• ALL THINGS HURRICANE MATTHEW

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

by Miss Chief

Mod Note: The various threads pertaining to the hurricane and its potential effects on Amtrak service have been merged into this singular topic.

Hurricane Matthew, a category 4 hurricane at the moment, is predicted to affect many southeast US states. For those of you familiar with these routes, does it look like the Silvers, Palmetto and Carolinian will be affected by this hurricane if this latest tracking is accurate?

by AC4619

Considering the routing of the aforementioned routes is along E. Coast Florida, and current models indicate sustained tropical storm or low-end hurricane force winds along the E. Coast of Florida, yes. As was mentioned in a recent NJT forum post, trains don't do well going through deep water, for myriad of reasons. Wind is arguably less of a concern--at least as far as the train itself (many many tons) is concerned. Barring a tornado, you won't see a derailment per sé, but, you could see track damage, bridge damage, and running through deep water is bad for the machinery under the engine & coaches.
  by Gilbert B Norman

I was planning an auto trip first to Fredericksburg arriving Saturday and going wining with a dear friend on Sunday, then up the Corridor (I'm sure when I'd be going over George and moving with luck 5mph, I'll wish I was aboard Amtrak) to my Sister in Greenwich.

But obviously Matthew has other ideas about the trip. Likely absent the faint hope Matt will blow out to sea, this will be a scrub. I hope not too many others will have plans disrupted.
  by Noel Weaver

The actual path is still questionable, I just watched the local weather (NOT ON THE WEATHER CHANNEL WHICH IS TERRIBLE) and they still don't know exactly what is going to happen. At present all of Broward County (Fort Lauderdale area) is under a HURRICANE WATCH. I suspect Amtrak will not run down in these parts after tomorrow but I have not checked as yet. It is a good time to stay away from the east coast of the US and if you are already here just stay put where you are. I know sometimes the authorities go overboard but I also remember HURRICANE WILMA from 16 years ago and that was a terrible event here.
Noel Weaver
  by east point

Noel: It may be with the elevation of the Hialeah yard that Amtrak and Tri-Rail will move its equipment to higher locations. ? As well CSX and where can FEC store their equipment ?
Suspect that every flyable airplane will leave south Florida. Still non flyable aircraft at Hialeah airport ? Flew a few questionable ones out of there.
  by Gilbert B Norman

I have evenings in Detroit and Cleveland (concerts) Thursday and Friday respectively and those are not at Issue.

For the rest of the trip, Fredericksburg two nites, Greenwich same, I must make a go/no decision by Friday as major brand hotels all want 24 hour CX notice instead of 6P night of arrival. Hey gang, the Recession is over and they can get away with it.

Even if things end up by Saturday as just a big blow, I will be less than happy about my auto sitting outside in a hotel parking lot when who knows what object could whack it.

We shall see.
  by Gilbert B Norman

A review of the website a few moments ago, shows departures of 91, Silver Star, and 97, Silver Meteor, as sold out Oct 5 and 6. 53, Auto Train, on both those dates shows "problem with availability".

So, even if there are no formal Service Alerts presently at the site, it would appear that Amtrak is hunkering down.

As for myself and my upcoming auto trip into the hurricane zone (Fredericksburg is expecting a Cat 2), why I haven't formally called it off by CX-ing my hotel reservations in both Fredericksburg and Greenwich, I know not. Perhaps it is a Weather Channel map this morning that shows it blowing out to sea after touching Hatteras.

I think it's folly to even think about the trip.
  by mtuandrew

Mr. Norman: hoping that the big blow turns out to sea somewhere east of Cuba, personally. One of my coworkers moved up here a couple years ago, but still owns a condo in Daytona - I feel terrible for her and hope that Florida (or the rest of CONUS) doesn't feel much effect.

Piedmont 74 and 75 were already canceled Monday Oct. 10 on account of maintenance, but are otherwise running as scheduled. No apparent effect to Hampton Roads service as of yet, though I'd be unsurprised to see it curtailed to Richmond or Washington.
  by Noel Weaver

I just check Amtrrak's web site and still nothing about service to and from Florida for Thursday and Friday but I think it is a given that they will not operate at least not in these parts. Tri-Rail has announced that they will not operate any trains either Thursday or Friday and with no Tri-Rail trains operating and the line shut down Amtrak will not go anywhere either. As another announcement, the Florida East Coast will not operate any trains after today, Wednesday, either and all crews will swap as necessary to get them to their home terminals whether they be Jacksonville, Fort Lauderdale or Miami. Morale of the story, if you do not have to travel to the eastern seaboard, don't do it. Biggest problem is that this is a major intense storm and it is relatively flat around here so it will probably maintain its strength. Be safe, stay where you are.
Noel Weaver
  by Gilbert B Norman

As the map posted by Mr. Denver when originating this topic shows, it appears that Matthew will touch Hatteras and then will dog leg his way out to sea.

I am now confident, as are my hosts in Fredericksburg, leaving here at High Noon tomorrow with overnight stops in Detroit and Cleveland, to arrive Fredericksburg Sat afternoon without weather incident.

We shall see.
  by Station Aficionado

Latest NOAA storm track shows Matthew making a U-turn and heading back southeast after reaching approx. the SC/NC border.
  by Nicholas Chen

Amtrak has made a service alert now.

Amtrak Suspends Service in the Southeast Region
The Silver Star 91 & 92 (New York City - Miami), Silver Meteor 97 & 98 (Miami - New York City), and the Auto Train 52 & 53 (Lorton, Va., - Sanford, Fla.) are cancelled for Thursday, Oct. 6, and Friday, Oct. 7. No alternate transportation will be provided.

The Palmetto 89 & 90 (New York City - Savannah, Ga.) will operate between New York City and Washington, D.C.
  by CharlieK

I flew into New Orleans for an EMS Conference on Tuesday. I've got a reservation for the trip back to NY on The Crescent leaving NOLA on Saturday morning. It doesn't look like the route is close to the coast until the Northeast Corridor. I wonder if the hurricane will have an effect on my trip.