• All Things Empire Builder

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

by Gilbert B Norman

Mr. Vincent, Fargo-Grand Forks-Minot 286 miles; Fargo-New Rockford-Minot 236 miles.

Nuf said?

Again let us note that via New Rockford was the Empire Builder route until The End. My earlier statement that it was also the route of the Western Star must be modified to the extent that after 7-8 Fast Mail was killed (somewhere after the 1967 Post Office massacre), Western Star was rerouted via Grand Forks.
  by AMTK1007

Vincent wrote:The flooding doesn't seem to have impacted the Builder's timekeeping. I travelled between Seattle and Portland on Sunday/Monday and all schedules for 7/8/27/28 were operating normally.
In the first few days of the detour 7&8 were loosing around 1 1/2 hours, but it seems to have dropped since then.

they are lookig for a 2nd crest sometime in April so 7&8 may be over there for a while...:

SPECIAL WEATHER STATEMENT
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE GRAND FORKS ND
423 PM CDT MON MAR 30 2009

...SECONDARY CREST LIKELY THROUGHOUT THE RED RIVER VALLEY...

DUE TO THE REMAINING SNOW COVER...FROZEN GROUND...AND AN
EXPERIMENTAL LONG RANGE WEATHER AND HYDROLOGIC OUTLOOK...THERE IS
STRONG CONFIDENCE THAT A SECONDARY FLOOD CREST WILL OCCUR IN THE
RED RIVER VALLEY IN THE MID APRIL TIME FRAME.

ICE IN THE FIELDS...COUPLED WITH NEW SNOW EXPECTED IN THE NEXT
COUPLE OF DAYS WILL EVENTUALLY MELT AND COMBINE WITH PRECIPITATION
FROM ANY FUTURE STORM SYSTEMS. A LARGE PERCENTAGE OF THIS WATER
WILL LIKELY BE ADDED INTO THE RED RIVER SYSTEM. AT FARGO...THERE
IS STRONG CONFIDENCE IN THE SECONDARY CREST EXCEEDING 37 FEET. AT
THE PRESENT TIME...THE BEST ESTIMATE OF A WORST CASE SCENARIO IS
BASED UPON ADDING TWO TO TWO AND ONE HALF INCHES OF ADDITIONAL
PRECIPITATION INTO THE RED RIVER BASIN. THIS COULD RESULT IN A
SECONDARY CREST AT FARGO CLIMBING BACK TO THE 40 TO 41 FOOT RANGE
SOME TIME IN MID APRIL.
  by vermontanan

Gilbert B Norman wrote:Mr. Vincent, Fargo-Grand Forks-Minot 286 miles; Fargo-New Rockford-Minot 236 miles.

Nuf said?

Again let us note that via New Rockford was the Empire Builder route until The End. My earlier statement that it was also the route of the Western Star must be modified to the extent that after 7-8 Fast Mail was killed (somewhere after the 1967 Post Office massacre), Western Star was rerouted via Grand Forks.
The variance in mileage between the detour route (via New Rockford) and the current route (via Devils Lake) is today only about 40 miles in favor of the New Rockford route. The 286 mile figure includes going into downtown Grand Forks and backing out to the junction west of the University of North Dakota, which today's Empire Builder doesn't do (the current station is at the wye). Also, the current detour route includes traversing the coal connection from the Fargo Amtrak station to West Fargo to re-enter the ex-NP main (for a westward train) and then to west of Casselton, then finally back onto the pre-Amtrak Empire Builder routing at Nolan, so this route is somewhat longer than the last pre-Amtrak Empire Builder route through New Rockford. All told today, the detour route is about the same in running time as the regular route, all things considered.

The Fast Mail was trains 27 and 28. Trains 7 and 8 on the Great Northern were the Winnipeg Limited between St. Paul and Winnipeg. The Fast Mail name officially died on the Great Northern in May of 1960, when the Western Star (until this time trains 3 and 4) started using the Fast Mail's train numbers, 27 and 28. In reality, the consolidation of the Western Star and Fast Mail started in the mid-1950s. After then, the Fast Mail was consolidated with the Western Star in various segments along its route, and depending on the time of the year. In the summer months when travel was heavy, especially to and from Glacier Park, and during the Christmas holiday season, the Fast Mail and Western Star operated separately, and always did (until 1960) between St. Paul and Minot. Depending on your interpretation of absolute date of discontinuance, the Fast Mail passed on 7 to 12 years prior to 1967.

When the Western Star was created in 1951, it operated via Grand Forks, and stayed on this routing utnil May of 1960. Until May of 1960, trains 27 and 28 (Fast Mail) operated at least from St. Paul to Minot via New Rockford, and ran through to Seattle or consolidated with the Western Star, depending on the season, as stated above. In May of 1960, the Western Star assumed the Fast Mail's numbers 27 and 28, and began operating via New Rockford as did the Fast Mail. Trains 3 and 4, the "old" Western Star numbers remained on the St. Paul-Minot "Dakotan" that continued to operate via Grand Forks, connecting with the Western Star in Minot.

In the summer of 1968, the Dakotan was cut back to a St. Paul-Fargo service, and the Western Star was routed back via Grand Forks to fill the void, although the Winnipeg Limited continued to operate, along with the Western Star between Fargo and Grand Forks. In February of 1970, the Winnipeg Limited was discontinued between St. Paul and Grand Forks, and instead became a daytime stub train (retaining its 7 and 8 numbers until the BN merger a month later, and then they changed to 47 and 48) between Grand Forks and Winnipeg only, connecting with the Western Star in Grand Forks.

All passenger service in the area, except the Empire Builder, was discontinued effective May 1, 1971.
  by Gilbert B Norman

Well,Mr. Meyer, I see you have chosen to rejoin us here at railroad net.
  by vermontanan

With train 8/28 out of Minot the evening of April 3, and train 7/27 out of Fargo early morning April 4, the Empire Builder resumed its regular route through Rugby, Devils Lake, and Grand Forks. Due to flooding and frost heaves, the train will continue to see slow track delays. The forecast for the Red River Valley is temperatures only slightly above freezing with a big warmup not expected for at least a week. Maybe this will allow the remaining snow and ice to melt slowly enough that additional line closures do not result. We'll see.
  by icgsteve

I am going to be on it next week Sea-Chi, and wonder what the current situation is. I am most interested to hear from anyone who has ridden this train lately what the food service quality is and what the condition the sleepers are in. Any other short notes would also interest me.

Thanks
  by Rtrain

i'm a new assistant conductor out of seattle and i've worked the builder a few times. i haven't personally ate the food but i've been around it a lot and some co workers have eaten it in front of me and they said it was good, no complaints from them.
the sleepers appear to be in good shape from the ones i have seen, nothing too ragged or anything. i would love to take the builder further east than spokane one day myself, the scenery by glacier national park is beautiful. enjoy your trip!
  by icgsteve

i'm a new assistant conductor out of seattle and i've worked the builder a few times
In that case a second question: My 19 year old daughter will be boarding in Spokane, she has an open ticket and will be joining us in our sleeper but has no paper copy as I have it. Anything I should do to make sure that she has no trouble getting on? For instance detrain and go get her in the station?
  by EricL

She will probably not show up on the manifest as being in the sleeper with you, but that's okay. She is still allowed to come in there without paying extra, since the accomodation charge is per room and not per person. Just let the conductor and/or sleeper attendant know in advance. If the attendant doesn't know about having any work at an overnight stop, they'll probably try to stay in bed.

The food is okay. The salmon was usually a winner for me. The steak is so-so. "Vegetarian palenta" was pretty good last time I had it.

The sleeping cars? - well, pretty much all of them have undergone at least a visual update. Luck of the draw whether or not you get one with the more substantial upgrades (i.e., new toilets and showers). Amenities like ice and juice will vary by attendant. Most of the attendants on this route are very good, but some have a habit of squirreling things away rather than leaving them out for easy access. Oh, and in case you're unaware, if you're booked in the 732 car that means you're in the crew dorm. You shouldn't be, though, since the 731 car was recently put back on, and the bookings haven't quite risen high enough yet to fill it up.
  by wigwagfan

Rtrain wrote:the scenery by glacier national park is beautiful. enjoy your trip!
Second the comment, hopefully the weather will cooperate. You'll wake up right around Whitefish so hopefully you'll enjoy a nice breakfast in the Diner while passing through Glacier. (I haven't ridden the Empire Builder since 2003 but I always enjoyed breakfast on Amtrak...as long as I wasn't on the Portland section sans dining car.)

Going eastbound, sit on the left side (north facing) if possible so you'll be looking into Glacier, along the Middle Fork Flathead River and get a view of the Izaak Walton Inn and Glacier Park Lodge. (Make sure, though, that you get a glimpse of the West Glacier station and the Belton Chalet before entering the park on the south side of the tracks, about 20 minutes out of Whitefish.

Make sure to stretch your legs at Whitefish as it was always a crew change and smoke break. There's a neat Great Northern painted NW3 in the parking lot next to the platform, and on the opposite side of the depot is a GN "Bruck" bus. There's also a neat statue in the park in front of the depot, and of course the inside of the depot is itself worth a walk through.
  by icgsteve

Thanks a bunch. The only time I have done a northern route was pre-Amtrak, and was in the summer, so I am looking forward to this trip.

I am in 731, and the phone agent said that she put a notation of the open ticket that my daughter was to join us, though it does not show on my paper copy. I got what looks to be the lowest bucket sleeper fares (roomette and bedroom) less than a week out, so there must be a fair amount of extra space on this train.
  by Rtrain

icgsteve wrote:Thanks a bunch. The only time I have done a northern route was pre-Amtrak, and was in the summer, so I am looking forward to this trip.

I am in 731, and the phone agent said that she put a notation of the open ticket that my daughter was to join us, though it does not show on my paper copy. I got what looks to be the lowest bucket sleeper fares (roomette and bedroom) less than a week out, so there must be a fair amount of extra space on this train.
i'll pm you the rates and you can tell for sure if its the lowest bucket if you want.
  by John_Perkowski

I'd have a photo of your daughter, perhaps even a copy of the photo ID. I'd visit with Mr Conductor and your attendant before you arrive in Spokane, so they are expecting her and know her space is on your ticket.

Enjoy the trip with her :)
  by AMTK1007

John_Perkowski wrote:I'd have a photo of your daughter, perhaps even a copy of the photo ID. I'd visit with Mr Conductor and your attendant before you arrive in Spokane, so they are expecting her and know her space is on your ticket.

Enjoy the trip with her :)
The Attendant in this case will be the most important because the train crew changes in Spokane...