• Any GP15-1's still alive?

• Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.
Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.

Moderator: MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

by iceman977th

Anyone know how many GP15-1's are still working and running on CSX tracks? I was on my way home from dropping my girlfriend off and about to jump on the interstate when I heard H997-17 call Brown St & Big Sandy, but engine #1558, I turned around as fast as I could and chased it through Kenova. It had an SD40-2 behind it, but I could tell it wasn't on, so that long train was being pulled by a single 1500hp engine. I will put a video up when I get home from school, but the sound of the non-turbo 567 sounded amazing.

Anyways, anyone else got a recent update as to how many are still running on the rails? Just out of curiosity.
  by scottychaos

This roster:
http://www.thedieselshop.us/CSX.HTML
shows 55 still on the CSX roster..listed as "yard power"..although its certaintly possible to see one out on the road somewhere..
perhaps being transferred to a different location..

Norfolk Southern retired all theirs a few years back, and several of them are now owned by LTEX (Larrys Truck and Electric)
several went for rebuilding at American Motive Power in Dansville, NY, were repainted, and can now be seen out and about with LTEX markings..

Some photos can be seen here:
http://www.railroad.net/forums//viewtop ... a&start=15
(and click to the next page too..page 3, for the repainted LTEX units)

Scot
  by lvrr325

I haven't seen one in upstate NY in some time, but even in Conrail days a GP15 was unusual. I did see an MP15 as the 4th unit on a road train last week, though. Might have been the first one of those I've ever seen, since Conrail dumped theirs before I got into the hobby.
  by ckwwestshore

There are many GP15s assigned to Kenmore, Ohio st, and Niagara Falls Yards on CSX in Buffalo, lease companies have them, UP has a few in Yard service and CSX has one currently in their Rochester yard. There are still a few left, with CSX being primary for them.
  by roadster

There's usually 1 assigned to Rochester, and I always see a couple when in Selkirk. Once in awhile one will find it's way to Dewitt. But usually disappears after a week or two.
  by iceman977th

Well, AFAIK 1558 is in Huntington. They ran light power to the yard after dropping the cut of high tops for NS delivery.

Video's up now, sorry for poor quality & language, I was driving & had a bad day & I was glad to at least hear this. About 1 minute from the end, the horn battle starts :D http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U-w2-Is3ycA
  by atsf sp

ckwwestshore wrote:There are still a few left, with CSX being primary for them.
CSX operates 30 GP15-1 and 25 GP15Ts. UP operates 200 GP15-1s. UP is the largest fleet operator of them ,not CSX.
  by Will_S

There are a gaggle of GP15's operating on the New Rock here in Illinois. I believe there are generally a number up in Riverdale, and additional units are kept in Ottawa and Seneca to serve industries in those municipalities as well as in Utica, Marseilles, Naplate, and Morris. They run until low on fuel, and are then tacked on the back of an eastbound BOR train to refuel at Barr Yard. Similarly, fresh units are dropped off with the returning westbound BOR train (J475/J476 not sure which is eastbound and which is westbound). I was through the area in December and there were four GP15's in Ottawa and another in Seneca. A few years ago GP38's or an occasional GP40 were more common, and SD40-2's were universal on the BOR train, but now GP15's are ho-hum and C40-8's, B40-8's, and SD50's are around in good proportion. About a year ago an ex-BN GP30M made an appearance, but that was a rarity.
  by FarmallBob

Here is GP15-1 #1548 rolling though Chili during the snowstorm couple weeks ago. It was sandwiched between a pair of ES44's and an aging SD40, and was online/pulling with the rest of 'em...
IMG_1165 cr.JPG
  by Will_S

I was driving down US 6 running errands this morning, and CSX had a YN3 GP40 and a YN1 GP15 shunting cars on the siding between ADM Ottawa and the old GE Plastics facility. These units would be based out of Ottawa.
  by WVU

We have had several Conrail GP15-1 units come down the Standard Repair Line at the Huntington Locomotive Shop in 2010. They have had new Power Assembleys put in them and Loaded on the Loadbox.
  by lvrr325

I think I caught a glimpse of one, eastbound, late Sunday afternoon on a freight as it passed the can-of-worms 590-490 interchange on the east side of Rochester. Was driving, so I couldn't really give a good look. CSX dark future paint though.
  by Alcochaser

You see them in the Midwest all the time. Indianapolis, Chicago, etc.
  by sd80mac

Alcochaser wrote:You see them in the Midwest all the time. Indianapolis, Chicago, etc.
Yup, during CR years, I never saw GP 15 in NYS. My first sight of GP15 was in Indianpolis.... Since Day One, I started to see them in NYS (rochester area, include buffalo and syracuse)... I dont know why CR assigned them in west end (not sure about PA) while we get ulgy SW and GE 7-23 in here...