Railroad Construction Company of Paulsboro. And a LOT of speculation: Are they cleaning ties for inspection? Is Clayton paying for this as part of an annual project to clean the ROW? Are they going to install a natural gas pipe along the ROW and is that why they are cleaning? etc etc etc... Very active on that group and it's interesting to watch the action as they post a lot of photos - it's pretty good! But it appears to be all speculation at this point. Is anyone in this forum on that FB group?
  by rr503

Any news on SA-31/the track cleaner's whereabouts?
  by OportRailfan

I thought I saw SA-31 coming over RIVER draw ~4PM yesterday, while I was heading south on Rt 9/35 in Sayreville. Looked like the Erie-Lackawanna heritage unit leading, with 2 CSX motors behind it and about 20 cars. Can't confirm though, someone else will have to.
  by southern sec. kid

The Sa 31 headed through Howell around 7:50 last night. The train was CSX 4406 leading with 4429 trailing. Train was 18 cars, two of then being for Brick Recycling ( gon and Tank)
On another note, I took a ride to Lakehurst yesterday to see if anything has taken place yet. The rail broom was back on the NJSL side of Union ave. It seems to have already gone as far as the eye can see toward Heritage minerals as there isn't any more visible sand/dirt in between the guage