• All Things WMATA 7000 Series

• Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.
Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.

Moderators: mtuandrew, therock, Robert Paniagua

by JDC

MCxClive wrote:Wondering if anyone knows how many active 7k trains there are on each line during rush hour? Based on there being 200 railcars in active status now, this would mean WMATA can run up to 20 7k trains at a time (after factoring in the 20 percent spare ratio). Anyone have any idea what the line distribution of these 20 trains is?
Metro hero tracks both 8-car trains and which ones of those are 7000 series. https://www.dcmetrohero.com/
  by MCxClive

That's not entirely true. While MetroHero does track 8-car trains, it can only indicate whether an 8-car train is a 7k if a user self-reports it. A majority of the time when I see a 7k pull into the station, it has not been identified as such in the MetroHero app.
  by JDC

Yes, that is true. So that is a caveat to what I said.
  by JDC

Just saw car 7200 on the green line
  by JDC

Revenue. Last car in an 8-car train headed to Branch Ave. I was at Navy Yard. I didn't catch whether the car before it was higher numbered.
  by Sand Box John

"JDC"

Just saw car 7200 on the green line

Revenue. Last car in an 8-car train headed to Branch Ave. I was at Navy Yard. I didn't catch whether the car before it was higher numbered.

The mate for 7200 is 7201, just like the mate for 7000 is 7001.
  by JDC

Sand Box John wrote:
The mate for 7200 is 7201, just like the mate for 7000 is 7001.
In that case, we're making good progress on both the Silver Line phase 1 complement and then hitting 300 cars to replace the entire 1000-series fleet.
  by realtype

8-car trains on the Red Line are all 7K or near to it, so that line is pretty much at saturation level. I haven't seen a "legacy" series 8-car train in weeks. It looks like the Green Line has quite a few as well.
  by JDC

It's funny you mention that. I was on such a string of always catching 7k trains on Green Line, and now it's been a month or two and I have not caught one. I was actually just on the Red line, and I caught an 8-car train that was not 7k series either. Oh well.
  by Sand Box John

"JDC"
In that case, we're making good progress on both the Silver Line phase 1 complement and then hitting 300 cars to replace the entire 1000-series fleet.

128 is the number for both phases of the Silver line. We got that and some, still a long way to go before taking delivery of the all of Option 4 (1k car replacement).
  by Chris Brown

realtype wrote:8-car trains on the Red Line are all 7K or near to it, so that line is pretty much at saturation level. I haven't seen a "legacy" series 8-car train in weeks. It looks like the Green Line has quite a few as well.
I saw an 8-car train on the Red line today that was not 7k. But the 7k's are extremely common on the red line now. I catch them all the time without even trying.

At the current rate there will be another 192 7k cars delivered by this time next year. Now that all the bugs seem to be worked out and the cars are coming in droves, I wonder if 16 cars a month will be peak production forever or if they will eventually start producing them faster. The manufacturer is still way behind schedule and I know WMATA was putting pressure on them earlier this year. Hopefully, that pressure didn't compromise quality control like with the 5k's.
  by DiscoveryAnalysis

Sand Box John wrote:"JDC"

128 is the number for both phases of the Silver line. We got that and some, still a long way to go before taking delivery of the all of Option 4 (1k car replacement).
64 was the base order for SV Phase 1 then next option was the 300 to replace the Rhors so if we're at 200 that means 136 for Rhor replacement (45%)
  by DiscoveryAnalysis

Anyone have any idea why the 7Ks can't make yard platform stops?