• Amherst Show Wrap Up

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

by dcm74

Who went and what did you do while there? Any special high points or low points?

by gprimr1

People need to remember to bath before going and some merchants need more space to allow people to browse.

Other than that, A++. Lots of merchants taking credit cards to. I was happy to see that.

by 3rdrail

As always, not to be missed. It's getting really really crowded. I wonder if there is any chance of opening up another building ? Is there another building ? I was sorry to see that the MTH booth had really shrunk in size from previous years. I didn't see some of the regulars in previous years, and heard a few comments from the crowd that the vendors were dwindling. I hope that it's not true. I've seen that happen lately at a large railway collectible show held annually and I hope its not a trend.

by wog820

First time I went there and didn't buy anything :( Eventhough they take credit cards, I like to deal with cash :-D Too bad all the ATM's were out of Mula, that stunk :( Had a good time though,saw some friends, didn't bump into anyone on here I don't think. I was there on sunday with girlfriend and the five kids we were hanging around the Hobo RR table for a while then we shot out to Palmer before heading home :-D caught two westbounds (CSX) :P then headed for home :(

by Guilford Guy

I went there and saw Gary but kept quiet. Also went to Palmer on sunday although in the 630+time frame. NECR went over the diamond north and a CSX eastbound then some more NECR action before we left.

by Otto Vondrak

I was with my friends from RIT and we did more gabbing with vendors instead of browsing and shopping. The chase over Hoosac on the B&M Was worth it, though.

-otto-

by dcm74

3rdrail wrote:It's getting really really crowded. I wonder if there is any chance of opening up another building ? Is there another building ? I was sorry to see that the MTH booth had really shrunk in size from previous years..
MTH had exactly the same amount of table space as they had for the past several years. Possibly they brought less product?
There is another building but it currently has an air conditioning problem-the cold air comes in around all the doors during the winter.

by 3rdrail

It must have been an inventory issue then. I remember in past years that they had all sorts of cars on display, and usually a nice working set-up as well. I was looking for the NYC MTA Work Diesel that they put out, which I guess, is now nowhere to be found.

by w.r.branch

We found there's more interest in Palmer, MA than we first thought. We have a huge list of folks reserving their copy of One Town and Seven Railroads, that will be available in late spring. They will be the first to be notified when it's ready. This book will be the first all-time history of Palmer's Railroads with at least 11 chapters explaining many mysteries and filled with interesting stories. Thanks to all who visited our table at the Amherst Railway Society Reception Center! Your next opportunity to reserve a copy will be coming soon. Or, you can stop by the Palmer Public Library for all the details, and to reserve without obligation! We have not set the price yet but want to keep it easily affordable.

Several asked about the maps we displayed. We showed two: One is an older atlas page on our display panels and the other is a sample page from our upcoming book which is a composite of old and new eras. Those showing an interest in maps asked about availability. The second will be ONLY available in the book along with at least five insets of prime railroad areas of interest in the town. We are considering reproducing this as an enlarged version at a later date with all the details!

by thomas81z

my father inlaw and my son and i have been going every year for 10 years and i have learned only go on sun cause sat is shoulder to shoulder, but this year was nice :-)

by NellsChoo

We found it waaaay too busy for us. Managed to squeeze into all three buildings this time, but couldn't even reach the tables that interested us! Never got to look at merchandise and buy anything... Way too many people to allow enjoyment... Some layouts were nifty, but it was hard to pay attention...

Maybe they should make it a three day show, with day 1 on a Friday? That way the crowd could be thinned a bit. Don't know... tons of stuff, and lots of people, that means the hobby is healthy... but I would like to have bought SOMETHING! :(

I guess I'll wait and go to the Wilmington show to buy. For now, I have my Operation Lifesaver pen...

by dcm74

NellsChoo wrote:We found it waaaay too busy for us. Managed to squeeze into all three buildings this time, but couldn't even reach the tables that interested us! Never got to look at merchandise and buy anything... Way too many people to allow enjoyment... Some layouts were nifty, but it was hard to pay attention...

Maybe they should make it a three day show, with day 1 on a Friday? That way the crowd could be thinned a bit. Don't know... tons of stuff, and lots of people, that means the hobby is healthy... but I would like to have bought SOMETHING! :(

I guess I'll wait and go to the Wilmington show to buy. For now, I have my Operation Lifesaver pen...
Depends on which day you went. Sunday is normally a lot less frantic than Saturday, more of a family day. You can also check the vendor list on the Amherst website and just visit the dealers you are most interested in. As an alternative you could stay over and spend two days at the show..

by NellsChoo

Had to go Saturday as my boyfriend works Sundays. I did make a list of vendors... even printed out the map! Just didn't work out... Oh well...

by Guilford Guy

anyone notice the Youth in Model Railroading Layout, I was hiding over there :P :-D :-) :wink:

by superwarp1

Can't wait to see what the totals are for the show. Both days were packed, Sat being tops.