• Alco power swap in Batavia.

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

by thebigham

The S6 and another GVT Alco was at Bison Yard Friday.

by Otto Vondrak

hey sixaxlealcoII- take it easy.

by NS59

What days are they working out in Batavia now" Last I knew its was generally on Wed. I would like to catch the 1801 before it leaves

by Nathan M3

The 2035 is headed to the Falls Road. Can't wait to occupy that right hand seat. It's been way too long since there was an RS 32 on the Falls Road.
When it arrives the 1804 is supposed to be headed for Scranton.

The 1801 is in need of some TLC. Perhaps they can even fix her list, she leans to the right (even more when WNYP431 is running her but that's another story. Speculation is that after some work and a new coat of the "Corporate Colors" the 1801 will come back to Batavia.

As for the corn trains on the Falls Road, the latest we were told is around the end of December. Possibly a Christmas Present?

by Nathan M3

Batavia work is generally on Tuesday & Friday from late moring on. If we need to go across to the Lehigh that's Wednesday followed by any work back in the city

by TB Diamond

Alco S6 1044 has been modified with a EMD prime mover, this being related to me by a GVT employe.

by Nova55

TB Diamond wrote:Alco S6 1044 has been modified with a EMD prime mover, this being related to me by a GVT employe.
I sure hope your joking...1044 was all alco when I seen her 2 weeks ago..

The EMC switcher was modified with an EMD engine, before GVT got it...

by pablo

Hey Nathan! You leave that John alone. It's dinner muscle!

Dave Becker

by EDM5970

SAAII's comments about the S-6 being appropriate for Batavia are right in the money. Using a switcher there frees up a road unit for better utilization elsewhere. Read my comments on the Tioga Central thread, TE v. HP, if you question GVT's decision to use a switcher at Batavia.

The SC was built with a Winton 8-201 engine. Beth Steel and/or Beth Mines replaced the 201 with an 8-567 many years ago. No way is Alcodoc going to replace an Alco prime mover with an EMD.

by Farmer Joe

Hey Nathan! Glad to see you are posting. Someone has to take the reins after WNYP! AND if you get any wind of a corn train, be sure and contact Darien Central......I'll be out there. :wink: Still bummed about missing that Amtrak on the Peanut.

Joe

by TB Diamond

Well, the good folks at GVT may well have been pulling my chain for the sake of levity re: the EMD prime mover in 1044. Like many of you, I do hope so.
  by lvrr325

sixaxlealcoII wrote: Perhaps your assumption is flawed and locomotive horsepower is really not a good representation of traffic level. Les very likely has it right, the attributes of a smaller locomotive in an environment like Batavia make it an ideal candidate for such an operation. The RS-18 may have been too big, too long, and too heavy but that was the best locomotive for the job at the time. Now that the 1044 has got roller bearings, been rebuilt and repainted it might be an ideal replacement ! Maybe that's what they had in mind all along ?

SAAII
A smaller locomotive, is a smaller locomotive, which was the point of the post, though it may have been lost on some readers.

The only track on those lines I can imagine having any issues with a larger unit would be the various connector tracks used to connect the bits and pieces of LV, Erie, and original NYC to one another and to the CSX mainline. That RS18 used to work the former LV for the Owego & Hartford prior to GVT purchasing it, so it's used to some light rail conditions.

by WNYP431

Hey! "Nathan" gothisself a computer! Whoa! What's next, 'letric lights outdare?

See? I told you guys......"I can't WAIT to occupy that right hand seat....." I knew it...I just knew it. The makeup kit and haircurlers will be flying this week for sure. Don't NOBODY take this kids' picture for crying out loud!!!

And yes, it IS Dinner Muscle. I R A Engineer too, you know. Dolly Madison and I usually do the Mechanical inspection together, followed by rules & safety briefing with Tim Horton. After I decide which side of me will hang off the seat, we get underway....

Just pray for me this week - in the rain - while I'm at the mercy of this
RS-thirtywhatever's maiden voyage with Gilligan at the wheel, groping her every contour.

Oh, and there's still a chance "this Ethanol Plant just might not go up"....we'll have to wait and see.

by WNYP431

Oh, and by the way, I'm not the ONLY one who can make an Alco creak like the deck of the Pequod when I get on it....

by roadster

Both units were sitting on the east end of South 9 By the Hump at Frontier, attached to a train. I imagine waiting for a road frieght to pickup and deliver.