• Amtrak derailment in New Haven,CT - 10PM 10/28

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

by Fred G

David Telesha wrote: And with a catenary bridge and wires down in the middle of the night no less, I'd say you'll be "up the creek" if you ride into NYC before noon tomorrow unless CDOT or Amtrak finds some spare diesels (laughing out loud) to tow the electrics through the dead area.
Funny you should mention that. This linked photo was taken at Old Saybrook, Friday October 27, at 11:20AM.

by MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

did amtrak keep the diesels on regional train all the way to boston, or switch them with electrics along the line

by CSX Conductor

MBTA F40PH-2C 1050 wrote:did amtrak keep the diesels on regional train all the way to boston, or switch them with electrics along the line
Electrics as far as I saw, although as I posted the other day, I did see a Regional being pulled by a pair of Genesis engines in your next of the woods on Friday.

by hsr_fan

Any word on the extent of the damage from the derailment? I hope that Acela Express set isn't out of commission for too long.

by efin98

*Trainset 18 was involved in an accident on October 28, 2004, in New Haven, Conn. First Class car 3201 suffered considerable underframe damage when it hit a bridge support. As of October 31, the in-service status of this car and trainset is in doubt.
As found on On Track On Line

Looks like it will be a while before more is known, but that looks to be big trouble for that trainset...

by hsr_fan

Too bad. :(

by efin98

The trainset suffered more damage than I thought, from the reports up here in Boston it sounded like a simple derailment with peripheral damage to the catenary tower and a utility pole...looks can really be deceiving!

by hsr_fan

Sounds like the damage is limited to the first class car, or perhaps the first class car and the adjacent locomotive. I wonder what they'll do with the remainder of the trainset if those elements are "totalled".

by MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

so how many trainsets are now active? 19 ?

by DutchRailnut

How rumors get started Department : HST nothing is totalled. the car has a little damage to side and a few windows, and some of underbody skirting is damaged. trainset will probably be put to use as a 5 car backup set, till repairs can be made.

by efin98

DutchRailnut wrote:How rumors get started Department : HST nothing is totalled. the car has a little damage to side and a few windows, and some of underbody skirting is damaged. trainset will probably be put to use as a 5 car backup set, till repairs can be made.
Are you stating that as a rumor or clarifying what was reported above?
  by Gilbert B Norman

Messrs Efin and Railnut--

I would appreciate it if you Gents would kindly get on the same page and each report what you know "straight".

You both are from the Northeast and I believe you would be a better source to know "what's going down' on this matter than would others.

GBN

by DutchRailnut

My source is pictures I saw of the accident taken by supervisors at schene, btw MNCR rtc did not give permission or order 2091 to back up.

by early80sNECguy

I guess it could have been worse........

Check out these photos from a similar wreck involving a catanary post in CT back in 1984.

http://photos.nerail.org/show/?order=by ... =e60hunter

by DutchRailnut

Quite a difference hitting a Catenary structure at 60 mph or backing up a train and sideswiping a catenary structure at less than 15 mph.