• Albany NY-Burlington VT test run May 7

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

by Amtrak700

Well, as usual the date was changed. It is now set to MAY 7 for the train, if i hear anymore Ill post it.
  by Raakone

Does this mean a train that runs between Albany and Burlington? Is this a new route, or a proposed rerouting of the Ethan Allen Express?

~Ra'akone

by gprimr1

I'm not sure, this would imply that they are testing track conditions and geometry for expanding or creating new service.

by trainhq

I think they had proposed to do some track work in the
areas south of Burlington a few years ago; don't know how much, if any, got done. I think the tracks overall are in fair, if not great, shape. Still, it would be nice if
they got service to Burlington and Middlebury.

by islandtransit

Rerouting the Ethan Allen Express makes sense(or renaming it) since Fort Ethan Allen is no where near the current terminal(I know, it's not the most important thing, but hey, c'mon).

I thought Amtrak wasn't allowed to expand though.

by gprimr1

I imagine the state of Vermont is paying for alot of it, in that case, it is allowed to work with states to add trains.

by CNJ

Are any of our fourm residents in Vermont going to watch and perhaps take shots of the test train tomorrow?

by shadyjay

Most likely not - I'll be mid-state, but near Rutland, but have to work. I hope to be on the excursion train from Burlington to Rutland in a couple of weeks though.

by Greg Moore

Hmm... I have free time.... not sure I have that much free time.

Too bad it's not a revenue run. :-)

by SimplySam

Like to give it a chase...does anyone have at least a rough idea of its "schedule"?

by CNJ

If anyone gets a shot of this train on this test run, it would be great if you could post it here.

by wigwagfan

MODERATOR'S NOTE:

Originally posted in a duplicate thread:
Amtrak700 wrote:Equipment deadheading up on tr #291 tonite 1 P-42, 1 cafe car, car 10001 "corridor clipper". Scheduled dep. from Rud. is 9am

by Skullitor

Is this the new Amtrak that will run over the west end of Guilford?Then up via Bennington?Or was that dropped?
Skull :wink:

by shadyjay

Tracks from Rutland, south to Bennington and the Pan-Am connection are in rough shape, though most of it (except the Pan-Am connection) sees service, albeit locals. Track would need A TON of work to get up to Amtrak standards. I'm guessing the easiest way to expand with the less cost would be to send the Ethan Allen via its existing route, then north to Burlington from Rutland, as those tracks are in much better shape. Guess I'll find out soon enough.

by CNJ

So did anyone in Vermont get to see this test train? Any pictures available? Was it carried on the local news there?