• Alvin F. Staufer 1925-2013

• Discussion relating to the NYC and subsidiaries, up to 1968. Visit the NYCS Historical Society for more information.
Discussion relating to the NYC and subsidiaries, up to 1968. Visit the NYCS Historical Society for more information.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

by charlie6017

For those who aren't aware, we lost a true historian and wonderful person who authored numerous books,
including a number on the power of the New York Central. Mr. Staufer passed away on October 30, 2013. May
Mr. Staufer Rest In Peace.

Courtesy of the New York Central System Yahoo group that I belong to:
As many of you know, Alvin Staufer, author of many NYC books died late last month. His obituary, published 6 November in The Plain Dealer (Cleveland) follows:

ALVIN STAUFER, 88, of Medina, passed away peacefully on Wednesday, October 30, 2013 surrounded by loved ones. Born on May 27, 1925, Alvin proudly served his county in the U.S. Navy during WWII. Survived by his wife Marjorie; children Craig (Kathy), Jill, Joan and Eric (Debbie) Staufer; ten grandchildren; six great-grandchildren; and brother Richard (Vivian) Staufer. Family will receive friends for a Memorial Visitation on Friday, November 8, 2013 from 4-8pm at Waite and Son Funeral Home (3300 Center Road, Brunswick 44212). A Memorial Service will be held on Saturday at 11am at the funeral home. In lieu of flowers, contributions may be made in Alvin's memory to the Ohio Veterans Home Hospice (3416 Columbus Avenue, Sandusky 44870). Online condolences may be left at http://www.waitefuneralhome.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.

Very truly yours,

John L. Hodson, USMC
  by Allen Hazen

His "Pennsy Power" (courtesy of the Carnegie Public Library in Pittsburgh) was one of the first locomotive books I read when I was first getting seriously interested in railroads: given how much enjoyment I have derived from railroad history in the years since... I owe a lot to him.
Rest in peace.
  by Tommy Meehan

I agree, he played quite a role in getting me hyper-interested in what were the departed roads of my childhood -NY Central, Erie Lackawanna and Jersey Central. I had the various "Power" books of all three.

A lot of good people have passed away recently and Alvin Staufer was definitely one of them.
  by scottychaos

I have "B&O Power", "Erie Power", "Pennsy Power" and the two New York Central "power" books..
they are great books! among my favorite books ever..
you wont find better collections of photos in one place, anywhere..

Thank you Mr. Staufer for giving us all such fabulous books about our favorite railroads.
You added a lot to our hobby, and you will be missed..

Scot