• Albany NY-Burlington VT test run May 7

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

by Skullitor

islandtransit wrote:But then what about the places between Rutland and Burlington? Is there any way to run it from Boston maybe?

I assume the plan is to have the Ethan Allen Express turn around at Rutland

Sure,I.T. ; it's simple really(Which is why it won't happen! ) CSX thru Worcester,Ma to the already in place switch in Palmer near CP-83.Then up the NECR to Bellows Falls,Vt.Then up the Green Mountain to Rutland and on to Burlington,St.Albans,VT. And lets finish the fantasy,MONTREAL,QC. :wink: If they Amtrak / Via Rail / CN can get it together, A Boston to Montreal daily train(Round Trip) would be a huge hit.
No need to rebuild the Northern.
Skull

by CNJ

Gilbert B Norman wrote:Mr. Ultra, you have a point:

COTS Cleaned, Oiled, Tested and Stenciled (railroad air brakes).

This means the periodic air brake maintenance that Amtrak chose to defer on the Amfleet cars they sent to New Orleans for storage.

I thought such was a generally accepted term within the railroad industry - but then, my last railroad paycheck was over twenty five years ago.
In my line of work we call that "Commercial Off The Shelf"

by Skullitor

CNJ wrote:

This means the periodic air brake maintenance that Amtrak chose to defer on the Amfleet cars they sent to New Orleans for storage.

I thought such was a generally accepted term within the railroad industry - but then, my last railroad paycheck was over twenty five years ago.
In my line of work we call that "Commercial Off The Shelf"
:-D Good one. :wink:
Skull

by Railjunkie

The train will run up the B&M to Hoosic through Bennington, Manchester, Rutland, Middlebury and Burlington.

by theozno

On my way home today from WRJ-VT to STM-CT the Vermonter had a 7 car consist and 3 diesel trains. ( 3 diesel to new haven) I thought that was a little bit odd.
did they say what they were doing with the test train afterwards because the vermonter I thougt was only a 5 car consist with 1 or 2 diesels
-OZ
shadyjay wrote:saw nothing on the news, yet i JUST got home from work... unfortunetly i was a good 30 miles or so east of rutland. if i do hear anything, i'll hollah.

by Greg Moore

Railjunkie wrote:The train will run up the B&M to Hoosic through Bennington, Manchester, Rutland, Middlebury and Burlington.
Slight correction, that would be North Bennington.

Unfortunately rail service to Bennington proper is long gone.

by ne plus ultra

Thanks. It probably is generally accepted. I may be further from the railroad industry than many of the participants. I mostly come at this from an interest in environmentalism and transportation. By the way, when I make up spurious other acronyms, I'm not trying to make fun of you, so I hope you take it the right way. I'm just having fun with the possibilities. After I posted, I came up with my favorite - Charm of the South.

by Railjunkie

The reason for the extra power and cars was the test train was added to the south bound Vermonter. It was supposed to come down on Tuesday but there was a heat kink on the NECR just south of BRA.

by pablo

I just re-read this thread. What train is running through North Bennington and Manchester? I am confused. I thought that track would not see one of these passenger or test trains.

David Becker

by Vincent

Here's a link to pretty comprehensive railroad glossary:

http://www.spikesys.com/Trains/rr_defns.html
  by wigwagfan

MODERATOR'S NOTE:

I'm beginning to believe this thread is exhausted. The intent was regarding a special test train that may or may not have taken place on May 7th, then was (IIRC) rescheduled.

Do we have any further information on that specific, one-time test train? If not, let's consider this thread wrapped-up, shall we?

Thanks,
  by singingbreakman

Hi guys, greetings from Vermont. I just wanted to answer some specific questions people had.

Extending Amtrak service to Burlington is a desire of the state, but I'm told by the state director of rail that it's not imminent and that a rebuild to 59mph is needed first (some of the track north of Vergennes is already good for 59, but not south of there).

There is a plan eventually for service via N. Bennington and Manchester, but not anytime soon.

The train did run (a friend was on it) and the equipment went south on the back of the Vermonter, which explains the long consist.

Christopher
(writing from Putney VT, on the NECR)

by CNJ

Thanks for you report Chris.

Please be sure to keep us in formed on any further developments for the Ethan Allen extension.