• Ballast Train on R3 Elwyn

• Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.
Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.

Moderator: AlexC

by scotty269

It turns out I was closer to folcroft. God knows what I heard.
  by SEPTAR3kid

I heard a train from the distance on the West Chester Branch last night, I couldn't tell if it was the ballast train or the WCRR. It was sometime between 7-8PM heading south. It sounded like it was sounding its horn north of Glen Mills through Cheyney and Locksley road though as I was just north of Gradyville so it couldve been the WCRR but i thought they only ran trains on Sundays.
  by Flababo

I heard it too coming up past Oakbourne at around 8:20 last night, and later saw the train in the WCRR yards. It was one of theirs, with passenger cars. God knows what it was about.
  by SEPTAR3kid

Flababo wrote:I heard it too coming up past Oakbourne at around 8:20 last night, and later saw the train in the WCRR yards. It was one of theirs, with passenger cars. God knows what it was about.
Ah ok thanks, good to know I wasn't imagining it haha. It sounded like it was 1803 in the lead judging by the horn but I could be wrong.
  by RCman2626

It indeed was the West Chester Railroad as I was conductor on our section. We were conducting a trial session to test the height clearances of our RS-18 #1803 and GP9 #6499 through the commuter tunnel. We entered the tunnel twice, once with the power on, once with the power off. It was decided after the first test that #6499 was too close to the wire to continue so the locomotive was set out at Powelton yard and testing continued with only #1803. We have now been cleared all the way through the tunnel out to the Reading side with #1803.

We also dragged our b60 baggage car and Reading MU #9114 along. This is the first time a Blue has been on the Reading side carrying passengers in probably 20 years.
  by Quinn

Ooh, interesting. Perhaps another Special is in the making? Due to work, I couldn't make the one in July '09, but I caught it coming past my house later on that day. I've been hoping for another one.
  by Quinn

Just adding that (NS-, I think) 3032 & 3033 are on this detail now, too. I don't think they've been mentioned in the thread.
  by 60 Car

Saw the stone train WB at Elwyn last night with 2 NS units, didn't catch numbers.

720-721 had been on it for the last couple of weeks.
  by Quinn

60 Car wrote:Saw the stone train WB at Elwyn last night with 2 NS units, didn't catch numbers.

720-721 had been on it for the last couple of weeks.
That was the 3032-3033 pairing - same train I saw.
  by BuddSilverliner269

I have not heard when this will be and is still in the talks. Apparently Septa has been cooperating but the NH&I has been the most difficult as they want plenty of money plus who knows what else. I will let the powers to be do the planning and if I catch wind of anything I will pass it on.
  by chuchubob

SEPTAR3kid wrote:Last night I heard a lot of horn in the Glen Mills area at about 9PM, sounded like it was north of the quarry though I think. Was this the ballast train or was the WCR doing more testing or something?
It could have been the West Chester RR charter.
  by Big Bri

Anyone know what "Symbol" Amtrak has been using for the Stone train?

KP-705?

Thanks,
Bri
  by SEPTAR3kid

Just caught the ballast train for the first time tonight. I was driving up orange street in Media and stopped at the stop sign at media station road and to my surprise there it was moving slowly inbound for philadelphia on the outbound track. I caught up to it at Moylan-Rose Valley but unfortunately didn't have my camera on me. This was at about 8:50PM. It was led by Norfolk Southern 3030 and AMTK 720. It was a pretty awesome sight seeing a Norfolk Southern engine rolling down the Media/Elwyn Line.
  by Quinn

You're pretty lucky catching it that early. Usually they don't even roll out to Glen Mills until after 11PM. This particular train headed out there Thursday night - I saw it going out.

They aren't running nearly as many trains as last year. I've seen maybe one a week this spring.