• Arrrow III MU Scrapping

• Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.
Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

by philipmartin

ns3010 wrote:It is indeed the cars from the Cutoff. They were brought to the MMC, cut in half there
Cut in half? That surprises me; I always thought they were only capable of maintenance.
UN- I guess you mean the old tower at Port Morris, unless it's the designation of the control point there.
  by Tadman

I don't think it takes much to cut a car in half. A torch and a pulse is about all you need provided a mechanic has already drained the fluids and stripped the parts to be saved.
  by ns3010

UN tower still stands as an empty graffitied shell, and UN is a CP eastward on Track A for trains leaving the yard. That's where the Cutoff splits off, but the switch is not yet interlocked.
  by philipmartin

ns3010 wrote:UN tower still stands as an empty graffitied shell,
An empty concrete shell. The Lackawanna built towers to last. Thank you for the information. I worked there in 1977 shortly after Conrail took over, and liked it.
  by BigDell

Naporano doesn't handle nearly as much railroad scrapping as they used to, when they were a major scrapper of railroad stuff from across the country.
When I was younger and a tad more foolish, I'd try to get close to Naporano and shoot the deadline. I seem to remember the CN or VIA blue/yellow turbo trains there waiting to get torched. A sad place, but interesting for the deadline.

Anyway, interesting about them getting cut in half at MMC. From there, what happens???
  by philipmartin

BigDell wrote: When I was younger and a tad more foolish, I'd try to get close to Naporano and shoot the deadline.
Years ago Naporano was scrapping GM old face busses; you could see them from the street. So I went in and asked if I could get the turn signals off a bus. The answer: nope.
I guess I figured they'd look good on my Honda. I got a genuine EMD oval builder's plate at a hobby shop, and riveted it to the front of my Honda. When I'd take the car in for inspection, I tell the mechanic that it was a GM locomotive because that was what the plate said.
  by philipmartin

The scrapping sight in Rahway is right next to the North Jersey Coast Line. On Tuesday I thought I saw the tops of four cars, but riding by yesterday and today saw nothing but large piles of scrap stainless steel. The only thing recognizable as railroad equipment is a pile of trucks.
  by BigDell

I guess I figured they'd look good on my Honda. I got a genuine EMD oval builder's plate at a hobby shop, and riveted it to the front of my Honda. When I'd take the car in for inspection, I tell the mechanic that it was a GM locomotive because that was what the plate said.
That is brilliant. I love that idea. I might have to do that.
The scrapping sight in Rahway is right next to the North Jersey Coast Line. On Tuesday I thought I saw the tops of four cars, but riding by yesterday and today saw nothing but large piles of scrap stainless steel. The only thing recognizable as railroad equipment is a pile of trucks.
Oh! I know the place! I had no idea they took railroad equipment. Makes sense!
  by philipmartin

Rahway junk yard viewed from the Coast Line.
  by green_elite_cab

Is there a chance I'd be able to contact these people? I'm trying to get a set of the control stands (Master Controller and brake valve) and other cab fittings for a display I'm working on.