• Amtrak ACS-64 Sprinter Discussion

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

by rr503

srock1028 wrote:
rr503 wrote:
srock1028 wrote:
rr503 wrote:2 of them (i think 608+614) just arrived with what I believe is the Vermonter on track 11
That would be the disabled A130 (28).
What happened to it?
Stalled?
I don't know yet, may have an answer around 2:00.
Ok
Thanks
Why is it called a130?
  by ACeInTheHole

Heard something along the lines of the speedometer froze up in Newark, then it went and died in the Penn Station Tunnel. No idea if theyre related
  by srock1028

rr503 wrote: Ok
Thanks
Why is it called a130?
A-> for Amtrak. 130-> train number. (28)->day of operation.
NJ-> for NJ Transit. 2602 -> train number. (28)-> day of operation.
  by rr503

srock1028 wrote:
rr503 wrote: Ok
Thanks
Why is it called a130?
A-> for Amtrak. 130-> train number. (28)->day of operation.
NJ-> for NJ Transit. 2602 -> train number. (28)-> day of operation.
I see
I got the 28, 130, but I somehow didn't get the a part
My bad
  by ns3010

645 +3 was west out of Boston shortly before 9:30 this morning.
  by TWSP Rail Adviser

Saw no less than 5 ACS-64s in Sunnyside yard on Saturday night and one lonely Aem-7

The winds of change!
  by Dookie

Anything new going on with the ACS fleet? Haven't heard much lately. Assuming no news is good news
  by afiggatt

Dookie wrote:Anything new going on with the ACS fleet? Haven't heard much lately. Assuming no news is good news
Units #656 and #655 are being moved east.. CZ #6(8/30) delivered #656 to CHI on Tuesday, so #656 could be moving east tonight on CL #30. Once #655 and #656 have been delivered to the NEC, that will leave 13 remaining ACS-64s to be completed and shipped from the 70 car order.
  by Gilbert B Norman

HOONOZ when Amtrak will see 601 again. With only 15 units remaining, they had get with the program if there is a need for 70 units. Losing a unit of any equipment is factored into any equipment order; not sure if that means while the delivery is in progress.
  by ngotwalt

Well one of them just broke down on 666. I don't know which one, but we've been without electricity for about five minutes and it's getting hot.

We made it to Parksburg and we lost power again.

Had to change trains in Philly, using a spare Keystone consist with an AEM-7. 621 was the troublemaker.

Nick
  by ApproachMedium

Yesterday 664 broke down too and then got back up near elizabeth. ACS64+ cab cars seems to be a problem!
  by ngotwalt

That sound the PA makes when an ACS-64 looses its mind is new, and a little alarming. Several passengers were very worried by it, including the idiot blonde across the aisle from me who refused to move her bags of an adjacent seat despite numerous requests to do so.
Nick
  by ApproachMedium

ngotwalt wrote:That sound the PA makes when an ACS-64 looses its mind is new, and a little alarming. Several passengers were very worried by it, including the idiot blonde across the aisle from me who refused to move her bags of an adjacent seat despite numerous requests to do so.
Nick
What are you talking about?
  by ngotwalt

Both times When we lost power, a loud alarm like tone could be heard over the PA. Several passengers I talked to had heard it before, and I was talking conductors and they said it was only happening with ACS-64s and they really didn't know why. In 30 years I had never heard it before, yesterday I heard it twice. It's a solid tone that came across the PA both times we lost power.
Cheers,
Nick
  by Jeff Smith

That's alarming (nyuk nyuk nyuk). In all seriousness, don't they have a feature to acknowledge AND silence the alarm?