• Amtrak Pioneer Route

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

by Gilbert B Norman

railfanofewu wrote:. Say, are any of the stations the Pioneer used to serve in Wyoming still there?
UP stations were quite inpressive structures. That at Green River is a massive structure, as are others. In the event of a service restoration, who knows if UP would again make them available for Amtrak use.

by boyishcolt

What is the condition of these UP stations now? are they in any kind of good condition or are they boarded up?

by Sam Damon

A number of the Pioneer stations may be viewed here .

Sadly, the webmaster of the site linked above didn't make it to Wyoming before the Pioneer departed for the last time. He did make it to some of the ones in Idaho and Oregon.

by AmtrakFan

boyishcolt wrote:What is the condition of these UP stations now? are they in any kind of good condition or are they boarded up?
I have seen several of them on my travel's over the yeras and most of them are in good shape.
  by UPRR engineer

Gilbert B Norman wrote:
railfanofewu wrote:. Say, are any of the stations the Pioneer used to serve in Wyoming still there?
UP stations were quite inpressive structures. That at Green River is a massive structure, as are others. In the event of a service restoration, who knows if UP would again make them available for Amtrak use.
Our depot is in bad shape, its on the list of historic buildings in need of saving. They're trying to get it condemned, i cant remember who exactly wants it. We would then be moved into annex trailers i guess. It would be neat if they fixed up the inside, turned the bottom half into a decent restaurant or a fast food mini mall type place, or something like that, where the public could make use of it, and enjoy it. With in the next couple years something is gonna happen to it.
  by transitrider

Amtrak is in works possiblity to restore the old route. Details:

http://www.forbes.com/feeds/ap/2009/04/ ... 77890.html

Cheyenne on board with Amtrak route restoration
By MEAD GRUVER , 04.09.09, 08:50 PM EDT
This city exists because of railroads, but regular commercial passenger trains haven't rumbled through here in almost a dozen years. That could change. Amtrak is evaluating whether to resume service on three discontinued routes, including the old Pioneer line that used to cross southern Wyoming on its way between Denver and Seattle. Mayor Rick Kaysen, the economic development group Cheyenne LEADS and the Cheyenne Area Convention and Visitors Bureau like the idea. They're urging Amtrak to restore the route.
  by bratkinson

As I see it, there's been a lot of talk about restoring the Pioneer route, and even a few bucks to do a study or two.

But until there's some real state-provided dollars for route repairs and operating expense, there won't be any "New Pioneer"....especially in these tough times for state governments!

And, wasn't it Boise that the route will now have to bypass due to UP removing the route into town? Sounds like Phoenix all over again...and Borie, too!

'nuf said.
  by Gilbert B Norman

Mr. Transitrider, while not for one moment am I suggesting that you broke any Forum rules or for that matter any appertaining Fair Use by linking to the Associated Press material, let us be mindful that AP could well "get tough" and the availability of their material at the web curtailed:

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/04/07/busin ... paper.html

Finally, I believe your material should be cited as "Associated Press courtesy of Forbes.Com"
  by slchub

There has been talk about restoring service but that is about all. A feasibility study will soon be conducted and we should know the results by the end of the year according to internal memos here at Amtrak. We have not seen a rush for additional T&E crews here in SLC.
  by Tom V

What about the Desert Wind, Los Angeles could use another train link to the East and Las Vegas should have passenger rail service.
  by AMTK1007

Tom V wrote:What about the Desert Wind, Los Angeles could use another train link to the East and Las Vegas should have passenger rail service.
The Pioneer study was mandated by congress.... that is why it is being studied
  by Gilbert B Norman

AMTK1007 wrote:The Pioneer study was mandated by congress.... that is why it is being studied
Adobe Page 216
  by TBlack

GBN,

Thanks for posting that link. Further down in the bill, Section 228 actually, is a section calling for Congress to declare whether they think Amtrak can serve as a national passenger rail network. If you thought that the answer could possibly be "no" I don't believe the previous 227 sections of the bill are necessary. Also, if you read the language in that section, to vote "no" would be akin to spitting on the flag. Now, GBN, I know from years of reading your thoughts that LD are two letters that you type with some trepidation and that you approach the subject on a dollars and cents basis (this is good for a CPA!), but it may be that Amtrak will defy the laws of nature?

TB
  by Gilbert B Norman

Mr. Black, that the LD system has survived to this day is certainly defying the laws of nature.

But then, as I have continually held, the LD system represents the "ways of Washington" and is the catalyst to securing Federal level funding for what is essentially a regional operation but nevertheless is the only route that provides absolutely essential transportation - that is of course the NEC.

However at this time, I do believe the existing system is safe It appears that the Obama administration, just like the Bush administration, has more pressing matters to address than finding other ways to garner necessary congressional support for the Corridor - therefore so far as the Government is concerned at this time, it will continue to be funded and stays.

Expansion of the System? why. Amtrak presently has the legislative majority needed to ensure it's continued funding.

The railroads are laying low on the matter of eliminating the LD system, and at this time with traffic greatly reduced, there might actually be a road welcoming the Amtrak performance payments. However, all should be mindful there is a regulation minded Administration in town nowadays, and the railroad industry is fertile ground for such. A "rereg" of rates and services, responding to a group of shippers that founded or otherwise feel aggrieved, would simply plunge the industry back into the Dark Ages; the Renaissance the industry has enjoyed for the past twenty five years would be erased or at least greatly compromised - and could possibly result in the nationalization of the industry.

All that is needed is a bad train wreck, and I could foresee unreasonable safety regulations imposed that likely would not even address the cause of the incident that prompted the initiative. I continue to ask how any kind of Positive Train control system would have avoided Weyauwega?

In short, the industry is taking the position that "someone made a bad deal" or "someone lied" (as I've noted here before, it was my understanding LD trains were to be phased out starting about five years after A-Day. The Carter Cuts were simply the first step to implement that plan) or a combination of both, but the perils of raising any initiative at this time be be rid of LD's could have too many adverse consequences. Time for a little Kubler-Ross Phase V - acceptance.
  by David Benton

Do we know this is the way the railroads think today , as opposed to 20 -30 years ago ???