• Amtrak schematic map

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

by transitteen

I have one other minor correction. In California, the Pacific Surfliner operates from San Luis Obispo, not Paso Robles. I do appreciate your including the Capitol Corridor up to Auburn. The common misconception is that all trains end at SAC. While most do, one train from OAK (SJC on weekends) operates to ARN. Looks good!

by SPUI

I've fixed the Auto Train (hopefully that information is correct; it does make sense) and the Surfliner. I also added the Clocker to the Regional line, and did some minor swapping of colors. It's still at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Amtrak_schematic.png.

by transitteen

Ah... sorry... forgot to mention that note about the thruway... Thanks!
  by orulz

re the auto train: I see what you mean on the Amtrak website; and while the auto train has on occasion (due to track work or flooding) detoured through Columbia, I stand by my statement... that is not its regular route. I live about a quarter mile away from the tracks in Raleigh, and the only Amtrak trains that ever come through here are the Silver Star, the Carolinian, and the Piedmont.

by SPUI

I've uploaded it again - it now has Thruway Motorcoach service.

by CComMack

First of all, SPUI, thank you for this map, and for all your other contributions to Wikipedia. They're much appreciated.

(Plug: users of this forum who are familiar with Wikipedia and its policies and ettiquette are encouraged to assist with WikiProject Trains, a community project to assemble encyclopedic knowledge about all aspects of railroads past and present. Users unfamiliar with Wikipedia are encourage to get familiar with Wikipedia; it's really a great thing.)

Unfortunately, I am away from my copy of the National Timetable for the holidays and cannot answer this question myself: are there no more through-routed Regional trains to Boston via the Inland Route? I know they existed as recently as a year ago, but don't remember hearing that they were removed from the schedule.

Thanks,
M. Noda

by Gilbert B Norman

NY-Boston service via the Inland Route is history. Last Daily train was circa 1999. A weekend train "hung on' until the most recent Timetable.

A routing using the Lake Shore connecting at Springfield is still possible; however given the EB 448's relaibility ("Late for Sure', lest we forget) renders that routing 'diminished' in value.

We should be mindful that the New Haven & Boston & Albany did not operate a through train, as such to my knowledge. However, there was an interchange of both Mail & Express cars as well as a Sleeper.

by VikingNik

What program did you use to draw this map? I have tinkered with Visio to create my ideal US passenger rail map but I haven't figured out how to achieve the parallel multiple lines of yours. Great job.

by SPUI

I used Macromedia Freehand, though any vector graphics program that allows snapping to a grid should do. I used a grid of 32 and a line width of 32/sqrt(2) so they were just thin enough for 45 degree sections.

by meh

I love the map--great job. Well-done vector graphics gain my admiration and respect because I know very well how long it takes to do them well. (Corel Draw is my preferred program.)

I have one comment about Thruway service in Missouri: while the timetable (p. 85) does list the Carbondale-St. Louis-Kansas City connection for the City of New Orleans under the Thruway heading, it actually is served by a bus only from Carbondale to St. Louis; the St. Louis-Kansas City segment is covered by trains 301 and 306. (This is subtle, and the only real distinction in the timetable is that the train has a three-digit number and is shown in blue screen whereas the bus has a four-digit number and is shown in grey screen.)