• Amtrak considering Bi-levels for NE Corridor

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

by Greg Moore

ThirdRail7 wrote: As for the viewliner shell, I'm looking for something that is universal. Viewliners have 1 door that is manual operated, is heavier than the current coach fleet ( I think) and all of those windows would be useless on a coach. Indeed, it would be an annoyance, particularly for early morning travel. Not my idea for a good coach.

Before someone says "just add another door and train line it and....etc: If you do that, it isn't really a viewliner.
Ah, fair point.
  by FRN9

mtuandrew wrote:
FRN9 wrote:
mtuandrew wrote:Shame the Center City Connection in Philadelphia doesn't connect back to the NEC from the Reading, or you could run joint SEPTA-NJT Clockers with relative ease. No reversing needed with the Sunnyside loop. I don't think Amtrak needs to be involved regardless, not for that particular route for that density of seating.
This could work perfectly with the ALP45 and the NJT doubledeckers. NYC to Reading with limited stops after Norristown and between 30th Street and Trenton.
Not service to Reading, PA, but using the former Reading Railroad from Market East to North Philadelphia. In other words, this train would operate as a limited-stop NJT NEC Line train from NYP to Trenton, a limited-stop SEPTA train from Trenton to PHL 30th St., stop at Suburban and Market East, and use the (nonexistent) track connection at North Philadelphia to reenter the NEC and go northeast. No Reading, no Allentown, no Harrisburg, no need for ALP-45DPs or Amtrak, only a conveyor belt from NYP to PHL operated jointly by NJT and SEPTA. In other words, a new and better Clocker with a fare somewhere between commuter and Amtrak.

EDIT: Whoops, this series of posts was really supposed to be in the Budget Corridor Travel thread. Mods, would you mind transferring the string over there please? :)
Yes, I agree. Its a great idea.
  by amtrakowitz

FRN9 wrote:
mtuandrew wrote:
FRN9 wrote:
mtuandrew wrote:Shame the Center City Connection in Philadelphia doesn't connect back to the NEC from the Reading, or you could run joint SEPTA-NJT Clockers with relative ease. No reversing needed with the Sunnyside loop. I don't think Amtrak needs to be involved regardless, not for that particular route for that density of seating.
This could work perfectly with the ALP45 and the NJT doubledeckers. NYC to Reading with limited stops after Norristown and between 30th Street and Trenton.
Not service to Reading, PA, but using the former Reading Railroad from Market East to North Philadelphia. In other words, this train would operate as a limited-stop NJT NEC Line train from NYP to Trenton, a limited-stop SEPTA train from Trenton to PHL 30th St., stop at Suburban and Market East, and use the (nonexistent) track connection at North Philadelphia to reenter the NEC and go northeast. No Reading, no Allentown, no Harrisburg, no need for ALP-45DPs or Amtrak, only a conveyor belt from NYP to PHL operated jointly by NJT and SEPTA. In other words, a new and better Clocker with a fare somewhere between commuter and Amtrak.

EDIT: Whoops, this series of posts was really supposed to be in the Budget Corridor Travel thread. Mods, would you mind transferring the string over there please? :)
Yes, I agree. Its a great idea.
?
  by trainbrain

I don't see what would prevent Amtrak from being able to use cars similar to NJT Multilevels as an Amfleet replacement. NJT's former ACES service used them in an intercity configuration, so why not just copy that configuration and use it on Amtrak. To make up for the lack of luggage space, they removed a couple rows of seats and added a luggage rack. Also, there would be no need for the quarter point doors, so that space could be used for more seats or luggage space.

For the cafe cars, the design would be more complicated. I thought it would work well if cars were built with the cafe on the lower level and regular seats on the upper level. However, the raised floors where the seats are on the lower level could pose a problem. I'm not sure if the raised floors could be removed without changing the structure of the car significantly. I believe ACES had the bar on the mid level at the end of the car. That could work with the cafe on the mid level and booth style seating on the lower level (like the Amfleets) with regular coach seating on the upper level. That way people who wanted easy access to the cafe could sit in the same car, if they didn't mind the increased traffic and noise.
  by DutchRailnut

how about reading previous post, the points have been made, lets not rehash everything again.