• Amtrak schematic map

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

by Jersey_Mike

Great jarb, looks totally up to date.

You might consider adding Amtrak contract services like SLE to another map.

by blockss

It would be nice to see which track is electrified and where.

by SPUI

I'm planning on making another map, showing all the stations and drawn to scale; presumably I could add electrified trackage to that one. Of course I'd need information on where that is; can you provide that?

Also, what trackage does Amtrak actually own?
  by NellieBly

Amtrak actually owns the following track:

1) BOS - New Haven
2) CP 216 (New Rochelle - NYP - WAS)
3) New Haven - Springfield
4) PHL - Harrisburg
5) Porter, IN (junction with NS) to CP "BO" in Kalamazoo

They also own station and yard tracks in Chicago, New Orleans, Orlando, Los Angeles, Oakland, Portland, and Seattle, and lease space in Hialeah Yard from the State of Florida.

by SPUI

Do they own the whole New Haven-Boston route, or does MBTA own the part in Massachusetts?

by octr202

Boston to the RI line is controlled, maintained and dispatched by Amtrak, but owned by the Commonwealth of Massachusetts.

by Greg Moore

I really like this map.

For one thing it does help show some of the potential "holes" in the service.

For example, now one can play, "what if".

What if for example Amtrak were able to add a coach only train from Buffalo-Depew to Cleveland? Would that encourage more traffic on on the Capitol Limited? Would it open up more potential routing for people.

by AmtrakFan

Very Nice Map.

John

by MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

octr202 wrote:Boston to the RI line is controlled, maintained and dispatched by Amtrak, but owned by the Commonwealth of Massachusetts.
when i visited the NEC Dispatcher last year, they Dispatch trains all the way until New Haven, at least i think, because on the huge TV screen, it showed all the track from Boston to New Haven and every train that was on it

by pdman

Great map. I like especially the delineation of the Carolinas and Florida routings...clears them up. Thanks for the contribution to all of us.

by SPUI

pdman wrote:Great map. I like especially the delineation of the Carolinas and Florida routings...clears them up. Thanks for the contribution to all of us.
I also recently wrote http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silver_Ser ... d_Palmetto - that describes the November 1, 2004 changes.

by orulz

I like the Carolina & Florida service part too; However, there is one error I would like to point out. The auto train does not travel west from Selma on the NCRR through Raleigh and Columbia; since there are, of course, no stops between Lorton and Sanford, it stays on the ACL the whole way since it's a faster, straighter route. This is the same route through the Carolinas & Georgia that the Silver Meteor takes. Of course, since there are no stops between Lorton and Sanford, this is of questionable importance, but you might take note anyway.

Also worthy of note is that a proposal is on the table to rebuild the SAL line between Raleigh, NC and Petersburg, VA. This project also includes some major realignments to bring the MAS up to 110mph, as a part of the Southeast High Speed Rail initiative. In addition to the proposed high speed trains, the Silver Star would then be routed over this line as well, since that was the route that it used before the SAL was decomissioned in the 70s. Even if the "high speed" part of this plan doesn't pan out, the line may still be reinstated since it could help to alleviate freight congestion on the ACL.
  by PRRTechFan

Wow! Nice work on the map... Even though you've released it "in the public domain"; Amtrak should use it as the centerfold for their next timetable, and make you a nice donation for your work. (Tickets, maybe; ...where would you like to go today?) Amtrak, are you listening?

In any event, regarding electrification; I believe that Boston-New Haven-New York-Philly-Baltimore-Washington and Philly-Harrisburg is all there is...

by SPUI

orulz wrote:I like the Carolina & Florida service part too; However, there is one error I would like to point out. The auto train does not travel west from Selma on the NCRR through Raleigh and Columbia; since there are, of course, no stops between Lorton and Sanford, it stays on the ACL the whole way since it's a faster, straighter route. This is the same route through the Carolinas & Georgia that the Silver Meteor takes. Of course, since there are no stops between Lorton and Sanford, this is of questionable importance, but you might take note anyway.
Thanks for the info - http://www.amtrak.com/servlet/ContentSe ... 0&ssid=136 really makes it look like it uses the west route, with the jog in northern NC.