• Amtrak Capitol Limited Thread

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

by afiggatt

jstolberg wrote:
afiggatt wrote:Leaving the corridor trains aside, the totals I get for the 4 days for the arriving trains connecting to are:
#30 CL: 369 total, 4 SWC = 105, 6 CZ = 68, 8/28 EB = 76 (#8=44, #28=32), 22/422 TE = 39 (#22=26, #422=13), 58 CONO = 5
#48 LSL: 271 total, 4 SWC = 50, 6 CZ = 50, 8/28 EB = 60 (#8=23, #28=37), 22/422 TE = 42 (#22=32, #422=10), 58 CONO = 9
Before this thread gets locked again, I too want to thank Mr. Third Rail for giving us a peek at the data. Given all that I have heard from long-distance rail advocates, I am surprised at how little hub and spoke effect is happening at Chicago. Despite the fact that there are a large number of corridor trains into Chicago, the vast majority of passengers transferring to the CL and LSL are from other long-distance trains.

it seems passengers on Amtrak's long-distance network tend to stay on the long-distance network and passengers on the corridor trains tend to stay on the corridor trains.
I did not include the corridor trains because there were a number of them. Adding up all the corridor train connections in CHI to #30 and #49, if my math is correct, I get for the 4 days total:
#30 CL: 48 connecting from corridor trains (#338 Hiawatha the most common with 20 total); 20 connecting from #322 which is the TE St. Louis add-on - are those corridor or LD train passengers? Depends on how you look at it, I guess.
#49 LSL: 48 connecting from corridor trains (#340 Hiawatha the most common with 25 total).

So, the majority are connecting from the western LD trains, but not all. As the Lincoln service gets improvements and as new corridor services are added to the Chicago hub (Dubuque and Quad Cities), that should increase the corridor train passenger base for taking the CL, LSL, Cardinal to eastern destinations.
  by Paulus Magnus

jstolberg wrote:
afiggatt wrote:Leaving the corridor trains aside, the totals I get for the 4 days for the arriving trains connecting to are:
#30 CL: 369 total, 4 SWC = 105, 6 CZ = 68, 8/28 EB = 76 (#8=44, #28=32), 22/422 TE = 39 (#22=26, #422=13), 58 CONO = 5
#48 LSL: 271 total, 4 SWC = 50, 6 CZ = 50, 8/28 EB = 60 (#8=23, #28=37), 22/422 TE = 42 (#22=32, #422=10), 58 CONO = 9
Before this thread gets locked again, I too want to thank Mr. Third Rail for giving us a peek at the data. Given all that I have heard from long-distance rail advocates, I am surprised at how little hub and spoke effect is happening at Chicago. Despite the fact that there are a large number of corridor trains into Chicago, the vast majority of passengers transferring to the CL and LSL are from other long-distance trains.

it seems passengers on Amtrak's long-distance network tend to stay on the long-distance network and passengers on the corridor trains tend to stay on the corridor trains.
Might be a frequency or market issue. Amtrak's said before that 20% of their revenue on the Surfliner is from LD connecting passengers.
  by Station Aficionado

Nothing but a hunch--I'd bet the corridor train riders are generally not quite as time-insensitive as the typical LD passenger (although the Wolverine riders must be pretty time-insensitive); thus, the chronically late LDs may not be appealing. Also, I agree that Amtrak does not seem to market LD-corridor trains connections very much.
  by David Benton

Paulus Magnus wrote:
jstolberg wrote:

Might be a frequency or market issue. Amtrak's said before that 20% of their revenue on the Surfliner is from LD connecting passengers.
Would that include thruway service from the san Joqauins (sp)?
  by Paulus Magnus

One issue I just realized that may be a reason for poor numbers of connecting passengers from corridors is any automatic buffer on scheduling connecting trains. Going to Fullerton from New Orleans on the new schedule (was checking to see if it was rerouted), Amtrak only offers a 9:40am departure on the Surfliner despite a scheduled 5:35am arrival and 3 other Surfliners in the meanwhile. On the other hand, that might just be an element of screwiness in the system, it's the same train for the current 8:30am arrival
David Benton wrote:
Paulus Magnus wrote:
jstolberg wrote:

Would that include thruway service from the san Joqauins (sp)?
No. The presentation that the figure was given in (it's actually 19%) is page 8 here. Page 23 here reports the minimum number of San Joaquin connections (although not all are true connections, some are just bus tickets bought with a train connection with the intention of not taking it; Amtrak CA is not legally allowed to book just the bus between LA-Bakersfield). Comes out to an annual total of 34,672.

I do suspect that market is the major issue. LA, after all, has convenient rail connections to several million additional passengers on corridor service while Chicago doesn't to the same extent, to the best of my knowledge.
  by HillsideStation

Since recently switching from dial up to high speed internet connection I've found a whole new world of train watching, especially Amtrak. I pull up the Folkston GA cam, the Cresson PA, cam and the Peterson, IN cam. I can catch the Silver Service trains in the early morning in Folkston, the CL and LSL in Peterson later and finally the Pennslyvanian about 0930 in Cresson.

This morning the CL blew by with a strange consist. In the early light I was able to count four engines, followed by a string of low level cars, possibly a baggage car, maybe a couple of coaches, a cafe car and a Viewliner Sleeper followed by a number of Superliners, which are the normal consist of the CL. Any one have any ideas what I "thought" I saw?

Thanks,
Best regards,
Rodger
  by ThirdRail7

HillsideStation wrote:Since recently switching from dial up to high speed internet connection I've found a whole new world of train watching, especially Amtrak. I pull up the Folkston GA cam, the Cresson PA, cam and the Peterson, IN cam. I can catch the Silver Service trains in the early morning in Folkston, the CL and LSL in Peterson later and finally the Pennslyvanian about 0930 in Cresson.

This morning the CL blew by with a strange consist. In the early light I was able to count four engines, followed by a string of low level cars, possibly a baggage car, maybe a couple of coaches, a cafe car and a Viewliner Sleeper followed by a number of Superliners, which are the normal consist of the CL. Any one have any ideas what I "thought" I saw?

Thanks,
Best regards,
Rodger
You probably saw 29(22) which had the 40th Anniversary train on the head end.

40th Anniversary Train
http://www.railroad.net/forums/viewtopi ... 97&start=0
  by Gilbert B Norman

There was a previous report at its topic that the 40th Anniversary Train set was being handled on #29(21), However, traveling into town last evening, there was no sign of those cars at either 12th St or at CUS:

.http://www.railroad.net/forums/viewtopi ... 4#p1038985

Based upon Rodger's observation, it would appear (21) became (22)
  by Ocala Mike

Gil, be nice to Rodger. We came to find out through the internet that we were neighbors near Hillside, Queens more than 50 years ago, although we never met each other then. He uses "HillsideStation" as his nickname, while I was "formerly" Hillside Mike. Small world and all that.
  by hi55us

Ocala Mike wrote:Gil, be nice to Rodger. We came to find out through the internet that we were neighbors near Hillside, Queens more than 50 years ago, although we never met each other then. He uses "HillsideStation" as his nickname, while I was "formerly" Hillside Mike. Small world and all that.
Used to live in Hillside about 2 years ago =) Up on Homelawn St.
  by Ocala Mike

My old stomping grounds near the 179th St. IND station. Back to the Capital Limited Consist discussion.
  by Gilbert B Norman

Gents; Capitol (building), vice Capital ($$$$)
  by ThirdRail7

Unless something dramatic occurs, Train 30 will depart CHI at 7:10pm (an hour later) and is scheduled to arrive in WAS at 3:10p (two hours and thirty minutes later) until mid-August.

It will be interesting to see how this all works out. Rush hour in the terminal is tough enough without two Superliner consists hogging valuable real estate.
  by jstolberg

ThirdRail7 wrote:Unless something dramatic occurs, Train 30 will depart CHI at 7:10pm (an hour later) and is scheduled to arrive in WAS at 3:10p (two hours and thirty minutes later) until mid-August.

It will be interesting to see how this all works out. Rush hour in the terminal is tough enough without two Superliner consists hogging valuable real estate.
Arriving at 3:10 pm and need to be clear of the platform by rush hour? Looks like those passengers arriving from Chicago are going to have to do the hustle.
  by tomfuller

ThirdRail7 wrote:Unless something dramatic occurs, Train 30 will depart CHI at 7:10pm (an hour later) and is scheduled to arrive in WAS at 3:10p (two hours and thirty minutes later) until mid-August.

Why not have the train leave CHI at the usual time? It arrives in PGH an hour later than normal and then sits there for 45 minutes so the delay must be between PGH and WAS.
I guess it is better than the bus service they had last year out of Pittsburgh.