• ALP45DP Main Alternator and Traction Motor with Axlegearings

• Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.
Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

by Nasadowsk

Nennleistung: 1708kva

Let's see:
2x 1708 = 3416 kva
- 1000 kva HEP
= 2416 kva

Assume 90% inverter efficiency:
2175 kva

So, with both engines, about 3000 HP for traction?

Anyone wanna place bets on how well MMC can keep two engines going?

(what a dog they'll be on one!)
  by DutchRailnut

According this Bombardier PDF the total power is 2500 in diesel ( but with about 80Kw going to each car on HEP).
http://www.bombardier.com/files/en/supp ... Hybrid.pdf

intersting part on tm/gear is it seems some kind of quill drive(sp)
  by keyboardkat

by DutchRailnut

put on your big girl panties and figure it out ??
  by Amtrak7

Is the ALP45DP supposed to be like the Genesis, only run on electric where needed? Or will it run on electric whenever it's available?
  by DutchRailnut

electric is higher horse power so what do you think ??
4000 Kw vs 2500 Kw hmmmm
  by Fan Railer

Amtrak7 wrote:Is the ALP45DP supposed to be like the Genesis, only run on electric where needed? Or will it run on electric whenever it's available?
if you read bombadier's article on the MITRAC dual mode system, it is designed to maximize fuel costs by running on electric where available. my question is what is the continuous rating of the traction motors... and if they really are interchangable with the ALP-46A's...
  by Jtgshu

Fan Railer wrote:
Amtrak7 wrote:Is the ALP45DP supposed to be like the Genesis, only run on electric where needed? Or will it run on electric whenever it's available?
if you read bombadier's article on the MITRAC dual mode system, it is designed to maximize fuel costs by running on electric where available. my question is what is the continuous rating of the traction motors... and if they really are interchangable with the ALP-46A's...
They look very similar to the units on the '46As, (and the '46s) but i dunno if they are identical - it would be nice if they were for part interchangability....
  by bengt

Jawohl! But furn toes of us who do not haben to shprechen Deutsch, perhaps subtitles would be in order?[/quote]

The subtitels are in swedish, not german. Pics are intended for the swedish Postvagnen but I thougt it was interesting to see here also with subtitels in swedish.

http://www.postvagnen.com/forum/
  by Jersey_Mike

Are these better than just re-furbishing the ALP-44's and running trains ACES style? That's probably the most reliable dual mode system I can think of :-D
  by NorEasterNick

Jersey_Mike wrote:Are these better than just re-furbishing the ALP-44's and running trains ACES style? That's probably the most reliable dual mode system I can think of :-D
One big problem with that scenario is that NJT would need more P40's to be used on such trains as they are the only engines that fit in the North River Tunnels. Would be nice and it may have actually been cheaper refurbing the ALP44's and buying more P40's and relying on a proven design rather than starting from scratch.
  by Nasadowsk

DutchRailnut wrote: intersting part on tm/gear is it seems some kind of quill drive(sp)
Yes, I think it's basically the 46's design.
  by Jersey_Mike

It's nice to see Bombardier decided to keep consistent with the ALP brand, alluding to the area in which the locomotives were designed in and other connotations of strength. Having to remember it was the ADP-45 (or whatever it first was) to avoid being nit-picked was annoying.

Back to the issue at hand all bets down as to which part fails first and is removed for the final 2-3 decades of the engine's life. I'm betting those CAT diesels crap out and with increasing electrification they are removed to turn the engines into straight electrics.
  by cruiser939

NorEasterNick wrote:
Jersey_Mike wrote:Are these better than just re-furbishing the ALP-44's and running trains ACES style? That's probably the most reliable dual mode system I can think of :-D
One big problem with that scenario is that NJT would need more P40's to be used on such trains as they are the only engines that fit in the North River Tunnels. Would be nice and it may have actually been cheaper refurbing the ALP44's and buying more P40's and relying on a proven design rather than starting from scratch.
Not to mention having to change ends of the train in order to switch from electric to diesel and back, and then having to walk back to the operating end to continue proceeding to the intended destination.