• Cooperstown & Charlotte Valley (CACV) Discussion - 2012

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

by Otto Vondrak

Given the recent increase in postings and updates to this topic, I'd like to start a fresh topic for the Cooperstown & Charlotte Valley Railroad. This thread is for the discussion of the operations, equipment, and history of the CACV, operators of the former Delaware & Hudson Cooperstown Branch. Any relevant news stories posted from outside sources require a link to the original article plus a brief "fair-use" quote.

Official Web Site: http://www.lrhs.com/

Private Facebook Group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/108498655846093/

-otto-
New York State Railfan Forum Moderator
  by O-6-O

Looking to volunteer on a Railroad? The C&CV has opportunities and this Saturday a crew is going out for some early season bridge repairs. Chapter meeting later that night.

Good group of folks down there, come on and join the fun.
  by O-6-O

What a nice day for track work!! A crew of 5 lead by Dean Hull finished the much needed bridge timber replacement on the Phoenix Mills through truss 1896 vintage bridge.

Now we have to put back 3 lengths of running rail and the guide rail. Later, we removed the pit covers in the engine house in Milford so Pete can start the 92 day

inspection on the 3051. We ran out work before sun light, that doesn't happen often. I'm looking forward to the first train of the season.
  by switcher3051

It was a nice day to replace the 14 timbers we had left. The slight breeze and low temperature was a big help. Will be able to run up to Cooperstown well before we officially start the normal season runs. Thanks to all who helped out. If I can get Friday off I'll help Pete replace some joint bars. Looking forward to another season.
  by Alek9997

O-6-O wrote:Looking to volunteer on a Railroad? The C&CV has opportunities and this Saturday a crew is going out for some early season bridge repairs. Chapter meeting later that night.

Good group of folks down there, come on and join the fun.
Are there classes and tests (NORAC/Airbrake/etc) an individual is required to do to volunteer on the CACV? If so, when are they?

Thanks

Alek S
  by switcher3051

Rules/safety refresher meeting is held usually before the season starts. I volunteered as brakeman mid season a couple years ago so I missed it. The head trainer gave me a rule book and brakemans manual and had me shadow the brakeman on duty for a number of runs. Every other Saturday is a train robbery which is pull-push and at night is the blues train, pull-pull. Leaves at 7, returns at 10 so you get day and night experience. We have day/night operations, pull-pull and pull-push. The training supervisor will give you a test. Engineer, brakeman and conductor provide feedback plus monitor radio protocols. 607-432-2429 is the office # which last winter moved to the Milford depot where we run out of so somebody is there pretty much all of the day. Season will fully start Memorial Saturday ( I think, I don't have full schedule yet ) for a blues train. Below is the website link for more info. Let me know if you want more info.
switcher

http://www.lrhs.com/
  by switcher3051

The last timber was placed on the bridge this week and 3 of us went up to today. 2 of the 3 rails were placed and a couple bolts just to hold them temporary. CMO was doing a bit with the adze so the last rail still off. Started spiking the west rail but I had to leave. Hopefully good weather and a good size crew can finish tomorrow.
  by switcher3051

From our CMO:
"The bridge above the Rt. 11C X-ing is now back in service. Thanks to folks coming out to help, it got done in record time. All that remains there is to reassemble and spike the east guard rail and take away the old ties we pulled out. The signal bond wires still need to be re-attached,..."
  by switcher3051

Saturday night was our first Blues Train to Cooperstown. A nice warm night made it a pleasure. Some ballast was loaded in the car before the run and will be topped off this week for the regulator to do its thing. Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday runs begin 5 June with MOW in between.
  by Benjamin Maggi

Can anyone familiar with the railroad describe what is included in their Brooks BBQ trains? I see it says "3 meal options."
Thanks.
Ben
  by switcher3051

The Linden Ave Gateway Center is under construction. Old parking area torn up now. When complete there will be a welcome center, nicer parking, better crossing plus a platform for us. I didn't hear a completion date yet.
  by switcher3051

Saturday morning an 8 person crew went out with the jordan spreader and returned about 5. On the Blues Train up I saw where they did a super job in many spots. Great job, People!!