• Amtrak ACS-64 Sprinter Discussion

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

by ApproachMedium

You never know with these darn things anymore.. Too much software junk.
  by 8th Notch

Jeff Smith wrote:That's alarming (nyuk nyuk nyuk). In all seriousness, don't they have a feature to acknowledge AND silence the alarm?
The fact that an alarm was going off over the PA sounds like something funky in the first place, the only place an alarm should be present is in the locomotive or cab car (in this case).
  by ApproachMedium

I am sure it has something to do with something they "fixed" in the software that broke somewhere else.
  by MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

Test Xtra with the 650 and 3 amfleets thru Sharon, MA @ 4:47p Look for the return WB trip to follow #2159-24 out of Boston 9/24
  by Gilbert B Norman

#660 is in consist of #6 (3).

If they are being delivered in road # order, then nine to go.

One must wonder how many AEM-7's remain out there?

Of course, lest we forget, one ACS remains mortality wounded and from the reports around here by those in the know, they are proving to be a might less reliable than expected.
  by ThirdRail7

Gilbert B Norman wrote: One must wonder how many AEM-7's remain out there?
There are 15 Amtrak "remans" left in service. The lowest number unit is the 908.
  by ApproachMedium

Gilbert B Norman wrote:
Of course, lest we forget, one ACS remains mortality wounded and from the reports around here by those in the know, they are proving to be a might less reliable than expected.
If anyones been passing by wilmington shops you might notice the 629 still has been tied up there since the event in Rhode island.

There are still issues with these with ACSES and with operating in push mode with control cars. Digital computers do not like ye olde analog electronics trying to tell them what to do.
  by ACeInTheHole

Regarding 652 I heard something to the effect that it will not be doing ifs Boston test tomorrow
  by chuchubob

652 went from Penn Coach Yard to ZOO where it wyed, then followed train 643 to Harrisburg in push mode on Tuesday. It returned to Philly behind train 650.
  by Matt Johnson

Will the Charger diesel locomotives be produced concurrently in the Sacramento facility? I figured they might change out the tooling after the Amtrak order is complete, but with SEPTA placing an order for 64s I guess they'll be in production a bit longer. I'll be curious to see if Amtrak orders a replacement for 601 while the line is still open, or just live with a fleet of 69 rather than the planned 70 locomotives.
  by Gilbert B Norman

Regarding 629, anyone knowledgeable know if this unit (Kingston) been released by the "legal beagles" and/or NTSB for disposition?

Somehow, I'd think that unit is reparable, but then I should defer to our Mechanical types around here. But of course I cannot forget how quickly the New Haven "had an excuse" called Jenkins Curve to chop up 363. Of course, the "revolving door" of top management had "revolved" with "pro-electric" Dumaine and consorts "bounced" and replaced by the McGinnis gang who loved diesels (and gaudy liveries).

Obviously, it is simply too early to have any kind of decision regarding 601.
  by ApproachMedium

601 is still shrink wrapped in Wilmington shops. The 629 has a lot of side/undercarrage damage and has quite a few exterior parts removed including all of the door locks/latches. I am not sure if they have been parting it out or if broken items were removed for insurance purposes.
  by Matt Johnson

So, perhaps a fleet of 68 rather than the planned 70. Bad luck to be sure.
  by Gilbert B Norman

While I had best defer to our "Mechanical Types" around here, it would seem that frame damage is the "killer" for any equipment unit the owners of such would like to have remain in service.

The New Haven did not want EP-4 363 around; the PRR wanted 4876 returned after the 1953 Inaugural Crash. So one must wonder if the controlling parties, whoever such may be, want 601 returned.