• Another stupid I mean impatient truck driver vs train

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

by superwarp1

In Westfield, Ma on the old B&A line. Seems this impatient truck drive was waiting for a slow westbound CSX train to pass. When the westbound finally did clear the crossing the truck driver went around the crossing gates and got T boned by a eastbound freight. Truck driver survived but his dog didn't.

http://www.wwlp.com/news2004/story.html?artID=410537

by CSX Engineer 98

Ive had many close encounters at that crossing and in West Springfield with impatiant drivers

by superwarp1

Funny,

My link works for me. Anyone else having problems?

Engineer 98,

What are the procedures when something like this happens? I know trains finally started moving around 6 pm

by RussNelson

Sounds like commercial licenses need to say "When the gates are down, and a train clears one of two tracks, is it safe to drive around the gates?"

and the answer needs to be "Not just no, but *hell no*.

by CSX Engineer 98

superwarp1 wrote:Funny,

My link works for me. Anyone else having problems?

Engineer 98,

What are the procedures when something like this happens? I know trains finally started moving around 6 pm
Be more specific about procedures: Railroads reactions after the fact or Engineers actions before incident and after..... Ive delt with both

by superwarp1

Start with right when you see something in the crossing, to how you report it, what the railroad does to clear the line and how the railroad work with local authorities to investigate what happened.

by spencer8b75

I think these new windshield mounted camera's that I have been seeing in the latest generation of motive power are worth every penny..I hope the 5224 was equiped with one and that it was operating at the time. It makes my stomach turn when I find out that some moron gets awarded millions at a railroads expense for stupidity..Its a shame the poor dog had to suffer for his masters idiodic actions......

by CSX Engineer 98

superwarp1 wrote:Start with right when you see something in the crossing, to how you report it, what the railroad does to clear the line and how the railroad work with local authorities to investigate what happened.
A) when you see something in the crossing as a truck and you know you cant stop in time "praying its not a propaine or Gasoline truck"

1. We are taught to continuously Lay on the Horn, and my class at Engineer school was told to wait until the last possible second to Dump the train (put the automatic train brakes into emergency) and "Bail off"or actuate the Independant brake to save the locomotives wheels from sliding causing"Severly Flat spots on the wheels". This last part will be argued by engineers out there but that is what we are told at CSX.

2. If your unfortune and strike a Vehicle at a Grade crossing . the Enginner stays in the locomotive to Makes all the nessesary Radio calls " Emergency emergency emergency" your Train Number and Mile post and Location of the incident to the train dispatcher.
while this is going on the Conductor grabs a Copy of the Train orders and any Hazmat info and then proceeds to the Wreck to see if he can assist the person or persons involved and on the way Checks the train to see if the train is on the Tracks and if any cars are derailed..Common sence then Radios his findings to the Head end.

3. If your unfortunite and strike a Vehicle at a Grade crossing everyone and there mothers show up. we the Crew only answer to Railroad officials and nobody but the Railroad not even a cop until the Railroad officials show up on the Sceane. Give your Employee Number and Your Road formans name or supervisors name...Only there is reasons why.

Railroad Officials that show up: Trainmasters, Road forman, Claims agent, Track Supervisors and track personal..Many Track guys, A Car repairman and eventually another Crew to Recrew to move the train.

More People: Local cops, State Cops, Fireman & trucks and Ambulance, Hazmat Team, Local newspaper and TV News and Various qurious people

B) the Investagation into the Incident:

All Class #1 Railroads Carry a "Black Box" or event recorder that records the Whole history of the locomotive trip ( Some ive been told are able to go back 30 Days..?) anyways this box is able to tell exactly what took place during the trip, its able to tell Many things:

Speeds, in our area Signal indication, throttle position, Reverser position, traction motor Amperage, brake cylinder pressure, Main resevior pressure, Brake application when and in feet to and from the incident, Radio Comunication, Lights, bells and Horn...and many other features some 30 other I believe. not to mention if the Locomotive is equiped with a Micro-proccesor to be Downloaded along with the "Black Box" info all in the Roadformans Laptop computer infact all the trains locomotive consist is downloaded. and then this info is studied and studied again 3 times to make sure the Crew did there job correctly. and Then its discussed among the officals to see if they can "Hang the Crew" especially if a Fatality or Major damage done to the System or equipment. the railroad needs a Scape Goat to take the fall incase of faulty equipment, Track or crew.... The railroad Never takes the Blame it must be Human error.

I must tell you this is sadly true fortunitly Not for me this senario anyways But know for a Fact that this happens to many this way.

C) Railroad operations:

Depending on the Condition or damage of Track, Train and actual Train Traffic on the Line. all the Railroad officials pull together amazingly and Reroute if nessesary, Rerail if nessesary and clean up to get train traffic moving ASAP.

Last but not least the crew:

As for the Crew the railroad is suppost to provide support and make avalible Comfort in a Psychiatrist to or concelor to talk to..Ive yet to have either of this service provided through what they Refure to as a reponce team or "Go Team" ........Never even a Call from a Supervisor or an Engineers friend "Your Road forman"......... Ha to see how you are doing

Hope this sheds some light on your question...

thanks for the Time

by CSX Engineer 98

spencer8b75 wrote:I think these new windshield mounted camera's that I have been seeing in the latest generation of motive power are worth every penny..I hope the 5224 was equiped with one and that it was operating at the time. It makes my stomach turn when I find out that some moron gets awarded millions at a railroads expense for stupidity..Its a shame the poor dog had to suffer for his masters idiodic actions......
I heard the cameras were there to watch the crew fall asleep.... :wink:

by superwarp1

very interesting, thanks for the info.

by CSX Conductor

Just as information, yes, the 5200's & 5300's are equipped with the dash-cams. It is unfortunately that we have another crash at this crossing in I believe less than 2 years. Coincidently, the engineer called to re-crew Q174, which hit the truck, was the engineer that hit the truck carrying concrete pipes at the same crossing.....I'm sure that brought back some unfortunate memories. :( Another tidbit of info I noticed whil reviewing this on the Incident Log was that it said two crew members were taken to the hospital, whereas usually it says with minor injuries and this didn't, I hope they are ok and didn't suffer from burns from when the truck cab and their lead locomotive caught fire.

by superwarp1

figures,

Nothing was said about the train crew in the paper. Only truck driver and his dead dog.

by kilroy

Nothing was said about the train crew in the paper. Only truck driver and his dead dog.
Why would the paper care about the crew? After all, as far as the paper is concerned, it's their fault the accident occurred in the first place.
  by cougar3676

Just had a question....does anyone know why the locomotives involved in the grade crossing accident in Westfield have been idling on the siding here for days now? Is there a reason they haven't been taken to the repair shop yet? Just curious, since I work at the warehouse next to where the locos are parked.