• Corning Secondary Renamed?

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

by K4Pacific

Thank you PoppyL. Now We can rest easy. Thank you all. Anchorman found it too. And that's the way it is. This is Walter Cronkite Happy Easter,
  by RailKevin

nessman wrote:So in theory even an industrial track could be referred to as "main track" under the new rules?
Perhaps "main track" just refers to the "through track" that a train would travel along from point A to point B. I suppose any track that is not a siding or spur would be a "main track." :P
  by Lehighton_Man

Correct me if I am wrong, but I would believe so, nessman. Given, said industrial branch might require a through connection, or of length to hold a quantity of cars, but under certain or rare circumstances, it could be redesignated as a "main" for a given amount of time, to sort of provide an alternate route around a worksite. It could be an expanded form of a 'shoofly', even though it's just rerouting...
Again, anyone correct me if I am wrong.
  by lvrr325

Given it's a rules function, I would assume the main track is the primary route for trains, the routing that a turnout aligned against would be a diverging move to a siding or yard track. Sounds like the confusion simply arrives from a lack of familiarity with NS operating rules.
  by Lehighton_Man

lvrr325 wrote:Given it's a rules function, I would assume the main track is the primary route for trains, the routing that a turnout aligned against would be a diverging move to a siding or yard track. Sounds like the confusion simply arrives from a lack of familiarity with NS operating rules.
Yes, lvrr325. I am not familiar with Norfolk Southern operational rules, therefore much of my previous post was probably invalid assumptions. Thanks for correcting me.
  by lvrr325

I would think most of us aren't familiar with them, since the only area in NY where NS used them prior to the last say 6-12 months or so, would be on the former Nickel Plate west of Buffalo.
  by Matt Langworthy

I was headed from Elmira to Rochester on Route 17 last night when I saw the northbound H06 coming off the Southern Tier mainline, heading north on the Corning Secondary around 6 PM. I really had to fight the temptation to chase it. I did have my camera with me, but in the end, I came back to Rochester by my originally planned route.
  by Lehighton_Man

Maybe an FGLK employee can clarify, but where would HO6 have gone? Isn't Lyons - Geneva still OOS? I'm curious.
  by scottychaos

Lehighton_Man wrote:Maybe an FGLK employee can clarify, but where would HO6 have gone? Isn't Lyons - Geneva still OOS? I'm curious.
Probably to interchange with FGLK at Himrod Jct or Geneva..then return to Corning.
NS trains dont necessarily have to run through to Lyons..

Scot
  by K4Pacific

HO6 is Gang Mills to Geneva turn which is barely made in 12 hours. No stop at Himrod. Cars are brought down by FGLK.
  by poppyl

I could be out of date on this, but HO6 used to run up to Geneva on Sunday, Tuesday, and Thursday nights. FGLK would run back to Himrod on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday mornings.

Poppyl
  by flannmann

poppyl wrote:I could be out of date on this, but HO6 used to run up to Geneva on Sunday, Tuesday, and Thursday nights. FGLK would run back to Himrod on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday mornings.

Poppyl
HO6 still runs Sunday thru Thursday nights, usually hits Geneva between 9pm and 11pm and heads back south around a few hours later. Before the rusty rail rules slowed them down they would sometimes arrive before the sun went down and if I'd be able catch them entering Geneva. Here is a link to a video I shot of him in Geneva back in 2008...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sXgUD39Df0E

Bill
  by lvrr325

As far as I know, NS has NEVER run to Lyons, it's been something of a puzler why they got this part of the line in the first place. But they do have to interchange with Finger Lakes fairly regularly -
  by scottychaos

lvrr325 wrote:As far as I know, NS has NEVER run to Lyons, it's been something of a puzler why they got this part of the line in the first place. But they do have to interchange with Finger Lakes fairly regularly -

Interesting..thats quite possible, (that NS has never actually run through to Lyons)
NS must have just inherited the line in 1999 during the Conrail split..
even if they dont use it, it makes sense for NS to have the whole route between Corning to Lyons
just in case they ever need it for a detour, (like what has been recently discussed concerning the Portage bridge replacement..)

so they got it in '99..they probably *want* to retain it, if they need it...
but they simply havent had an actual need for it over the last 10 years..

looks like FGLK has no major need for it either..they can interchange with CSX at Solvay..
which seems to be where most of the action happens anyway..

Scot
  by CPSD40-2

lvrr325 wrote:As far as I know, NS has NEVER run to Lyons, it's been something of a puzler why they got this part of the line in the first place. But they do have to interchange with Finger Lakes fairly regularly -
As far as I know also, they've never run all the way to Lyons. However, a friend said one evening a couple summers ago that he was chatting with an NS crew in Geneva, who said they were waiting to head south till a Northbound passed by. Doesn't prove anything, just implies that perhaps there was a one-time train that went north past Geneva.

NS has been hitting Geneva a little earlier lately, sometimes in daylight hours, especially on Sundays. I imagine it all depends on how soon they get out of Corning to head up.