• Arrrow III MU Scrapping

• Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.
Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

by trainzrok

It appears that the entire deadline of MUs from the Lack. Cutoff has been moved to a scrapyard in the Rahway-Woodbridge area. Cars should be 1388-1389-1476-1477-1399-1398-1513-1512-1371-1370-1407-1406-1410-1411-1350-1351-1305-1318. If anyone has any pictures of them getting chopped, or any other info relating, it'd be appreciated.
  by Jersey_Mike

What happened to those again? Sandy or other issues?
  by trainzrok

They were moved up there shortly after Sandy hit, for what I was told, to clear out some room in the MMC so other equipment could be repaired. Whether they were damaged or not, vandals got the most of them, ripped out copper wire and other scrap metal. My guess is, after they were hit by vandals, they were damaged beyond repair. And with all the ML2s coming in at the time, I'd imagine those MUs were NJT's lowest priority.
  by cnj1524

Any Idea of the scrapper? I live in the are,cant be to many places the can be stored,as it would require abit of space and tracks into yard,
I do know that several were sold late last year(18 of them)to C&K scrap metal but they are not in the woodbridge/rahway area
  by philipmartin

Here's what I posted on another thread nine days ago:
there is a dead line on either side of Cranford station. East of the station there are sixteen MUs, many with the pantographs off. The rails and even a few insulators for pantographs are still on some cars, but with the pants gone. West of the station there are about 19 MUs and one coach, and about seven road diesels.
philipmartin

by trainbrain

philipmartin wrote: There is a dead line on either side of Cranford station.
Are you thinking of Garwood?
  by ryanov

There were MU's visible from Westfield Ave east of Sun Tavern in Roselle Park. They appeared to me to be closer to Roselle Park than Cranford -- is it possible they're on the abandoned section of tracks east of the Aldene connection?
  by philipmartin

trainbrain wrote:
philipmartin wrote: There is a dead line on either side of Cranford station.
Are you thinking of Garwood?
Nope. I'm thinking of Cranford. I worked Excee tower there for about a year until it closed around 1992 - it seems like yesterday. So I have more of an interest in Cranford than other stations. If I were still working Excee, I'd walk over and copy numbers.
Last edited by philipmartin on Sat Jul 26, 2014 1:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
  by trainzrok

There's two cuts of MUs. One cut of about 14 sitting down by Aldene. And another cut West of Cranford. I believe the ones being chopped up were the ones in storage on the Lackawanna cutoff.
  by ACeInTheHole

Aww man.. 1305 was one of the better riding singles. I always sought that car out when I saw it in a train
  by Ken W2KB

ryanov wrote:There were MU's visible from Westfield Ave east of Sun Tavern in Roselle Park. They appeared to me to be closer to Roselle Park than Cranford -- is it possible they're on the abandoned section of tracks east of the Aldene connection?
If you mean east of the Lehigh Line bridge, the track is impassible due to tree growth since last cleared years ago.
  by Regardie

Ken W2KB wrote:
ryanov wrote:There were MU's visible from Westfield Ave east of Sun Tavern in Roselle Park. They appeared to me to be closer to Roselle Park than Cranford -- is it possible they're on the abandoned section of tracks east of the Aldene connection?
If you mean east of the Lehigh Line bridge, the track is impassible due to tree growth since last cleared years ago.

Just before the trees grow up through the tracks, under the Garden State Parkway is a line of 16 MUs. It would be the old CNJ Main Line to Elizabeth and Jersey City.
  by BigDell

Does anyone know the scrapper? The location, I mean? Who in the Woodbridge area has trackage? I'd be curious to take a field trip....
  by philipmartin

BigDell wrote:Does anyone know the scrapper? The location, I mean? Who in the Woodbridge area has trackage? I'd be curious to take a field trip....
I surprised that Naporano isn't doing the scrapping. NJT used to be a customer of theirs.
  by ns3010

It is indeed the cars from the Cutoff. They were brought to the MMC, cut in half there, and the halves were trucked down to the scrapper in Woodbridge to be ripped apart. I don't know what the scrapper is in Woodbridge, but they don't have a siding there, hence why the cars were halved at the MMC and trucked down.

Naporano doesn't handle nearly as much railroad scrapping as they used to, when they were a major scrapper of railroad stuff from across the country.

There are a bunch of other Arrows that have been retired, but have not been sold for scrap yet. In addition to the 18 from UN, there are 41 other cars that have recently been retired (including the ones stored along the RVL).