• And the cutting begins

• Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.
Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

by Idiot Railfan

I guess weekend service ain't coming to the Boonton portion of the Montclair-Boonton Line for a while (WORMS territory)
  by SecaucusJunction

gardendance wrote:I'm worried too. I hope the anti-repetition and redundancy squad won't be mad at me for repeating and saying again something I put in another thread:
If public transit rides are subsidized money losers, and gasoline tax revenue is a money gainer, then the treasury is better off reducing public transit so those former riders buy gas.

As a railfan, and looking at the big picture, I don't support support such penny wise-pound foolish thinking, but there are some people who do.

This is what I have been saying for years... and everyone here told me I was crazy. These fare hikes are utterly ridiculous and is a result of this state spending money they don't have for years. They would LOVE you to get back and congest the roads so they can get their precious gas tax... the longer you sit in traffic, the more gas you buy.
  by MetucheNscale

Marv95 wrote:
MetucheNscale wrote:A 25 % increase on light rail, busses, trains, weekly and monthly passes, seniors, children and disabled. SEPTA will get more of my ridding miles, and NJT less. Less riders will mean a bigger loss, which will bring another increase quicker.
Good for you. Prepare for another SEPTA strike in the fall.
Yep, I lived thru the last SEPTA strike, but the trains were not affected, nor were SEPTA suburban busses where I live. With Casey now running SEPTA, it can only get better (and NJT can now only get worse.)
  by Matt Johnson

Wow, I've ridden 2309 - always crowded! Really, all of the NJCL and NEC cuts are going to cause overcrowding on other trains. Not good.
  by cruiser939

MetucheNscale wrote:
Marv95 wrote:
MetucheNscale wrote:A 25 % increase on light rail, busses, trains, weekly and monthly passes, seniors, children and disabled. SEPTA will get more of my ridding miles, and NJT less. Less riders will mean a bigger loss, which will bring another increase quicker.
Good for you. Prepare for another SEPTA strike in the fall.
Yep, I lived thru the last SEPTA strike, but the trains were not affected, nor were SEPTA suburban busses where I live. With Casey now running SEPTA, it can only get better (and NJT can now only get worse.)
WOO! SEPTA roolz! we r gr8!
  by Port Jervis

Idiot Railfan wrote:I guess weekend service ain't coming to the Boonton portion of the Montclair-Boonton Line for a while (WORMS territory)
It's going to be reduced to a rush-hour only line now.
  by blockline4180

Port Jervis wrote:
Idiot Railfan wrote:I guess weekend service ain't coming to the Boonton portion of the Montclair-Boonton Line for a while (WORMS territory)
It's going to be reduced to a rush-hour only line now.

I'm sure the Tuesday/Thursday NS H02 will be glad they won't have to wait at Lincoln Park for the midday trains anymore! :P
  by Jishnu

When you figure out how to get to New York or anywhere other than Trenton or West Trenton in NJ riding SEPTA trains, let us know :)

And BTW, don't do too much "ridding" :P That will save even more money ;)
  by njtmnrrbuff

The midday cuts on the Mtc-Btn do not suprise me. If no one rides those trains, than they shouldn't really be on the schedule. I remember a few years ago, on NYE 2008, I took 1025 to Dover, and I was one of the only two passengers on it, after we left MSU.

On the schedule, I don't see the point about having 247 and 1029 as two separate trains, especially if 247 runs between HOB and MSU. My point that I'm trying to make is since the Mtc-Btn is diesel west of MSU, and diesels can only use HOB under their own power, just combine both 247 and 1029, which I see is on the proposed plan.

25 percent might be a bit too overkill with the fare hike.
  by blockline4180

njt/mnrrbuff wrote:The midday cuts on the Mtc-Btn do not suprise me. If no one rides those trains, than they shouldn't really be on the schedule. I remember a few years ago, on NYE 2008, I took 1025 to Dover, and I was one of the only two passengers on it, after we left MSU.

On the schedule, I don't see the point about having 247 and 1029 as two separate trains, especially if 247 runs between HOB and MSU. My point that I'm trying to make is since the Mtc-Btn is diesel west of MSU, and diesels can only use HOB under their own power, just combine both 247 and 1029, which I see is on the proposed plan.

I agree on all accounts, however I still haven't gotten an answer as to why train #813 will be eliminated.... I've been on that train a handful of times in recent history and each time it has been almost at capacity leaving Hoboken.
  by Ken S.

blockline4180 wrote:
njt/mnrrbuff wrote:The midday cuts on the Mtc-Btn do not suprise me. If no one rides those trains, than they shouldn't really be on the schedule. I remember a few years ago, on NYE 2008, I took 1025 to Dover, and I was one of the only two passengers on it, after we left MSU.

I agree on all accounts, however I still haven't gotten an answer as to why train #813 will be eliminated.... I've been on that train a handful of times in recent history and each time it has been almost at capacity leaving Hoboken.
They want people to drive more and all non-drivers out of the state. You should see the number that is going to be done on the MCM bus service. NJT just made SEPTA look 1,000,000 times better.
  by Port Jervis

What NJT wants to do to 247/1029 was pretty much how things were as recently as 18 months ago. It was a service change that made no sense to me.

To add, I think they should get rid of 607 (6:22 Hoboken-Dover) and extend 6305 (6:11 NYP-Summit) to Dover.
  by Ken S.

Jishnu wrote:
When you figure out how to get to New York or anywhere other than Trenton or West Trenton in NJ riding SEPTA trains, let us know :)

And BTW, don't do too much "ridding" :P That will save even more money ;)
Ever hear of Greyhound/Peter Pan?
  by jp1822

I can't help to think that NJT can't get some efficiencies out of eliminating the "South Amboy Locals" in favor of restructuring the NJCL schdule to operate better express and local schedules (between Bay Head/Long Branch and Newark/Hoboken/NYP, as well as just having the NEC line pickup the local station stops that the South Amboy NJCL locals would normally handle. Matawan is the busiest train station on the NJCL. Amtrak used to run a train from Long Branch (after picking up passengers there) and express to Matawan, before it would turn into essentially a local to Woodbridge.

I also have to wonder now-a-days about having a station like Avenel when Rahway and Woodbridge are so close and service has been cutback at that station so much as it is.

What service will be left on the Atlantic City line when they end up butchering service down there?

And NJT has done its best to kill off service south of Long Branch. If they operated a few diesel expresses (true express trains) from Bay Head to Hoboken it might be a draw for passengers - but not on the current slow poke route that NJT schedules trains for south of Long Branch and the few that continue on to Hoboken.

With #2306 being eliminated in the morning, this is going to leave a hole in the schedule, as there were many times that Long Branch "ran out of train sets" by the time #2306 was to pass through and people would simply get on #2306.

Appears often that the last train out of Long Branch in the morning before a train coming down from NYC has to be turned is the 7:10 a.m. out of Long Branch. After that Long Branch has to rely on inbound equipment turns from train sets coming down from NYP. A backup to this was any "Bay Head - Hoboken" trains, which could be found in train #2306. Perhaps Long Branch will see an extra train set pop up.
  by HillDweller

I just saw the proposed cuts for the Morris County bus service-- almost entirely eliminated. It looks like my usual joke about it being against the Morris County Rules to live here without a car is about to become a reality.