• Commuter Rail Delay Discussion

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

by AEM7AC920

Would require paperwork for against the current and a max speed of 30 as well.
  by Rbts Stn

19 "Alerts" sent to my e-mail box due to 5 Needham trains (so far) being delayed this AM. That includes 5 separate "All Clear" notifications.

I think they can improve the alert system, but this is waaaay overload.
  by sery2831

Train #437 struck a car at Brighton St in Belmont. Two T buses are headed to the scene to transport the passengers west.
  by octr202

Train 352 cancelled Wed morning. I only ride it a couple times a month but I know how to pick 'em I guess.

305/310 had a 5f set instead of 6 so they might have used it for that.
  by octr202

Forgot to add from yesterday, last night (Wed) 331 had some sort of trouble at Anderson. When 333 arrived, we crossed over to the inbound track, and it looked like the crowd from 331 was all waiting on the platform trying to board 333. After I made it out, I saw 331 proceed north (!!), unknown whether passengers re-boarded or not. After a little while, 333 (the the R-car set) followed north. T'lerts cited a 15-20 min delay to 331.
  by Diverging Route

Received this T-Alert delay report at 2:31am this morning:

Providence/Stoughton Line delayed due to Amtrak

Affected direction: inbound

Affected stops:
Route 128
  by MBTA1016

BostonUrbEx wrote:http://www.universalhub.com/2013/driver ... ks-she-and

Tuesday night a woman followed her GPS too literally, and wound up on the Fitchburg Line in Belmont. Her car is, not surprisingly, totaled -- just look at the pic.
Nice how the article has a link to the GPS crash last year involving the green line.
  by BandM4266

In the MBTA website it has an alert for this Saturday and Sunday , saying that the Lowell line will have a shuttle bus between Anderson and Wilmington due to track work.
How will that work out? Would they have to have another train for Lowell -Wilmington or are they completely substituting the line from Anderson - Lowell ?
I haven't seen anything on Amtrak about any disruptions to the downeaster service.
  by octr202

Sure sounds like a separate trainset operating Wilmington-Lowell. I guess the fact that it's a kinda straight shot by road from Anderson to Wilmington (aside from getting through the office park by Anderson), but North Billerica and Lowell are not too centrally located to major through streets. I agree it seems odd to have to go train-bus-train for that length of trip.

Perhaps the Downeasters will operate via Reading. I can't remember the last time they did that, but I know they have in the past. I can't imagine the high level of MBCR traffic on the weekend causing an issue with that detour!
  by sery2831

Yes a shuttle train will operate from Wilmington to Lowell exclusively. Then a bus bridge, and then a train will operate from Anderson to Boston. Downeaster service will operate via the Western Route.
  by octr202

Points for creativity:

Haverhill Line Train 217 (1:10 pm from North Station) will not operate due to wire problem. Alternate bus service provided. Anticipate delays & seek alternate transportation.

Affected direction: outbound

Affected stops:
Andover
Lawrence
Bradford
Haverhill

Last updated: Jun 21 2013 2:31 PM
  by MBTA1016

Wire problem can be interpreted two different ways. Either a cable fell across the tracks or suddenly the Haverhill line is the new NEC.
  by BandM4266

octr202 wrote:Points for creativity:

Haverhill Line Train 217 (1:10 pm from North Station) will not operate due to wire problem. Alternate bus service provided. Anticipate delays & seek alternate transportation.

Affected stops:
Andover
Lawrence
Bradford
Haverhill

I wonder if the construction crews snagged a wire working on the bridges?
  by BostonUrbEx

BandM4266 wrote:
octr202 wrote:Points for creativity:

Affected stops:
Andover
Lawrence
Bradford
Haverhill

I wonder if the construction crews snagged a wire working on the bridges?
I think it was just an error. As far as anyone can guess, the person who sends the alerts selects a reason from a drop down menu on a computer. There were two previous alerts for that train, as I recall, which mentioned police activity/investigation. On the third try, they hit the wrong reason maybe.