• CP Rail Holiday Train Schedule

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

by blownb310

Does anyone know what the schedule is this year for the Holiday train into Saratoga Springs? I usually miss it every year. I think last year it was run during the first week in December. Thanks

by blownb310

Thanks Otto! :-)

by blownb310

I will be at the Delanson stop tonight at 9:00 pm. I'm not sure how good the lighting is there for photos, but I will post a few when I get back.

Mike

by blownb310

The train actually arrived at Delanson a few minutes early.

These are the best I could do without a flash.

The Delanson fire dept. had a great bonfire for all to enjoy while the singers and the band played from the train. There were hot beverages and food available too.

They even had a fireworks display this year! This was a very enjoyable event. Hats off to CP Rail.

by BobLI

wow, that was a fast post of pics. I was at Delanson too and it was a great evening. The crowd wasnt as large as last years considering it was a sunday evening, but a great time was had by all. CP does a fantastic job with the train.

by Orgnoi1

Despite the weather I will be out today from Saratoga north... wave if you see a Green Chevy Silverado diesel...

I had wanted to run over to Delanson last night but after two LONG days on our own Santa trains I decided not to bite off more than I can chew...

by PlayMania

I saw the train leave the yard in Scranton. Nice job done by CP but froze my rear off while watching it.

by Otto Vondrak

Cool pics, thanks for sharing!

I chased it last year from Saratoga to Whitehall... it was fun to see that train and hats off to CP for supporting a good cause at the same time!

-otto-

by deezlfan

Went off to Oneonta to catch the train which was scheduled for 4:15 at the Gas Ave. crossing. As I entered Oneonta from the west, I noticed the Holiday Train creeping up the 'wrong' main to get around a Binghamton bound train waiting for clear track. It looked good for my planned shot of the train coming through the yard framed against the last remaining structure in the yard. [Now occupied by the signal dept.] Arriving at the end of Baker St, I found a second train occupying the same track blocking my shot with empty lumber racks. A quick dash up to Grace Ave and the base of the viaduct was the only chance left. Grabbed what I could there without trespassing.

Last edited by deezlfan on Mon Dec 03, 2007 6:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by deezlfan

Next a few shots while parked at Gas Ave. There is NO good photo locations of the entire train available from this location. The right of way is too overgrown. The Daily Star reporter managed a great shot walking down the side of the train, but police and RR people were preventing all others from getting the same shot.

After a frustrating few minutes I decided to head out for a wide shot near the Emmons overpass. Hard to get any useable shots of the moving train after dark with a 1.3 megapixel camera.

And lastly a shot from Rte 28 near exit 17. The weather was poor and chasing on I-88 was foolhearty at best and certainty too dangerous to attempt after dark.

by blownb310

Thanks very much for sharing the pics and writing the captions. I know what you mean about only having a 1.3 megapixel camera. My pics in the beginning of this thread were from my 1.0 megapixel camera. They are always enjoyable anyway.

by Otto Vondrak

Yeah, the Oneonta stop sucks for photography. Ditto Whitehall (well, almost).

-otto-

by Orgnoi1

Well after 10 hours on the road I got home at about 10pm last night... I chased from Saratoga to Port Henry... I tried a group of new locations which seem to have worked out "just ok" but I did get a couple decent shots...

Its funny though how much access I could have had if I chose to lie... everyone thought I was with a local paper everywhere I went...LOL

Here is one of my final shots taken at Port Henry before my snowy drive home...

by dj_paige

Picture of CP Holiday Train stopped atop Nicholson Viaduct

http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=214101