• Catenary on your layouts

• Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.
Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.

Moderators: 3rdrail, stilson4283, Otto Vondrak

by queenlnr8

Does anyone know if it is possible to electrify the catenary on a layout and actually 'feed' a locomotive through the wires?
  by Tom Curtin

It definitely is possible although modelers who actually build catenary seem to be united in the conviction that it is more trouble than it's worth to "power" their overhead.

I would guess this is more often done by European modelers.

by Petz

A Catenary makes much sence when using analog systems cause you can drive two trains on the same track side by side.
I´m european model railroader so we use much more electric locos than diesels similar to our origin railways cause most of the track is electrified.

In the past Trix had a genious system called E.M.S, you have to implant an electronic decoder (not digital, controlled by high frequency modulated current from an added special transformer) in a loco, when using a catenary you had been able to drive four trains or locos independent on one track !!!

Main railway station fitted with a Kleinbahn (Austrian manufacturer) pure copper catenary:

Local Railway fitted with a self built catenary (mostly contents 0,8 mm electric welding wire, H0 - track pieces).
I only run short locos and technical modified streetcars on this track with very narrow (450 mm diameter curves). One of the streetcars can be seen on the main railway picture in the upper area too, both railways are connected with a short steep track with a rack system leading over the bridge above the station building.

by lucakiki

Markus, I agree with you, EMS is great! I discovered it fairly recently, and I can't explain why apparently it was not so succesful. It kind of faded into oblivion. Too bad! I have now two steamers and one diesel in EMS for my European layout.
For my US layout, still in project stage, I wish I could transform in EMS 50% of my many minitrix F7A s and B s. Maybe it is possible to place te EMS module in the dummy units? Have you any info? Thank you.

by Petz

Think one of the reasons for the lacking sucess had been the price and you have to use locos with a good flywheel drive and lower speed transmission to get a proper driving cause the system doesn´t produce a modulated dc - current so there´s no "help" for the motor´s acceleration.

Have copied and reworked a original trix drawing for installation E.M.S. in a tender locomotive, think based on this you should be able to install it in a dummy B - unit. If the dummy has no current connection (for lightning etc.) from its wheels you have to connect three cables (+ / - and motor +) between the loco and the dummy; if the dummy is fully fitted only the cable to the motor + had to be laid. In every case the minuspole on the motor had to be connected with the loco frame or wheel minus too !

Hope i could help a little otherwise please ask again.

by Otto Vondrak

Ken Lawrence's Westchester Northern featured powered overhead until very recently...

http://railroad.net/articles/modelrailr ... ernorthern

I hear now he is switching over to New York Central style third rail!

-otto-

by Jers2709

3rd Rail, that must be quite a chore to do.

Here's Penn Station's Version of it:

by Petz

One advantage of a catenary connected loco may be that you are able to park it on every place you want, you just simply have to clip the pantographs in the lover position without the need of a switched piece of track.

If somebody would use a three rail dc system, a catenary and the E.M.S - system he would be able to run six independent locos or trains at one track....a bit too much work for a modelrailroad engineer Image

by lucakiki

Petz wrote:Think one of the reasons for the lacking sucess had been the price and you have to use locos with a good flywheel drive and lower speed transmission to get a proper driving cause the system doesn´t produce a modulated dc - current so there´s no "help" for the motor´s acceleration.

Have copied and reworked a original trix drawing for installation E.M.S. in a tender locomotive, think based on this you should be able to install it in a dummy B - unit. If the dummy has no current connection (for lightning etc.) from its wheels you have to connect three cables (+ / - and motor +) between the loco and the dummy; if the dummy is fully fitted only the cable to the motor + had to be laid. In every case the minuspole on the motor had to be connected with the loco frame or wheel minus too !

Hope i could help a little otherwise please ask again.
Thankyou Markus. I will go and buy a couple of original kits that are still available in an old shop, and have a go on one of my Trix F/7.
If I need help I will ask you again.
Apparently no American loco was available from Trix in ready made EMS system.
Also, they did not keep the B unit for long. I have aleady converted a couple of dummy B units into powered units: Now I will try an EMS conversion.

by Petz

lucakiki wrote: Thankyou Markus. I will go and buy a couple of original kits that are still available in an old shop, and have a go on one of my Trix F/7.
If I need help I will ask you again.
Apparently no American loco was available from Trix in ready made EMS system.
Also, they did not keep the B unit for long. I have aleady converted a couple of dummy B units into powered units: Now I will try an EMS conversion.
Pleased to help you and if you have some questions please ask or send a private message to me.

If you don´t own a dummy for this purpose i would try to use a box - or passenger car for placing the E.M.S decoder, the system would be strong enough to supply two N - scale motors (A - and B unit) together too.

It´s very important to choose locos with a proper drive, i use the E.M.S in H0 - scale in a Günther german E80 using the original big flywheeled drive and current connected via the tracks, a second Günther german E 73 with an enlarged flywheel also connected via tracks and a Trix E 75 catenary connected.
It had been necessary to do a heavily rebuilding at the (new) Trix - loco with a Bühler motor with flywheel replacing the origin one and the use of a Liliput two spur worm instead of the original four spur worm (fits to the original Trix worm gear wheel) to reduce the speed by more than half.

When you plan to use the E.M.S in N - scale i would try to replace the motor with a flywheel can - type (Faulhaber for example) to get a well running engine. Specially the Trix - locos are unfortunately race runners with a much too less gear reduction and rugged but badly controllable motors.

by lucakiki

Thanks, Markus, i will jump at your kind offer, and ask you for private advice in the near future.
I will not need to hide the decode in a box or passenger car as I have acquired as many B units as I managed to!
The powered B units are not that common, so I did put some B shells on A engines. Just a matter of minor filing.
I have been buying way too many engines, mostly Minitrix, but also some Rivarossi/Atlas and a couple of Arnolds. All in Santa Fe livery.

by Petz

No problem, like to help other railroaders as far as i can.

I don´t actually know if any company produces current leading couplers in N, in scale H0 somebody had built them; otherwise i would choose a small electronic pinblock for the electrical connection between the units so (electrical standardisation presupposed) you would be able to connect different motorized units with one of the EMS - dummies.
  by green_elite_cab

Well, i'm guetting closer to catenary on my layout, i just need to order the rest of the parts i need. its looking like it will only cost me $50 for the rest of the supplies i need to scratchbuild, and thats only because i need so much wire and those PRR insulators.