• Ballast Train on R3 Elwyn

• Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.
Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.

Moderator: AlexC

by BuddSilverliner269

60 Car wrote:Stone train spotted tonight eastbound at Elwyn just as 393 was arriving at 23:45 westbound.
NS 3031 & AMTK 512 on the east end and NS 3030 on the west end.
I ran train 188 and passed an Amtrak stone train heading south towards Phil, and the train was bracketed by diesels on both ends. I couldnt see what was on the south end, but on the north end, I think Im sure I saw the NS GP38 and P32
  by emd645e3

What time did you pass Phil? I was on the H86 waiting for a signal and saw the ballast train shoving through Phil after midnight.
  by emd645e3

I was over my friend's apartment earlier. They live right next to Lansdowne station, so I was looking out for the ballast train. Apparently it went by after I left, sometime between 12:15 and 12:45.
  by BuddSilverliner269

EMD, I saw the train about 9pm. Im guessing it wasnt the same stone train and was possibly running down to Perryville. It had Herzog cars, and had 2 diesels on each end. Maybe it went to Glen Mills after it headed south?
  by Quinn

I've noticed the runs definitely increasing. Also, instead of two diesels, they have had three lately, often with 17 cars full of stone. Last night I saw 512-720-721, I believe they were, returning not long after midnight.
  by 60 Car

stone train eastbound at elwyn tonight at 23:30.
Short train with one amtk and one NS unit on head end only. Didnt catch unit numbers.
  by Quinn

Thanks for the pics, SEPTAR3kid. It's so dark when I spot the trains that I haven't been able to see the paint scheme.
  by Franklin Gowen

11:36PM.....heard something unusually loud and definitely diesel-powered in the vicinity of Lansdowne/Gladstone, heading south (west) on the West Chester Branch. About two minutes later I heard *very* non-Silverliner horns blowing; probably for the Oak Avenue grade xing in Primos. It might be the ballast train! Maybe one of you can catch it on the way back to the city, IF it returns tonight. Good luck!
  by Big Bri

I'm sure most of you on here know that the NS(xCR)GP-40-2's (3029-3030-3031)are not only on Lease to Amtrak, but that they are 3 of the 4 units that were modified back in 2003 to run the ill-fated 25A/26A Intermodal train from Croxton to I believe Roanoke via Amtrak's NEC.
The 4 GP-40-2's had there Horn re-postioned(over the conductors side cab roof) so that they could pass right thru 30th St. Sta.
For the last 7 years these units have been in Local service(mostly out in the western part of the NS system). So it's nice to see them back and Under Pennsy Wires!!!
Here they are on the 25A back in 2003:
http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPi ... id=1209749

Bri
  by Matthew Mitchell

Franklin Gowen wrote:11:36PM.....heard something unusually loud and definitely diesel-powered in the vicinity of Lansdowne/Gladstone, heading south (west) on the West Chester Branch. About two minutes later I heard *very* non-Silverliner horns blowing; probably for the Oak Avenue grade xing in Primos. It might be the ballast train!
Could it have been a SEPTA work extra bringing materials for the Media/Elwyn track project?
  by Quinn

Matthew Mitchell wrote:
Franklin Gowen wrote:11:36PM.....heard something unusually loud and definitely diesel-powered in the vicinity of Lansdowne/Gladstone, heading south (west) on the West Chester Branch. About two minutes later I heard *very* non-Silverliner horns blowing; probably for the Oak Avenue grade xing in Primos. It might be the ballast train!
Could it have been a SEPTA work extra bringing materials for the Media/Elwyn track project?
It's the ballast train. Lately they have been rolling out to Glen Mills at that time. I think it's 3032/3029 combo that leads them. (Not sure about the first, but I get up in time to see 3029 as the #2 car.) A few times over the last couple of weeks, the wire train makes a quick trip out later on, around 1-2 AM.
  by Big Bri

What's the Amtrak SYMBOL for the Glen Mills Stone train? KP-???
Anyone know?

Thanks,
Bri
  by scotty269

Through prospect park around midnight and again at 2am