• ALP45DP Main Alternator and Traction Motor with Axlegearings

• Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.
Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

by Jersey_Mike

Not to mention having to change ends of the train in order to switch from electric to diesel and back, and then having to walk back to the operating end to continue proceeding to the intended destination.
You could couple the units back to back on head end and make the change at a station stop.
  by cruiser939

Jersey_Mike wrote:
Not to mention having to change ends of the train in order to switch from electric to diesel and back, and then having to walk back to the operating end to continue proceeding to the intended destination.
You could couple the units back to back on head end and make the change at a station stop.
You could... but then what about when the train was operating in push mode? You'd still have to exit the cab, walk the length of the consist, change power, and walk back in order to proceed.
  by amtrakowitz

bengt wrote:The subtitles are in swedish, not german. Pics are intended for the swedish Postvagnen but I thougt it was interesting to see here also with subtitels in swedish.

http://www.postvagnen.com/forum/
Yes, but the first page is in German. I gave translating it a shot.
Generator for the ALP45DP Locomotive

Brief description
  • The generator is used in the ALP45DP Dual Power Locomotive.
  • The generator converts the mechanical energy produced by the diesel engine into electrical energy, which is then channeled through the inverter to the traction motors.
Technical Data
  • Generator name: 6EMA7858
  • Rated power: 1708 kVa
  • Rated voltage: 2180 V
  • Rated speed: 1800 rpm
  • Maximum speed: 2124 rpm
  • Mass: 2505 kg (5523 lb)
Delivery (production?)
  • Customer: Bombardier Transport Division Locomotives and Equipment
  • Final customer: New Jersey (Transit)
  • Scope of delivery: 92 pieces
  • Time of delivery: since 2010
  by Jtgshu

I tihnk that 92 units might be a little premature....especially with the tunnel "discussions" going on right now.............
  by blockline4180

Jtgshu wrote:I tihnk that 92 units might be a little premature....especially with the tunnel "discussions" going on right now.............

Well, I have no idea where they get "92 pieces" from

Wikipedia says: Total production 36 on order with 53 options (NJT)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ALP-45DP
  by blockline4180

DutchRailnut wrote:two diesels in each locomotive and 46 units on order ?? you were no star in math I guess.

http://www.bombardier.com/files/en/supp ... Hybrid.pdf

No, I wasn't! You are right, but thanks for pointing that out einstein!! :P
  by amtrakowitz

Jtgshu wrote:I tihnk that 92 units might be a little premature....especially with the tunnel "discussions" going on right now.............
Ah well. A nice new toy for Amtrak to try out, who can then run dual-power trains to Harrisburg via Allentown and Reading, perhaps reopen an existing rail route to Scranton, and of course run the "alternate" route to Washington DC via the former "Royal Blue" (Lehigh Valley/Reading/B&O) as a different kind of "Regional" :wink:
  by Kaback9

amtrakowitz wrote:
Ah well. A nice new toy for Amtrak to try out, who can then run dual-power trains to Harrisburg via Allentown and Reading, perhaps reopen an existing rail route to Scranton, and of course run the "alternate" route to Washington DC via the former "Royal Blue" (Lehigh Valley/Reading/B&O) as a different kind of "Regional" :wink:
The Royal Blue ran via CNJ not Lehigh Valley.
  by amtrakowitz

Kaback9 wrote:The Royal Blue ran via CNJ not Lehigh Valley.
IIRC, when the B&O ran into New York Penn Station between 1918 and 1926, the route was via the Lehigh Valley and not the CNJ. Besides, my suggestion was rather tongue-in-cheek due to the unlikelihood of the (re)institution of such a service.
  by Kaback9

amtrakowitz wrote:
Kaback9 wrote:The Royal Blue ran via CNJ not Lehigh Valley.
IIRC, when the B&O ran into New York Penn Station between 1918 and 1926, the route was via the Lehigh Valley and not the CNJ. Besides, my suggestion was rather tongue-in-cheek due to the unlikelihood of the (re)institution of such a service.
Very true, it joined the Valley at Bound Brook.
  by Taborite

jimzim66 wrote:Last I checked, the FAULT RESET button was going to be used on the cab cars in order to change power modes.
Here's hoping the cabs are faultless :P
  by ApproachMedium

Taborite wrote:
jimzim66 wrote:Last I checked, the FAULT RESET button was going to be used on the cab cars in order to change power modes.
Here's hoping the cabs are faultless :P

Fault reset button is a trainline reset, it resets faults on the loco that would normally be able to be reset in the cab of the loco. Usually found in modern computer controlled locos or any electric loco.
  by keyboardkat

DutchRailnut wrote:put on your big girl panties and figure it out ??
Big girl panties??!! I was never a cross-dresser :-D