• Ballast Train on R3 Elwyn

• Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.
Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.

Moderator: AlexC

by RCman2626

Amtrak has not gotten rock out of Glen Mills since November 2011. NS has been bringing it in from other locations. We still are unsure of the future of the Glen Mills Connector, but as of right now it is still in service with excepted status.
  by BuddSilverliner269

Correct. Septa is trying to strong arm Amtrak to pay for track work between Elwyn and Glen Mills to continue running our trains there. Funny thing is, isn't this track suppose to be upgraded anyways when trains start running to Wawa? Hmmm
  by jb9152

BuddSilverliner269 wrote:Correct. Septa is trying to strong arm Amtrak to pay for track work between Elwyn and Glen Mills to continue running our trains there. Funny thing is, isn't this track suppose to be upgraded anyways when trains start running to Wawa? Hmmm
Yeah, but it's always better when you can get someone else to pay for it!
  by RCman2626

We are caught in the middle of some dirty politics. If the track is taken out of service for any reason, we are landlocked in West Chester (meaning no more fan trips, no more new equipment deliveries and zero hopes for freight service to West Chester). We hope it does not come to that...

Septa has put a $1.5 million price tag on repairs to the Connector just to bring it up to Class I standards. This has come up at many meetings with Septa, Senator Toomey's office as well as our state senators. Unfortunately no party is coming up with funds for this project.
  by SEPTAR2Newark

RCman2626 wrote:We are caught in the middle of some dirty politics. If the track is taken out of service for any reason, we are landlocked in West Chester (meaning no more fan trips, no more new equipment deliveries and zero hopes for freight service to West Chester). We hope it does not come to that...

Septa has put a $1.5 million price tag on repairs to the Connector just to bring it up to Class I standards. This has come up at many meetings with Septa, Senator Toomey's office as well as our state senators. Unfortunately no party is coming up with funds for this project.
Wasn't Elywn to Lenni rebuilt around 2010-2011 or so? I know that work was suppose to be part of the Wawa expansion and the money dried out. Funny thing is recently rebuilt track has to be rebuilt again smh, more proof that if it isn't in service, Septa won't maintain it.
  by RCman2626

Yes the railroad was stabilized quite extensively in 2009-2010 between S. Elwyn and Lenni with new drainage, retaining walls, ties, ballast and rail where needed. IMO it is more of a political situation than anything. I've run on that railroad. It is not by any means in bad condition. Is it suitable for regular passenger service, absolutely not. Can it handle freight trains at 10 mph, yes. Its all about money and resources.
  by jonnhrr

A slightly related question - what is the status of the service formerly known as R3 extension to Wawa ? Is work still ongoing or is it suspended?

Jon
  by RCman2626

I received word that multiple pieces of track equipment were spotted in and around the Lenni building area. As of Sunday evening all of the equipment was gone, but it was clearly noticeable that the rust was knocked off the rail. No apparent work started. Does anyone have information about this?
  by Jerr

The Amtrak ballast train just passed Wallingford on the R3 ten minutes ago. They have been running almost every night. I expect she will return thru around 130am
  by Clearfield

jonnhrr wrote:A slightly related question - what is the status of the service formerly known as R3 extension to Wawa ? Is work still ongoing or is it suspended?

Jon
Currently suspended.

Per SEPTA, "A companion project addressed critical track bed stabilization improvements along the route. Catenary/Signal/Track Improvements, Bridge Replacements/Rehabilitation, and the new Station and Parking Deck will advance in concurrent construction phases beginning in 2017."
  by NorthPennLimited

Jerr wrote:The Amtrak ballast train just passed Wallingford on the R3 ten minutes ago. They have been running almost every night. I expect she will return thru around 130am
Probably a wire train or a slippery rail washer.

The only other freight on that line is the Amoroso shifter, and that's on borrowed time. The Inky had a story last year Conrail and Jersey made a sweetheart deal to move them across the river.
  by Quinn

NorthPennLimited wrote:Probably a wire train or a slippery rail washer.
Agreed. Spotted one on the return trip tonight about 1:30~1:45ish coming through Clifton.
  by Jerr

Now that the Crum Creek Viaduct is complete and service is restored on the R3 (Media / Elwyn) does anyone know if the Amtrak Ballast Train will resume it's late night runs to the Glen Mills Quarry ??
  by Quinn

I believe the track out to Glen Mills is still listed as excepted, and the ballast is all trucked out.
  by Sotheast PA Railfan

A question I have been wondering as of lately. Someone recently told me that once a month SEPTA ran an MOW Train out to Glen Mills to check the track to make sure it is still intact and is good. Is that true?