• Amherst Show Wrap Up

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

by dcm74

3rdrail wrote:So, once again, as the show's organizer and promoter, what were the limits ?
I'm not the show's organizer and I don't have copies of the permit. You could check with the City Clerk's office in West Springfield if you really needed the information.

by 3rdrail

ok

by superwarp1

What is the waiting time to get a table at the show? I know alot of people who would like to get a table and call or write for information but never get a response. Second has Lionel ask for a table/booth in the past few years?

by dcm74

superwarp1 wrote:What is the waiting time to get a table at the show? I know alot of people who would like to get a table and call or write for information but never get a response. Second has Lionel ask for a table/booth in the past few years?
There is a Show Committee that selects new vendors from the waiting list.
The time on the list can vary as the committee tries to pick out a variety of vendors rather than everyone with the same product. You can refer further questions about the waiting list to: [email protected]
Lionel has exhibited in the past but to the best of my knowledge chose not to renew their contract.
  by CVRA7

Back for the 22nd time, and enjoyed it as usual. Crowded? Yes, and glad it was as this means that the hobby is alive and well. Can't see the tables? Have patience, I never failed to reach a good view but sometimes I had to wait. Keep the crowds coming, and I agree with Otto that preservation grants are a real good thing. (good seeing you there, Otto!) For those that can not deal with crowds, Sunday AM is best as has often been stated.
This year I heard there was a well deserved tribute to Bob Buck, who had been the show chairman for many years. I understand Bob was primarily responsible for taking the show from a one-room event at UMass up to what it is today.
Some vendors did get moved around a bit, and this wasn't always appreciated. We were told it was do to make space utilization more efficient. The Big E management calls the shots and as DCM said expenses are always going up. One year the Big E people suddenly imposed a parking fee and the Amherst Ry Society had to eat the costs.
It would be nice if there was some competition for the location of the show but I can't think over any other venue that would offer as much space.
Congratulations to the Amherst Ry Society for another fine show, from one who is both a vendor and a visitor.

by gprimr1

I really liked buying my ticket in advance through the mail. I would like to buy my parking voucher as well throught the mail. I'm sure this could be worked out.

by Guilford Guy

well next year I guess we will all have o bring stilts :-D :-) :P :wink:

by w.r.branch

Let's face the facts---the Amherst Show is so popular that the crowds come, buy their ticket, and come in. It's not just for rail enthusiasts, but for potential enthusiasts including those in baby strollers who keep the marketing cycle going and manufacturers providing. I don't know why anyone is debating the crowding issue or quoting a Chapter 140 law that says nothing about building capacity, a relative factor considering a formula based on square footage the show organizers have little to do with. That's just the way it is. We can't have it all.

Every one of 20,000+ attendees there paid the admission to see and enjoy. Bear in mind all weren't ALL there at the same time! Every attendee also deserved the right to stand close to displays and then move on for the next person to see and enjoy. Everyone patiently takes their turn. In over 20+ years of my own attendance, I've gotten used to it and found numerous opportunities to find the times where I can look, browse, and buy at my leisure.

The organizers have gone above and beyond by increasing aisle space and through that limiting some vendors who are on a VERY long waiting list. Forget about having a fourth building unless A--you are willing to help staff it and be "paid" with a free admission you "might" take advantage of to actually see the show, or B--put up with a walk of about a quarter of a mile to the next available building. I can hear those complaints now! I seriously doubt if any exhibitor would want to, or could endure staffing or conducting a 3-day show. Most exhibitors rarely get to enjoy a good walk around. For an $8 admission price plus the $5 charged by the BigE for parking, this show is a bargain compared to other shows held there, and it's the biggest two-day show that happens only once each year. Just be glad it happens. Better yet, get the opinions of all the people who might finally get all their displays packed and on the road home about 9 PM on Sunday, long after you went home and the show closed.