• All Things Empire Builder

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

by jp1822

It would be great to see dining cars on some corridor routes, but if they are not appearing on Amtrak's main asset - the NEC - I doubt we will see them elsewhere. Moreover, the food one gets on the Portland section of the Empire Builder is often comparable to what some passengers get in First Class Acela Express. For one meal on the "Portland" Empire Builder, I can put up with the lack of diner in exchange for the windows and view a Sightseer Lounge can offer versus if a Diner/Lounge (converted from a Superliner 1 Diner) was to operate on the route.

by Tadman

Maybe I've been staring at the screen for too long, but I seem to recall seeing #6 pull into CUS at the Canal St. crossing with two lounges and a diner. This was 1.5 weeks ago.

As for diners on corridors, I can't see that happening, but I still advocate at-seat meals and an airline-style cart. If you have to reserve your tickets online a few days beforehand, can't you reserve a meal at the same time? That way, the commissary at CUS or NYP knows to load "X" beef wellingtons, "Y" ham/cheese, and "Z" vegetarians plus 10% above the ordered number for "fudge" factor or stragglers. Meanwhile, a diner or lounge isn't required. I'd further suggest that the next order of corridor coaches gets center doors like gallery cars, so that a snack counter can be run from the closed vestibule as on Metra. But I think gallery cars for corridor are wise for a number of reasons, especially Chicago/LA/Seattle area corridor trains.

by AMTK1007

Tadman,

Number 6 (or was it 8) probably was bringing a DHE lounge back from the west coast, or did you catch #8 on March 8 when there was a parlor as DHE

(DHE = Dead Head Equipment)
  by Tom

Just booked roomette 18 on #8 for the end of July. Guess I was lucky to get any sleeping space at all. I've examined diagrams of crew cars, and read some other forums about it, and feel ok about having to sleep in the crew car. There was talk of sleepers being on rear of the train, w/ the coach attendant handling the "crew" roomettes. Is anyone familiar with how the EB configuration is these days? Is it the traditional sleepers up front? Has anyone ridden in a crew car roomette?

by wigwagfan

The Empire Builder is a little different - because of the Seattle section + Portland section, the Portland sleeper will be on the opposite end of the train as the Seattle sleepers. However the Portland sleeper is always known as part of train 27/28 even east of Spokane.

My experience has been that the Seattle section will have sleepers at the head end (behind a baggage car), then dining car, then Seattle coaches (two or three depending on season), then the Portland Sightseer, then the Portland coaches (usually two), then the Portland sleeper. One of the Portland coaches will be a coach/baggage.

Else, coach passengers would have to walk through the sleeper car when the train is combined to access either the Sightseer or the Dining car; or the train would require significantly more switching in Spokane to break apart the train consists. Keep in mind that the station stop in Spokane is at midnight, so it's not a good idea to be switching cars around when people are trying to sleep. (On a positive note, you don't have to worry about as many passengers trying to get on/off the cars.)

by EricL

Mr. Halstead hit the nail on the head as far as the consist goes. As far as being in the crew car goes, it isn't so bad. You still get all the same amenities, but the only catch is that the attendant will probably pay less attention to the "extra" rooms as opposed to the ones in his/her Sleeper proper. No, it is not a coach attendant, it is the attendant from the nearest sleeper (which will be 731/831 for the time you are traveling).

If you didn't know, all the trans-dorm cars are Superliner IIs. This means that they are not updated with all the pretty decorations and details that the Superliner I overhauls got. It's still basically the same thing, though. Word of advice - to use the toilet or shower, go over to the adjacent sleeper, instead of using the ones in the dorm car. Not only will the crew appreciate it, but you will enjoy the roominess and updated appointments of the refurbished facilities.

Also, bring earplugs, because you will be hearing a lot of the horn while you are trying to sleep.

Finally, expect to lose time between MSP-CHI and arrive 30-90 minutes late. The tie gangs will be out in force on the CP.

by AMTK1007

Eric H is correct except that both the Seattle and Portland sections are carded for 2 coaches each. Also starting today there is a Minneapolis set out coach that runs between Midway and Chicago and is put on the train behind the Portland Sleeper
Last edited by AMTK1007 on Fri May 23, 2008 2:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by John_Perkowski

I've been aboard various lead sleepers on the CZ. Yes, you hear the horn, but it's not obnoxiously loud, imo...

by Tom

I appreciate the knowledge of the folks in our forum! Thanks for the tip about the shower. I'm looking forward to the refurbished EB, and the "cooked from fresh" meals. Also, I think I'll enjoy hearing the horn; hope my wife feels the same way about it...
  by transitrider

Did anyone had a chance to watch this tv show on History channel when Matt was giving a hour full show rom CHI to SEA on Empire Builder? I was amazed how behind the scences how Amtrak does the work... I see Empire Builder has better menu for food, that what I was told, true?

Matt says at the time when Empire Builder left CHI, it had 400 passengers and with 2 engines and a baggage car and 12 superliners heading to SEA.

I wish there is more tv shows to make story like this because it's so educational for everyone of us.
  by gprimr1

The food is good, but I think all Amtrak food is good. :) They do cook it though on the train, instead of just warm it up.
  by atsf sp

Theres a contest every year for the best chef on Amtrak, he then teaches the others.
  by mtuandrew

http://www.amtrak.com/servlet/ContentSe ... 8294278918

The Empire Builder has been detoured from its normal route from Fargo through Grand Forks, Devils Lake and Rugby due to the flooding Red River of the North. The river's projected crest is 43 feet above flood stage in Fargo, and somewhere near 60 feet in Grand Forks, so it wouldn't surprise me at all if the Builder was cut short at Minneapolis for the next week.
  by Gilbert B Norman

Home again--

Interesting to learn, Mr. MTU

It appears we are now back to the Empire Builder's and Western Star's pre A-Day routing through New Rockford. Prior to A-Day, Grand Forks was served by the Winnipeg Limited (347A WB) and The Dakotan (135P WB), The Incorporators obviously wished to serve Grand Forks, so the Builder has been routed through there since A-Day.

This is a rare mileage opportunity "for those tuning in late" (and somehow I think that means 80% of the members here as the median age here is likely about 30; I think one must be at least 50 to have memories of pre A-Day riding)
  by Vincent

The flooding doesn't seem to have impacted the Builder's timekeeping. I travelled between Seattle and Portland on Sunday/Monday and all schedules for 7/8/27/28 were operating normally.