• Amtrak Capitol Limited Thread

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

by Suburban Station

jstolberg wrote:
ThirdRail7 wrote:Unless something dramatic occurs, Train 30 will depart CHI at 7:10pm (an hour later) and is scheduled to arrive in WAS at 3:10p (two hours and thirty minutes later) until mid-August.

It will be interesting to see how this all works out. Rush hour in the terminal is tough enough without two Superliner consists hogging valuable real estate.
Arriving at 3:10 pm and need to be clear of the platform by rush hour? Looks like those passengers arriving from Chicago are going to have to do the hustle.
it's actually a better departure time out of chicago for passengers I think...arriving pittsburgh an hour later (the only notable passenger point in between is another plus). I don't think it will be a headache at all for passengers.
  by train2

I have been noticing (as well as hearing non-credited info) that a change has been made to the eastbound Capitol Limited schedule. The last time I checked the timetable on the web site it still showed the old times, but now the train is not showing as late when it would be considered late. I have wondered why this was done, it puts the train into the tunnel work area in WV later into the work day. At one time, the train had a very early cut off to meet to get through this area, not it runs during the time it would have been cut off.

Any definitive insight on this?

D300
  by train2

OK did not see this. Still doesn't give any reason as to why?

Any takers?

T2
  by ThirdRail7

Do you remember the collapse of the Pinkerton Tunnel a few months ago? It is under repair and CSX needs a solid window to perform work. The rescheduling gives them what they need.
  by Ken W2KB

Amtrak's service alert indicates track work and possible busing if train runs too late will not occur Fridays and Saturdays so looks like I was fortunate several months ago when I booked a Friday departure from CHI to WAS for my upcoming trip.
  by ThirdRail7

That is a different disruption and the related hold is not in effect during this emergency schedule.
  by Tom6921

Back as the Superliner 2 cars were coming online, I read in Trains magazine that Amtrak's initial plan on converting the Capitol Limited to Superliners would have resulted in the train having Superliner sleepers and a diner, but single level coaches and a lounge. Did that ever happen or did the train go from single level equipment straight to full Superliner equipment.

I remember in 1995, my family took the Auto Train, the sleepers were Superliner 2s, but the coaches were single level cars. Did something similar happen with the Capitol?
  by Amtk30

I seem to recall that equipment for the Capitol Ltd changed to total Superliners around mid-1996. I do not recall any mixed single level-Superliner consists for 29-30. I could be wrong, though.

Amtk30
  by Tadman

I do not recall such mixed consists, either. At the time I lived on-line and saw the train pass quite frequently.
  by Patrick Boylan

Did you ever see them pass more frequently than once a day in each direction? :)
  by ThirdRail7

Amtk30 wrote:I seem to recall that equipment for the Capitol Ltd changed to total Superliners around mid-1996. I do not recall any mixed single level-Superliner consists for 29-30. I could be wrong, though.

Amtk30

The Capital went over to the Superliner consist in 1994. It was a straight Superliner consist unless something went wrong. I do recall occasional single level equipment substitutions since the fleet wasn't up to full power.
  by jp1822

The Auto Train was sort of an order of cars unto itself. They had the specialty "Deluxe Sleepers" and eventually the converted Superliner I Diners that became lounge cars - although Sightseer Lounge cars were mixed in.

Course in the late 1990s, the Capitol Limited got a Superliner Trans/Dorm sleeper on the front and rear of the train so that the Three Rivers, which terminated at Pittsburgh at the time with sister train Pennsylvanian, could put through coaches on the rear of the Capitol Limited west of Pittsburgh.

That plan above is currently trying to get revived, like with two coaches, Amfleet Diner Lite (or Viewliner II Diner), and one of the new Viewliner II sleepers.....
  by Amtk30

<snip>-----------
Post by Amtk30 » Thu Jan 31, 2013 12:47 am
Amtk30 wrote:I seem to recall that equipment for the Capitol Ltd changed to total Superliners around mid-1996. I do not recall any mixed single level-Superliner consists for 29-30. I could be wrong, though.

Amtk30
--------------------------------
Post by ThirdRail7 » Thu Jan 31, 2013 5:45 pm
The Capital went over to the Superliner consist in 1994. It was a straight Superliner consist unless something went wrong. I do recall occasional single level equipment substitutions since the fleet wasn't up to full power.
<end of snip>---------------

Not sure if this would help Mr. Tom6921's original inquiry.

I was able to check some of my notes from 1994-96, and discovered two items since my earlier post :

I can verify #30 had a conventional heritage consist back on August, 1994,(well several amfleet coaches, dome coach, and heritage lounge-diner-sleepers). Perhaps an "exception" consist?

By May, 1996 Capitol Ltd #30 departing Chicago was combined #30 and #446 (3 Rivers). #30 was Superliner by then of course. #446 consisted of 2 amfleet II and 3 material express cars. I believe this arrangement lasted for a short time.

Sure wish the Three Rivers could be reincarnated somehow!

Amtk30
  by ThirdRail7

Amtk30 wrote: I can verify #30 had a conventional heritage consist back on August, 1994,(well several amfleet coaches, dome coach, and heritage lounge-diner-sleepers). Perhaps an "exception" consist?

Negative on the exception. That would be the normal consist on 8/94. I don't know why we didn't think of this before, but the Capitol changed over to Superliner equipment October 30, 1994. As previously mentioned, I do remember there were exceptions.