• Corning Secondary Renamed?

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

by Aji-tater

Railpace said that plans are official, and that a new structure will be built adjacent to the old.
If Railpace said that, now we know for sure! Plans are not official and the new structure will be built on the same location. :wink:
  by lvrr325

Speaking of RumorPace... Does the old wooden road bridge still exist below Dresden? Was there in May 1993 and does not appear to be high enough to clear loaded stacks. Pic can be found upper rear cover of the July 1993 Railpace, with the Amtrak X2000 passing under it. Which coincedentally I have a photo published in as well, I guess that's why the issue sticks in my memory -
  by poppyl

Are you thinking of the Log City Road bridge just north of Shannon's Corners Road and a couple of miles north of Dundee? That was an old arched woooden plank bridge. I believe that it was declared unsafe for vehicles about 15 years ago and torn down. It was replaced with a relatively level, signed crossing about the same time that the Shannon's Corners Road crossing was upgraded to flashers.

Poppyl
  by Aji-tater

We have a whole thread based on something someone heard on another forum. Can anyone provide the bulletin order number by which NS supposedly made this change? I'm not saying it's not true, but so far all we have is one third-hand report and everybody has been going into orbit.
  by nessman

Aji-tater wrote:We have a whole thread based on something someone heard on another forum. Can anyone provide the bulletin order number by which NS supposedly made this change? I'm not saying it's not true, but so far all we have is one third-hand report and everybody has been going into orbit.
Agreed - we need someone to quote chapter and verse... even scan the document in and post it here.
  by nydepot

The person quoted from the other forum has been posting here too, K4Pacific. He also said we'll no more in a month (that was 3/23). It's not a game of telephone.

Charles
Aji-tater wrote:We have a whole thread based on something someone heard on another forum. Can anyone provide the bulletin order number by which NS supposedly made this change? I'm not saying it's not true, but so far all we have is one third-hand report and everybody has been going into orbit.
  by Aji-tater

"We'll know something more in a month" has nothing to do with it. Track names are designated in employee timetables, and are only modified by written orders. If the track has been renamed as claimed in the original post, NS will have issued a bulletin order to that effect. Has NS issued such a change or is this simply railfan misinformation?
  by K4Pacific

I'll get over to the yard office and put that to bed. I appreciate your passion for the truth.
  by K4Pacific

Here's your update. The NS Timetable "which I don't have on my posession." Shows the Corning Secondary as is. Track Authority for HO6 and 523/522 coal are given as the "Main." In fact, the dispatcher for HO6 tonight again declared as well.

I'll get you answers on the Corning Secondary/Main.

I have not been privy to DBOs (Daily Bullitin Orders). Perhaps someone this weekend can get into a cab and take one. You'll find your answers there. I do not condone that participation. I'm sticking with the TM and local crews I deal with. I'll get the answers since I started it and I love Poppy for keeping my feet to the fire. Happy Easter.
  by thannon

Thanks K4P, appreciate the effort and the information.
  by Anchorman

It's still the Corning Secondary as per the TT and bulletins.
  by Aji-tater

LOL! :P

April Fool must have come a week early!
  by poppyl

K4;

Just trying to keep your boiler pressure up. :-D

Poppyl

Note the question mark at the end of the thread title.
  by poppyl

I received the following information earlier today on another forum. Perhaps it will put the "name" issue to bed.
The Corning Secondary is still the Corning Secondary. The confusion may arise from the new operating rules. Under NORAC, the Corning Secondary (or any other non-multi track territory) would either be referred to by its actual name (i.e. Corning Secondary) or "single track". Under new NS rules, non-multiple track territory (Single Track) is now referred to as "Main Track". You hear this a lot on the Track Authorities (formerly Form D's under NORAC).
I believe that my question has been answered and that there is no significance that the word "main" may be used in the context of the Corning Secondary.

Poppyl
  by nessman

So in theory even an industrial track could be referred to as "main track" under the new rules?